HMS HOOD

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by Bob Pottle, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Ian is back from sea and brought HMS Hood over Tuesday night (July 7). In our last session a couple of months ago he bought 2 of the cannon's I'd built for Hood. He didn't need dual stern guns so had to order another pair from BC. Two guns are 75 rd and two are 50 rd.
    Hood's pneumatic system was removed before it was sold several years ago as an unarmed model. It was intact in my spares box (waiting to go into the Vanguard) so we were able to copy it with mods for one less BB cannon. Hood's new pneumatic system was assembled and test fitted by the end of the build session.
    Ian's supposed to bring Hood back this week to install the cannons and smaller props to get her down to 28 sec. Treaty speed. She was running with 35mm 4-blade props for the 24 sec. IRCWCC speed. Ian will try 30 mm 4-blades but might have to order a set of 3:1 Master Airscrew reduction gears to switch for the present 2.5:1.
    I hope we can have the Hood battle ready by early August. Ian may need some help with fine tuning from other NATCF members - I'm only around for a week and a half before going on vacation. Volunteers?
    Bob

2. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Ooooo! Could we see two Hoods on the water a the same time?

3. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

That would certainly be interesting. Mikey's Hood did really well in the spring battle this year.

4. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

Bob does hood get a larger rudder than the scale rudder that she has now? she would benifit greatly from a larger rudder if she is allowed one under treaty rules.

5. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I believe the Treaty rudder rules are the same as MWC/IRC rules.

6. Chris Easterbrook

The rudder hood has now is smaller than is allowed under IRC/MWC so she could have a larger rudder for sure. I have seen her on the water this year and she would turn much better with more rudder area.Thanks for the clarification Mike.

7. crzyhawk

Hood gets an IRC sized rudder. I believe in the MWC, Hood is still a 5.5 unit ship. In the IRCWCC and Treaty, she is a 6.0 unit ship and gets a class 6 rudder with +50% due to being over 800 ft.

8. Bob Pottle

Hood still has the rudder I made before the 50% increase was voted in by the IRCWCC. I've talked to Ian about enlarging it but it can't be enlarged 50% without hanging well below the keel.
    Ian's priority now is getting Hood armed and down to Treaty speed. The next step will be to enlarge the rudder. I've suggested stripping it down to the brass sheet I soldered around a smaller nylon rudder, then 'sweating' a larger brass sheet rudder to it.
    I've put Ian to work making the BB cannon supports that'll go inside the barbettes. When those are ready we'll install the guns and turrets. Pump output also has to be reduced to Treaty specs.
    Bob

9. crzyhawk

I think Mikey is presently using a smaller rudder then allowed too. I don know it's an awfully long rudder (although a deeper one would have a more profound impact on turning). Perhaps if you or Ian shoots him an email, he could give you the dimensions and perhaps some photos of how his is laid out.

10. Bob Pottle

The rudder I made doesn't protrude below the keel and is already quite long. I think it could be enlarged 25% without going below keel level but there will be a lot of rudder area aft of the shaft. That could cause servo problems.
    I think Ian will have to go for the full 50% enlargement to keep the rudder reasonably balanced, and will have to stay clear of the shallows or underwater obstacles. I tried a high aspect ratio rudder of the original max. allowed size several years ago. It was over 3" deep and more effective than the standard shape, but was nearly torn off approaching shore at the end of the test run.
    Bob

11. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

I have been too busy for the last several days to get on here and post much. This is a busy time of year for us with camps, and such.
    Anyhow, I will try to post something on the Hood rudder size. I think it is around 5 sq inches. I also do not like for my rudder to stick down below my keel, so it is long, but not deep. I tinkered around with the sizes, and decided on 5 inches as it still looked pretty nice, as I also try to avoid increasing the size to the point ot looking gawdy.
    But I am happy with the turning of my Hood, and I have not had any trouble with a standard servo.
    Mikey

12. Chris Easterbrook

I think Hood would benifit from a large rudder as large as possible. you could always have a rudder that is removable so it does not get damaged in transport or storage. Steve Hills vanguard has the largest rudder I have seen on a ship and is removeable, its huge! I would think a ships prformance is more important than how the rudder looks.

13. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

That is what makes what we do so interesting. Everyone is looking for a balance. But each individual captain has a different idea of how to balance the looks/performance of their own ship.
    I generally try to lean more towards the scale looks, and in some cases the performance is not all that it could be. case in point is my new Hood. I have a rudder that is probably an inch smaller than it is allowed to be, but I am happy with her turning ability. She is also built with the superstructure that she carried in 1941 for the Denmark Straits battle, and is slower than she could be if I had built her with her original superstructure.
    Mikey

14. Bob Pottle

I hoped to meet with Ian again this week to install Hood's BB cannons but haven't heard from him and am going on vacation tomorrow. Can anyone else in the club give him a hand while I'm away? Other than getting the speed and pump output set to WTC specs Hood only needs a few hours work on gun installation to be battle ready. We can install a larger rudder later.
    Bob

15. Bob Pottle

Didi Ian contact anyone for help installing Hood's BB cannons while I was away? We got our computer back today and there have been no emails from him about continuing the rearmament.
    Bob