HMS Furious Project

Discussion in 'Washington Treaty Combat' started by Bob Pottle, May 14, 2008.

1. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing it. Should work out very nicely for rotates.
    Thanks,

2. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

The Furious hull project has developed some serious problems.

I've used a few types of plaster/drywall compound over the last 3 years of on and off work on the hull plug. They have different sanding characteristics and as the most recent skim coats of drywall compound are penetrated during fine sanding the softer plaster underneath sands away too quickly, causing many defects in the hull surface.

The second major problem is a warp in the bow that was minor on the Courageous but has increased to a 1/4" deflection to starboard at the keel (compared to the deck). The plywood forming the ram bow lacks lateral supports so there is no way to correct this other than making the ram bow considerably wider than scale below the waterline.

I'll have a final go at the plug this weekend but am afraid it won't be up to my standards and will have to be scrapped.

Bad Bob

3. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that.

4. Gettysburg114th

That is real bad news. Sorry to hear that. I've seen your hulls over the years and know that if it ain't right, you don't build it.

5. Bob Pottle

Things are looking better today. I spent 5 hours on the hull plug last night, using coarser sandpaper to get back down to the ribs, reskimmed and am getting a nice smooth surface this morning.

Also having success correcting the asymmetry in the warped bow ram by widening the ram on one side with drywall compound and sanding the other side a little narrower. The ram will end up about 3/16" wider than scale but that will make the narrow bow area easier to glass.

Looks like HMS Furious is back on track. The rain is holding off until tonight so the plug should be ready to seal from bow to stern skeg by this evening. The stern will need a few more hours work.

Bad Bob

6. Gettysburg114th

That is some great news Bob. Please post some pictures when you have time.

7. Bob Pottle

Shaping of the HMS Furious plug was completed this morning. It isn't as good as my Hood or Vanguard plugs but on par with the 1996 Courageous hull plug.

The multiple compound curves on the bulges and the continually curving bottom were major challenges. After repeatedly skim coating and sanding to try to get a perfect shape I realized it was as good as I can make it. When the mold is laid up I'll use an extra thick layer of gelcoat to allow sanding of any minor defects that remain.

The hull plug has received the first of 6 coats of pimer/sealer and should be ready to mold in 2-3 weeks. The mold will require some fine tuning so it probably won't be ready for hull production until mid-July. Will send photos soon. Can they be sent directly to the forum or should they be sent to Justin for posting?

Bad Bob

8. Gettysburg114th

Looking forward to seeing the pictures Bob.

9. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Great news. I don't think I would run one but it will be good for it to be on the water some where.

10. Bob Pottle

Clarification needed: 2007 Treaty Combat rulebook, section H. Warship Classes - Exemptions 5.c): ...Furious will be classified as both an aircraft carrier, and a battle cruiser.

The planned version was a battlecruiser, which would be Class 4. The final WWI version and rebuilt WWII version were pure carriers, Class 5.

Does the exemption refer to the 'as built' Furious which was a hybrid battlecruiser/carrier with a single 18" gun aft? If so, does it have 4 or 5 units and how can the BB cannons (3 or 4) be installed?

Bad Bob

11. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

I don't think it's been addressed Bob. I know we had talked about the Ise and Hyuga battleships, and IIRC we decided that they would remain battleships, so for consistency's sake I'd assume that Furious would remain a class 4 battlecruiser.

There's also a rule about class 4 or better ships being able to arm a single secondary aft with a 1.0 unit aft. For consistency's sake, I'd say that would apply in reverse to the Furious and she could arm a 1.0 unit gun forward (in the bow quadrant). The Strasburgs I have seen placed the gun in the aircraft hangar, so I'd say if you wanted to add it under the flight deck or superstructure you'd probably be good (remember the rule about placing a gun in the superstructure if the turret is too small is still in effect)

So if the above is accepted (as I mentioned, we hadn't talked about or addressed this situation) you'd have 4.0 units to play with. One of them can be split, which I would do. So, 1.0 unit bow gun, 1.5 unit sidemount (rotate because I don't like un-covered quadrants) in the aft turret and a 1.5 unit pump to keep you afloat.

I'm just kind of extending the logic behind some of the other rules, so it's all a guess.

12. Boatmeister

Boatmeister Active Member

Bob,

As the Furious was originally completed as a battlecruiser she rates as a 4 unit ship. As Mike said with the 2 Japanise hybrid battleships, we are dealing with them (like the other groups) as battleships, since they still retained 2/3 of their main armerment and wer not full carriers. As with the Furious, when she became a hybrid, she would retain her battlecruiser status. However when she was converted to a full fledge carrier, she actually gains 1 unit based on her tonnage as a carrier. I think that the Furious, Couragous and Glorious are the only converted carriers that gain a unit.

5 units = Battleships - 25,000 ~ 26,999 tons
    Battle cruisers - 30,000 ~ 34,999 tons
    Aircraft Carriers - 15,000 ~ 22,999 tons

4 units = Battleships < 22,500 tons
    Battle cruisers < 25,000 tons
    Aircraft Carriers < 14,999 tons

Another byproduct of this conversion is she actually retains her battlecruiser pump.

b) Battle cruisers and fleet aircraft carriers converted from battle cruiser hulls.
    i. 1 gal./min. capacity for a full one unit pump

So looks like she'd be a good ship regardless of her configuration.
    I hope this clears things up.

Eric

13. Gettysburg114th

Eric,
    You took the words right out of my mouth. Very well said.

14. crzyhawk

The thing to remember, is that as a carrier while she gains a unit, she loses sidemounts...an important distinction.

15. Gettysburg114th

Very good point Mike.

16. Bob Pottle

Thanks for the clarification on combat units - I was wondering what Furious would 'count as' in its hybrid configuration.

The hybrid counts as a battlecruiser but has only one gun barrel in the aft turret. If that gun is a sidemount, can it have a bow sidemount sticking out of the superstructure?

It would be interesting to build it as the hybrid with 2 sidemounts and a few biplanes on the forward flight deck.

Bad Bob

17. crzyhawk

I don't think that sidemounts would be allowed out of the superstructure in that configuration, but that's just speculation on my part.

18. Bob Pottle

If that's the case the hybrid version of Furious might be restricted to a bow gun under the forward aircraft launch ramp and a stern gun, which should be rotatable.

The 'as planned' two turret battle cruiser version would be more practical.

Bad Bob

19. the frog

the frog Member

Under treaty you could have a rotatable 75 shot front and rear just never on the same side at the same time. you are not restricted to splitting just one unit. so 1.5 front 1.5 rear and 1.0 pump would work fine. The courageous is the same way

20. crzyhawk

Actually, you are restricted to only splitting one unit.