Help save the USS Texas BB-35

Discussion in 'General' started by Bsquared, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Bsquared

Bsquared Member

Anachronus likes this.
  2. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

What they need is $50M to build a dry berth around her. Anything else is just postponing the inevitable. A single Texas high school district can raise $70M to build a super stadium but the State of Texas can't raise the funds to save it's naval namesake? :(

upload_2017-11-9_10-26-7.png

Bsquared and Beaver like this.
  3. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

The football fields are way more important to way more people. Some of their HS fields are nicer than D3 or D2 college fields and more people go to those games too. A big HS will get 5-8,000 fans.

Bsquared likes this.
  4. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

I donated through Wargaming. Not sure if the campaign will raise 50 million but it might be enough to get closer so that the state legislature only has to cough up half that. Other ships in danger like the Olympia or Alabama might not be so lucky.

Bsquared likes this.
  5. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

I dont think the alabama is in danger? Nothing on their site. https://www.ussalabama.com/
    Olympia was in danger, but they seem to have a temporary reprieve.

Bsquared likes this.
  6. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

Glad to hear about the Olympia, I think it was 2 years ago, the park service had a warning on the website that it could close permanently due to damage at any time. Alabama was pretty rough when I visited in 2010-11 (can't remember), good to see some investment!

7. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Just visited the Alabama in August of ‘16. She looked pretty solid. Better than the Texas by far.

8. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

The topsides on the Alabama were done up for the movie "Indianapolis" - take what you can, but to use a battleship to po
    She was used for a movie, so they had some money to spend on her. While a battleship was used to portray a cruiser, any money is good money.

Where was the movie Indianapolis filmed?
    Principal photography on the film began on June 19, 2015 in Mobile, Alabama with many scenes shot aboard the battleship USS Alabama