Hello!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by AmeteurBuilder, Nov 2, 2019.

1. AmeteurBuilder

AmeteurBuilder Member

Hello, I learned about R/C warship combat on YouTube, and wanted to get into it, and eventually found this website! I have never built a balsa R/C before, but i am hoping to learn. I also wish to know how i can join a Battle group, is there anything Special i need to do to join one? there are just so many questions!

2. Nibbles1

Nibbles1 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about clubs near Minnesota, but I'm sure there's one not too far from you... There is GLAS (I think thats what its called) in Michigan... Welcome. It's really fun.
    You don't really need anything as most (maybe all) clubs have loner boats.
    To join a group just walk up to them on a battle day and your set. But do contact them first.
    Well feel free to voice them, this is the place!

Edit: BTW there are yearly fastgun nats (never been to one) so you could go there...

3. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Portpolarbear.com
    That is the Mn website. We also have a local email list to keep you up to date on battles and building days. Let me know if you want to get on it.

4. AmeteurBuilder

AmeteurBuilder Member

I was at my local hobby shop, and i saw a portpolarbear sign, and that made me decide it was high time learned more about this. now the portpolarbear website is bookmarked on my laptop. I am going to try to learn more, before i start battling, but thanks.

5. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Must have been Hub Hobby.
    Check out the articles on the PPB site and Tyler’s battling videos on YouTube. There a link on the front page.
    I live in Chan. where we battle. We have others in EP, Plymouth and around the metro. We are you at. Best way to find out about ships is see one. My basement building area is open for viewing.

6. AmeteurBuilder

AmeteurBuilder Member

I want to join the port polar bear group, but do not know how to even begin. just a lot of anxiety about the whole thing is holding me back. if i knew exactly what to do to join, trust me i would. when i was nine, i found a YouTube video about r/c warship combat. up until then, i believed the closest i could get to warships, was the plastic models on my shelf. when i found out this was a thing, my life changed. but i felt i was too young at the time. six years later, and i want to try battling, but do not know how to start. my frustration is immense. when i say i want to learn more, i mean i want to learn how to join.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  7. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Don't make this too hard, no need to be anxious about it. Here's a rough outline for what you should do:
    1. Talk to your parents, make sure they are in support of your ideas/desires
    2. Contact Bob (above) offline and figure out a mutually agreeable time to meet. Ask to get on the email list
    3. Go with parent(s) to meet Bob, see some boats, learn more, find out about how to get started

8. Nibbles1

YES!!!!!! A plastic modeler like me!!!!
    I started a 1/700 waterline series club (that's our focus but other models are welcome) at our school. @greechronicles is my partner in crime and is an amazing plastic modeler.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  9. AmeteurBuilder

AmeteurBuilder Member

I mostly did plastic models when i was younger, and after learning ship history and design, began to design my own. even started building one, but never got past the hull stage. heck i never even finished the hull, the only material i had to work with, was dollar store foam. if you want, i could post some photographs of one of my early designs. the blueprints for the one i started building got destroyed somehow.

10. Nibbles1

Wow. Okay. We have a long history of warship construction.

11. AmeteurBuilder

AmeteurBuilder Member

Yeah.
    But never with balsa wood, so this is all new to me.