Historic Battle

Discussion in 'Full Scale' started by Gascan, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Quick! Without using Google-Fu, the anniversary of what major battle took place over the weekend?

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

A glorious victory for the Kaiserliche Marine!

3. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

They buggered off.

4. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Well Nick, I appreciate the effort, but because I am building a ship to join the Grand Fleet (the real victors that day) I must inform you that you are mistaken... about a great many things... On the other hand, Britain learned that naming a ship Invincible does not make it so, so I can see why you might make the mistake of thinking Germany won :cool:

5. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

On this day in Naval history another major battle occurred. This one was a bit more decisive. Anyone got this one without looking it up?

6. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

I'll tell you, I should have known this. I study that battle a LOT. :) I sat here brainstorming, trying to figure out what it was. So I gave up and looked it up. Keep kicking myself for not knowing it. :)

7. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Interestingly enough, submarines from both sides were involved in the fighting. A submarine from one of the combatant nations the only enemy vessels lost. Submarines on the other side failed to score any hits, though their efforts lead to further fighting the next day.

8. Beaver

Plus a submarine from one nation caused two ships of the other nation to collide which resulted in one ship being sunk later on.

On this day, almost 70 years ago, one of the greatest armadas of all times was formed. Probably easy, but can anybody guess it without google?

9. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

heh, that's a good one, Beaver. one of the guys on my ship was going around all day asking people about what happened 70 years ago yesterday. He said I was the first person to get it without help. I correctly identified the major participants, the operation name, and many of the major events. Unfortunately I forgot the name of the simultaneous operation led by a famous pistol-wielding general to mislead and confuse the opposing force. Anyone care to guess at that one?

10. Hovey

Hovey Admiral (Supporter)

hmm, large armada would be the battle of midway? Or the other correct answer might be the diversionary landings before General Patton's presumed invasion on the Pais-de-Calais region. Its kinda hard to tell as they both happened at about the same time of year. Both were large and important battles in their own ways and both were a signal to the Axis that their days of glory were coming to an end.

11. Beaver

The large armada was D-Day,Normandy landings, Overlord, Operation Neptune, my birthday, whichever you prefer. :) Midway was the question asked on the fourth.

12. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

And of course Jutland was the first battle referred to.

Can anyone think of any other major historical events this month?

13. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Beaver, you were born on D-Day? Wow, that's pretty special... :D

14. Beaver

Yup, not everybody has that type of bragging rights. :cool:

15. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

My brother has some unusual bragging rights.... I like to say he was the second major bomb dropped on August 6th (1969 in his case, 1945 for the original)

16. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

No recent battles on my B-day, but the USS Hornet was launched on it in 1943.
    OOPS! I missed a great and historic battle... in 1890, Navy beat Army 24-0 in the first Army-Navy game.