History of R/C Naval Combat

Discussion in 'General' started by JustinScott, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Craig

Craig Active Member

only sink points..... that might be interesting to try.....

2. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

HI guys I am glad to hear that both of old friends are still going !
    Tell Don I finally built the South Dakota!!

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

It's really funny, Buddy. I guess Don tries to get everyone to build one :) He gave me a set of plans at the last MWCI Nats :) If I hadn't gone axis, I'd have done it. Just the axis is getting badly outnumbered in my region and it didn't seem fair to have 4 axis vs 10 allies at regionals. It's a shame because I think SoDak and North Carolina are beautiful. I want to build a NC, but there are so many of those these days that it'd feel wrong.

But yeah, Don would be thrilled that you finally built one, I'll tell him at the March battle in Florida. He actually built a North Carolina and I'm going to try and "help him test" his new ship :)

4. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Here's a date NASWACA formed by Hal Smith around 1980. He looked at small gun and was not satisfied with it,. He formed the first big gun group. So I would say small gun was formed first. Now as far as Queens Own being a member of small gun I do not think so. After NASWACA disbanded those members formed Queens Own.

5. admiraljkb

admiraljkb Member

For the BigGun branching, it went IRCWCC then NASWCA, then Queens Own AND WWCC out of the remnants of NASWCA, and then SCBG shortly after that. Lot of historical articles on the subject at RCWarships.org in the Naval War College MKII. Surprised/disappointed that wasn't mentioned after all the effort that went to get them from the various sources and the efforts/time those sources spent, and then the editing and posting... :) Course, I'm always interested in getting more historical items up for folks to be able to see. I'll likely be contacting some folks that have put info up in this thread to get some more info.

The historical articles collected so far trying to keep our history alive:
    http://rcwarships.org/rcwarships/nwc_new/?category_id=27&menuaction=phpbrain.uikb.index&cat=20

6. B24

B24 Member

7. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Slam Fest sounds good. I am hoping The Maker Fair would be the same venue. We have 1/144th scale big gun.Fast gun Group in Auburn and Queens Own 1/72nd group also in Auburn.This would truely promote the hobby. It would be a comparison of different ides and rules.