HMS Invincible

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by marsman1993, May 8, 2011.

1. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

That page is still in the draft mode and not published, so do email Stephen and he'll get back to you.
    We're trying to take it a little bit easier during the holidays and get a little bit of a break from the business, but he'll still probably answer an email fairly quickly. We're not out of town or anything, just trying to remember a little bit of life outside of Strike.

2. marsman1993

marsman1993 Member

First off Happy new year!!! Second, I was wondering, how come when I lay the ship plans on the ship(so I can double check to make sure the turrets are in the right spot) the plans are longer then the ship itself? There seems to be an inch at both the bow and stern the hangs off when I lay the plans flat on the deck. If needed I can add a few pictures to help show what I'm talking about. When I put the superstructure on originally, I would measure where the part was on the plans, then measure and mark where it went on the model. Is that how your supposed to do it? If not, what's the right way of finding where the superstructure goes on the model?

3. smorgret

smorgret Vendor

Happy New Year!

I think there might be two different things adding up to make the plans larger. The first one is that the Invincible is not longest at deck level; it is longest below the water line due to the ram bow. The Invincible, South Carolina, Warrior, and Gorgon class ships all have this prominent feature which was common in WWI ships. In the plans you have, the top view of the ship makes it difficult to discern what is deck and what is ram bow. This alone is 1.375 inches. The second thing that could have made the plans longer than the boat was that the plans might have actually been a little long. When I first got the printer I ran some test calibrations on it and found that I needed to stretch the plans by 0.74% to bring them up to correct length. After moving the printer to my new shop, I didn't recalibrate it for a while and later found that it had improved it's calibration to within about 0.1% so I stopped making the plans longer. On a ship the size of the Invincible, the 0.1% means the printed plans are off by a little over a millimeter. I do not remember when I stopped making the calibration adjustment, but it would have been in the first half of 2011.

Please check the ship against the plans and include the bulbous bow. If you set the ship directly on the plans and use square blocks, you should be able to find out if the plans are still long. If so, please let me know and I would be happy to send out another set.

The best place to measure from for placing the superstructure is to start from the back edge of the step deck and measure forward. This should get you quite close and is an easy measurement.

Stephen Morgret
    Strike Models

4. marsman1993

marsman1993 Member

I just layed the model on the ship plans and placed the stern of the model right over the stern on the plans. Then I measured from the ram bow on the model to the ram bow on the plans. It seems the plans are just about 3 mm longer then the ship. It's no big deal because I could just take 3 mm into account when placing superstructure. And if I'm off, it won't be by much. This is my first ship after all:cool:.