High Speed Camera

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by Kotori87, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

In my quest to identify why some of my 3d-printed cannons do not fire reliably, I printed a transparent cannon so I could see what happens inside. Unfortunately the firing sequence is too fast for me to see with my bare eyes, or even with the 120fps "high speed" mode of my cell phone's camera. I need something faster. Does anybody know of a camera with decent high-speed capability that won't cost more than my entire fleet?

2. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

High speed mode on phones often uses duplicate frames to "slow it down". Reality is, it's more like 60fps. I have a mirrorless camera that shoots true 120 in HD. Send me a gun or two and I'll film it once my camera is back from repairs? With extra lighting I can increase the shutter speed enough to practically freeze motion and we can flip through each frame and see exactly what's happening.

Panzer and darkapollo like this.
  3. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Can't the GoPro Hero8 Black do 240fps (@1080p)? That might be a good option if you dont want to answer the question "How much does your entire fleet cost?" Phantoms arent cheap, but they sure are fun to play with. (some places will let you rent one, no idea how much that costs but if you're that dedicated it could be an option)

4. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

What problems are you having with your cannons? Might be able to help diagnose them

5. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I have a whole other thread dedicated to my cannon woes, but I'll summarize here. The vast majority of the cannons I print have some sort of feed issue, occasionally failing to feed during the first half of the magazine. Roughly 1 in 20 prints mysteriously works perfectly, without a single physical difference from the others but also not a single feed failure no matter what I do. I printed the transparent cannon in hopes of seeing the failures as they happen, but alack and alas, this transparent cannon seems to work perfectly. Not a single feed failure yet, and I've run a couple hundred rounds through it.

@SnipeHunter I had no idea there were camera rental services. That may just be the solution. Time for research.

6. PushkinPrior

PushkinPrior Member

If you can’t rent one, I’d just check around with friends to see if anyone has a camera you could use. It’s no use blowing all that money just to fix a cannon! ;):D