Help finding a radio

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by Wayne, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Wayne

Wayne Member

Hello all. I’m new here and please excuse me if you’ve gone over this before. I am trying to decide what radio to get for my newest build, a scratch build of a three masted topsail schooner. I’ve been asking around on other forums and someone suggested I contact this group.
    I am trying to find a radio that is programmable, has the capacity to run up to 20 models and most of all can be able to change sticks from spring loaded to ratcheted. I need to set and let go of at least 3 of the 4 stick functions. I’ve heard that some radios have a hatch in the back where “screws” can be turned to switch from the springs to ratchet but I can’t find them searching the net and my eyes are starting to go crossways! Can anyone here help me?
    Thanks for any help or advice given.
    Wayne

2. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

ZARUBA1987 likes this.
  3. Wayne

Wayne Member

Thank you very much! I’ll give hobby king a call later today.

4. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

I guessing you are controlling servos for the sails, and using it to set them and have them hold their position?

The knobs on that can be set to any channel. if you notice, there is more knobs and switches than there are channels on it. I have the FlySky X version so I know that can be done. If those would work, it's quite a cheap and easy way to have 3 channels that don't recenter (the throttle channel being the 3rd).

Mode 1 and Mode 2 are what side the throttle stick is on, mode 1 the stick is on the right, mode 2 on the left.

5. Wayne

Wayne Member

wdodge, Thanks for the info. I called a company in Miami yesterday that sells FlySky radios. The tech guy said that he didn’t know of any radio in the FlySky line that would or could be made to not self center. In my quick search, I wasn’t able to find a phone number for FlySky so I could talk to them directly.

6. wdodge0912

Lol. That's funny. I emailed Hobbywing about their 880 dual motor esc asking what to increase the turns to using dual motors, as their website suggests to do, and they had no idea either. Im using that in my ships, but also using it in my PT109 model and wanted to make it faster with lower turn motors

7. Wayne

Wayne Member

Still trying to find a tech person at a factory or outlet that knows the answer for sure. I’m thinking they ought to man these places with members from these forums!
    By the way, are you a Dodge enthusiast? I play with 1930/31 Cadillacs.

8. wdodge0912

I'm not, I'm a Chevy and recently a VW guy actually. My last name is Dodge.

9. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

Any radio can have the self centering removed. Simply remove the springs from the gimbals.

10. Wayne

Wayne Member

RC nut,
    I do realize that but then without the ratchets, they tend to flop around.

11. Wayne

Wayne Member

wdodge...any relation? I used to run a yacht for Horaces’ granddaughter, Cee-Cee. Some interesting tails there!
    Wayne

12. rcaircraftnut

Hello radios don't use the ratchet either. They use a metal tab to apply pressure on the same can in the same way just without the knurling. Easy to add if you can find some.

13. Wayne

Wayne Member

Dear “nut”,
    I have a Spectrum DX7 which I was told would work the way I wanted if I bought the little strips. I bought 4 so as to have a spare if I screwed one up. Once I received them, I find that it has no posts or holes to screw them in place. I tried to return them but sales guy says “non refundable” they are discontinued and they were happy to find a turkey to pay for them!
    Could be these might fit. Steel (maybe SS) with a pressed notch in the center. I’ve since been told by another tech guy at Horizon Hobbies that my radio won’t work the way I want it to, hence the search for a “ratcheted radio”.

14. rcaircraftnut

Should be the ones. You may have to take a gimbal apart and drill and tap it for the screw hole.

15. rcaircraftnut

Could also get a parts radio from eBay ECT and use the gimbal from it giving two ratcheting gimbals.