HMCS Uganda

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by Bob Pottle, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Steve Hill's ex-HMCS Onario has been renamed HMCS Uganda because his fiberglass superstructure matches Uganda, not the Swiftsure Class CLs.

For the last two days I've been correcting the aft superstructure, which is about 3/4" too long and prevented the aft turret from being installed in the right location. The structure is fiberglass so to correct it I had to cut off the excess length, and glass the resultant hole in the deck. Tomorrow I'll glass on a shorter rear end of the superstructure and install the aft barbette.

I'll be away for the weekend but next week will install the rebuilt cannons in the aft turret, do the test float to position the batteries, and complete the waterchannelling around them. That will finish the internal systems.

Another problem is to stabilize the hull sides by adding a pair of fiberglass braces across the hull at the middle of the forecastle deck and middle of the quarterdeck. The only cross member at present is a vertical bulkhead at the end of the forecastle deck so the hull flexes in and out and does not grip the molded decks and attached superstructures tightly enough.

What I thought would be a 2-3 week rebuild is into month three and I haven't started the superstructure detailing.

Bob

2. Bob Pottle

I cut off the curved and angled aft end of Uganda's fiberglass superstructure, using a razor saw to detach it from the deck and rest of the superstructure (it's all one casting from a mold). Then shortened the superstructure section ahead of it, gelcoated and glassed the resulting large hole in the deck (forming a new section of deck), and reattached the aft end of the superstructure with CA. I still have to glass the inside surfaces of the superstructure back together and glass the aft end back onto the deck.

The shortened superstructure allows the aft turret to be installed in the right location. Next step (after I get back to NS on the 12th) is to install the new aft barbette, turret and rebuilt BB cannons. The turrets now have scale size dummy barrels vs the much larger ones on the first set of turrets, and the turrets are the more detailed ones from Steve's latest molds.

Unfortunately I see no easy way to add more cross members to the hull under the deck so the hull sides will retain an undesirable degree of flexibility.

If all goes well the internals will be done within 2 weeks, maybe in time for a test run before the lakes freeze. The Uganda will then be shelved while I work on the Ibuki and Sri Syuthia hulls. Once those hull's internals are in I'll do some basic detailing of the Uganda's superstructure, adding the missing secondary armament, upper bridge levels and masts, then give it back to Steve for a partial resheeting and a repaint.

HMCS Uganda will ready for our first Treaty battles of 2009.

Bob

3. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Any Pictures Bob, it sounds interesting and im sure we'd all like to see how you build.

4. Bob Pottle

Boomer,
    I'll shoot some photos next week. The Uganda wasn't built the same way I build combat models but it's being modified to have a very similar internal layout. The mods have been limited by what was done before I volunteered to rebuild it.

I would have designed the deck differently so the hull would have been stronger/more rigid and the sides wouldn't be flexing in and out due to lack of cross-beams at sub-deck level. I always install fiberglass decks with molded in access hatch flanges and thin plexiglass or lexan hatch covers that fit flush with the deck. The decks are glassed to the hull and no subdeck is necessary. That method results in a very strong hull.

Bob

5. Bob Pottle

I'm back from new Brunswick after attending Remembrance Day ceremonies with Dad. Off topic, but Dad was interviewed yesterday by CTV re his experiences as a Sgt. in the American/Canadian First Special Service Force. The FSSF (aka The Devil's Brigade) was a unique bi-national commando unit that stands as an example of the close ties and cooperation between our nations. It was the predecessor of the American Green Berets and Canadian Parachute Battalion.

I got back to NS just in time to see the interview on the evening news, then did more work on the HMCS Uganda. The aft superstructure mods are complete and the rebuilt BB cannons will go in next, followed by a test float in the bathtub and completion of the internal layout this weekend. Photos will be posted when that stage is completed.

Bob

6. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

i saw that on tv

7. BoomerBoy17

It is nice to see that our countries have good relations. Actually, the border between canada and the USA is the largest undefended boarder in the world.

8. Bob Pottle

HMCS Uganda finally had a test float tonight after a few hours spent on Steve's home-made BB cannons, replacing the breaches and putting compound bends in the brass straight mags so the cannons sit properly in their new aft turret.

With the two gelcell batteries as far forward as possible the model is light in the bow. The waterline at the stern is just into the 1/4" tape but it's about 3/8" below the tape at the bow. On checking I found Steve's waterline wasn't level and rises toward the bow so the bow is really only 1/8" too high. A few ounces of lead ballast will correct the trim.

The final steps to complete the internals are to install the water channelling that will hold the batteries in position, add self adhesive lead ballast (for model airplanes) to bring the bow down, secure the BB cannons in place, and complete the end of the wiring harness that connects to the batteries.

At this point the exterior of the model looks pretty bad. About 8" of the stern is covered with large sheets of silkspan on both sides, though there are only a few BB holes. The hull needs to be sanded, have the BB holes recovered with small patches, then be repainted and have a new waterline tape applied.

Two of the 4 x 4" twin DPAA gun shields have been cast and the other two will be made by Tuesday. The completed secondary gun mounts will be installed next weekend. Portholes need to be drilled in the superstructure, after which the model goes back to Steve for installation of the receiver and a Dean's miniwhip antenna plus the missing foremast.

The model would benefit from considerably more detail topsides. I'll make the missing upper two levels of the bridge from styrene some time in the next few weeks after which the superstructure can be repainted.

Whew, I took on more than I expected with this reconstruction! Steve offered me a London Class CA hull for the work but I may opt for one of his Fiji/Uganda/Swiftsure hulls and build it as HMCS Ontario. The Ontario would have the same speed and firepower as the London (3 units) but a hull that's over 6" shorter and will turn faster. Another plus is that having rebuilt the nearly identical Uganda I know how to install the equipment in the Ontario.

Bob

9. Bob Pottle

The HMCS Ugnada's 'guts' are finally done so I can do some cosmetic work on the hull and superstructure. The hull is quite hard and was completely covered with large sheets of silkspan aft to patch only a few BB holes.

This evening the hull will get a thorough sanding and have small patches applied over the BB holes. Then it'll get a repaint and new waterline tape. I measured the waterline last night - it rose steadily toward the bow where it was 3/8" too high. That means the model was floating almost exactly on the correct waterline in the tub so will need little if any lead ballast forward.

Portholes will be drilled in the superstructure and funnel caps added. The forward funnel is part of the superstructure molding but leans forward. It'll be chopped off glassed on again in a vertical position. The wooden 02 level superstructure aft is too wide so I can't install the aft pair of twin 4" AA guns. It'll have to go back to Steve to be narrowed on his table saw.

If all goes well the model can be turned over to Steve next week. Photos will be taken when it's repainted. The lakes aren't frozen yet so he may be able to run speed trials. The outer shafts have been installed and are ready for drag discs or dummy props.

Bob

10. Bob Pottle

HMCS Uganda's hull got a prolonged sanding last night. There were multiple layers of paint and so much excess silkspan aft that a fair bit of the hull would have failed the penetrability test.

Buy using progressively finer sandpaper I was eventually able to get down to the original coat of paint and removed only a few small patches of the original silkspan. I have to re-seal a few areas of bare balsa and will repaint the hull and apply a new waterline tape tonight. this time the hull will have the horizontal blue panel carried in the Pacific campaign (see my photos of HMCS Prince Robert).

By the weekend I'll have added a little more superstructure detail and will return the model to Steve, who needs to install a radio antenna and the receiver before trials.

Then it's on to the next builds: CVL IJN Ibuki and Siamese gunboat Sri Ayuthia.

Bob

11. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Bob, are you still plnning to attend the build session on Sat?
    J

12. Bob Pottle

Hi Jay,
    Can't make the build session - I'm on call again and can't be more than 20 minutes from the hospital. If you see Steve Hill can you ask him to call me re the Uganda? He doesn't check his email often and phone messages I leave with the young ladies at his house don't seem to get passed on.

Uganda's in the midst of a repaint. My contributions to making it a battle ready model should be finished this weekend. Steve can pick it up anytime next week.

Bob

13. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Cool, I'll let him know.
    J

14. Bob Pottle

When I marked the Uganda's waterline last night it didn't look right on the model. I carefully checked that the model was level fore and aft and side to side then remarked the waterline. It was in the same place and still looked wrong.

Then I realized the problem was the Uganda's hull. The quarterdeck is flat but slopes steadily down to the stern, dropping 3/8" in 2'. With the lower hull red and the 1/4" black waterline tape in place the decreasing light grey freeboard aft is very obvious.

I think the blue panel carried in the Pacific needs to be applied. It starts aft of Y turret and goes up to the edge of the quarterdeck, so it'll help obscure the difference in freeboard between the stern and the break of the forecastle.

Portholes will be drilled in the superstructure tonight and the missing foremast and funnel caps will be added this weekend. I'm not sure what to do about the bridge, which is part of the fiberglass superstructure. It's about 3/4" too short (missing the compass platform and about half the height of the next level below) and the front of the superstructure and bridge is curved but should be flat with rounded corners.

I'm debating whether to: a)leave it as is and add an inaccurate upper bridge or b)cut off the curved front of the superstructure, re-glass it flat, chop off the bridge at hangar level and make a new bridge from styrene that can be bolted in place (after I glass in the hole in the hangar roof!). Option b) will delay hand-over by 1-2 weeks but will make for a nicer looking model.

Drat I really want to get going on the Ibuki!

Bob

15. Bob Pottle

HMCS Uganda is starting to look spiffier. The hull's been repainted with an ocean blue panel along the waterline rising to quarterdeck level and stopping short of bow and stern. This was the paint job Uganda had in the Pacific. The triple turret's guns have white blast bags, which look sharp against the grey turrets.

All the port holes I could find in WWII photos of Uganda have been drilled in the superstructure (photos show several port hole locations were changed after WWII).

The fiberglass forward funnel has been sawn off and is being lengthened 1/2". The funnels will get funnel caps in a couple of days.

Though the lower bridge isn't the right shape for Uganda I'm going to ignore that and make an accurate styrene compass platform to install above it. About 2-3 more days and my work on Uganda will be done. Rob Clarke has emailed me the plans for Ibuki's superstructure and flight deck so I'm keen to get started on converting the Mogami hull.

Bob

16. BoomerBoy17

any picture bob?

17. Bob Pottle

Boomer,
    I'm waiting until the superstructure looks a bit better before taking photos. Tomorrow I'm enlarging the 3/4" too short bridge by building a taller styrene one around it (the fiberglass one is also too narrow). I'll reattach the fiberglass fore funnel which was too short and got a 1/2" extension today.

I removed aft superstructure levels 02-03 which were the wrong shape and prevented the rear pair of twin 4" gun mounts from being installed where they should be. Steve will have to make the new aft superstructure, preferably not of solid pine this time - it should be lighter.

I'll shoot some photos tomorrow after the front funnel and bridge are added.

Bob

18. Bob Pottle

Photos were shot yesterday and will be posted this evening if I can remember how.

The inaccurate aft superstructure was removed and a new 02 level made and installed. (There was nothing above that except for the aft gun director tower and some AA guns.) The main mast was trimmed down and mounted and the lengthened (3/8") fiberglass fore funnel was installed.

Tonight the fiberglass bridge will be extended 1/4" higher and by Wednesday should have a styrene compass platform on top to complete it. Resin castings of door ways will be added by the weekend along with the 4 secondary guns and the foremast. That will complete my part of the rebuild so I can start the mold for Ibuki's carrier superstructure.

Bob

19. Bob Pottle

I'm still slogging away on the HMCS Uganda. Cast some watertight doors in resin yesterday and added them to the superstructure.

Raised the bridge to the correct height by wrapping 0.020" sheet styrene around the too short fiberglass bridge, then reinforced the extra height of styrene above that bridge by adding two layers of 0.060" styrene strips on the inside.

This PM I'll make the missing compass platform from styrene using the plans for the Swiftsure because it looks similar to Uganda's in photos. It won't match the lower bridge which is curved on front vs flat, but that can't be helped without making a new fiberglass forward superstructure (which I'm not going to do).

I'll add the forward tripod mast and funnel caps to complete basic detailing. At that point Uganda will be ready to go, if I can get Steve to read his email or check his phone messages. [:)]

Bob

20. Bob Pottle

Uganda's dual stern cannons have been installed: one last night and the other early this AM. By now the silcone will have set solidly.

Steve made an unusual variant of the straight cannon design with an L fitting at the loading end of the magazine so it protrudes though the 01 deck level. Good idea except that there are no gas tight mag caps available in that thread. That's one reason the cannons didn't fire very hard. The only fix I came up with was to stack 2 O-rings in each brass cap. They're not a tight fit and tend to fall out when the caps are removed. At least they make the caps gas tight so the CO2 will all go out the barrel.

The cannons were a pain to install. On one the vertical loading fitting wasn't soldered parallel to the T fitting and upfeed tube. With the end of the loading port through the deck the business end of the cannon was tilted sideways. I had to torch the cannon apart and resolder it so it sat vertically through the hole in the quarterdeck in proper allignment with its twin.

Had to play around with bending the brass tube magazines to get the gun breeches and barrels at the correct angle to the deck and parallel to each other. The mags were different lengths but the holes in the deck for the loading ports were the same distance from the turret so the longer cannon wouldn't fit properly. I had to gelcoat and glass the hole in the superstructure deck and drill a new one for the mag cap further forward. Anyway the cannons are in, secured with silicone, and the new aft turret fits tightly over the barrels.

Tonight the model gets 6 more W/T doors, funnel caps and maybe the foremast. I may add the missing hangar doors on the weekend, making them from styrene and CA gluing and pinning them to the blank aft end of the forward superstructure. Almost done!!

Bob