HMS Furious Project

Discussion in 'Washington Treaty Combat' started by Bob Pottle, May 14, 2008.

1. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

The Furious mold is finished. I'll wax it today and may be able to make the first hull by Friday. If so Kim can post photos when we get back from vacation.

Bob

2. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Sounds good Bob, I'm looking forward to seeing pictures.

3. Bob Pottle

I wasn't able to make the first HMS Furious hull before leaving for vacation and wet weather prevented me from laying it up after I got back. Though it's still raining Kim's gone to a course in Latvia so I can fiberglass inside again [:D]. Beats working on the porch in the fog!

The mold's been gelcoated and will be glassed tomorrow morning. Kim does all the digital photo stuff on the computer but I have the camera manual and should be able to figure out how to download photos of the completed hull on Monday.

Bob

4. crzyhawk

Awesome. As I posted on the Canadian treaty thread, Courageous is getting her trials tomorrow, and I don't see anything stopping me from getting some good data on her performance for you which should translate well to your Furious.

5. Bob Pottle

The first Furious hull is done and turned out great! Photos to follow. I can hardly wait to build the 'Big C's' half sister and hope to see them teamed up in 2009.

Bob

6. crzyhawk

The Courageous was looking good on the water yesterday. I need to trim her aft a little bit as she's a bit bow heavy, but other then that she did well yesterday on trials. Her heavy nose caused her to cavitate quite a bit at first, but I have a long lead for my RX battery and moved it back between the motors and that cause her stern to squat just a little and she really took off. I forgot just how fast she was.

When I turned my heels towards the other battleship I was doing sea trials with, I was easily able to walk away. I think I am going to have some fun running her at Xenia.

7. Bob Pottle

Furious hull photos have been posted in the Photos section of the R/CNC forum.

Bob

8. Bob Pottle

The next step in construction of the Furious will start this weekend. I've had the deck plans enlarged to 1/144 scale and will make a one-use mold for the fiberglass decks.

Also got the turret drawings enlarged and was surprised by how much larger the single 18" gunhouse was than the standard British 15" twin turrets. The turret master and mold should be done by the end of the month. I want this beastie on the water by next spring and running reliably before 2009 Treaty Nats.

Bob

9. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Hey Bob,
    Any update on the Furious?