HMS Invincible

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by marsman1993, May 8, 2011.

1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Looks great. I was wondering about the magnets. Will they hold the deck when it sinks in deep water?

2. marsman1993

marsman1993 Member

I'm almost positive they should. They hold so well, that I'm thinking about making some pull tabs or something like that in order to get the decks off. It's pretty neat because when I go to slide the deck on, the magnets pull the deck in place nice and tight and WONT let go.

3. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

Looking good! When do you get to put her in the water?

4. marsman1993

marsman1993 Member

Thanks!! She's been on the water twice already, and she seems to be running pretty well! I'm planning on taking it out again this Saturday and try out my new speed controller. I'm planning on getting the materials needed to make the water channeling tomorrow, and I might also order a pump and a battery for it here in the next few days also. Speaking of which, I'm planning on getting a Stinger pump, but was wondering what with that kind of current draw, what kind of battery should I use for the pump? I was wanting to use another 6v 10amp NIMH because that's what I use for my motors, and a second one would fit right beside the first one. But with it being a six volt, would I be getting the added pumping power of the Stinger? What would you guys recommend?

5. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

A stinger draws around 20 amps at 6 volts.
    You should put the two 10 amp batteries in parallel. It's a much better system to have both batteries to draw power from then just one. What if you are running a lot but not pumping. The drive battery will drain down, you'll slow down, then the pump battery will need to work very hard after you get trashed.
    Two 10a 6v batteries are the right size for this type of ship.

6. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Wooo! Yes! Now that is how a ship should look. Masts and rigging are easy to do, and they add so much to a ship's appearance. Very nice.

7. marsman1993

marsman1993 Member

ThAnK yOu!!! It was pretty cool adding the rigging because as you said it's easy to do and it makes the ship look awesome once it's out on the water. I'm also going to be adding a white stripe on the smoke stacks to brake it up a bit. I'm a little disappointed in how I painted it though. I made the mistake of painting each part as I glued it in place instead of painting it all at once when when my superdooperstructure was all in place. So what happened was there were times when I did not mix the paint very well, and now it looks discolored in some places. But you can't tell until you look really close. I might just paint it over again once I glue the skin on.

8. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

The smoke stacks had metal bands on them. Just take a 1/4" wide ruber band and trim it to fit around the stack and glue in place. Makes it look like the metal band without hardly any work.

9. marsman1993

marsman1993 Member

Oh, that would make things easier. Then all I have to do is paint the rubber band. Where can I get those little British flags? I was wanting to decorate my ship a little by adding a few flags.

10. Renodemona

With a stinger, you'll want both 10ah batteries in parallel. Or a 20Ah block. You might be able to get away with 2 7Ah batteries. The "standard" size is a 12Ah, but that's probably a little low in the juice department for a stinger.

11. Renodemona

I believe there is an Invincible detailed in the build/article section of the Port Polar Bear website. There are also several other ships with their insides photographed that should help you out building the internals.

12. marsman1993

marsman1993 Member

I'm thinking I might go with two of these http://www.batteryspace.com/customnimhbattery60v10ah5xdprewiredw612awgwirescu-mm113pid4943.aspx. Do 6 volts give the pump enough power? Or should I go with a higher voltage? Oh, and they do have a 6 volt 13 amp NIMH battery, but it cost like 90 buck just for one!!! Sigh...does anyone know the winning lottery numbers:cool:?

13. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

A couple of these would work nicely. 10Ah, 3.2v per cell, can handle 50 amp draw without even getting warm ... two cells total weight is 1.5 pounds, gives 6.4volts.

currentevtech.com/Lithium-Batteries...4-p40.html
    Total cost for a 2 cell pack? $36.00 plus shipping

14. Hovey

Hovey Admiral (Supporter)

you could also fit two of these:

http://www.batteryspace.com/LiFePO4-Prismatic-Module-3.2V-20-Ah-10C-Rate-64-wh-CE-Listed.aspx

I plan to run four of them in my Bayern for 40 ah at 6.4v

15. marsman1993

marsman1993 Member

Soooooooo...the 10Ah 3.2 batteries are cheaper, but at the cost of run time? I'd run those in series to get 10Ah 6.4 volts? Whereas the 3.2 volt 20Ah batteries are more expensive for double the run time, and I'd also run them in series to get 6.4 volts and 20Ah? Is that how it works? What kind of runtime should I expect from either of these batteries? It's hard for me to pick and choose which battery to go to without having experience running a pump effectively. I'd like to go with the 2 cells for 36 bucks,but with pulling around 25 amps, and the batteries being 10Ah, I'm quessing the runtime would be very short.

16. Renodemona

K.I.S.S. Go with a 6v12Ah SLA. You can always go for more battery later. Many, many, many I-boats have run them before, many will run them in the future. You can get 2 (1 for each battle) for less than the equivalent NiMHs. First boat, first build = simple is good.

17. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I run the Headway 10ah in my PDN. The PDN has a Stinger pump that pulls around 18 - 20 amps. The 10ah battery will power the ship for two and a half sorties.

How much run time are you looking for?

18. Hovey

Hovey Admiral (Supporter)

I agree with keeping it simple, but NiMh and LiFe batteries aren't that complex to maintain. I would not recommend other types of lithium to a rookie captain though. IF you are comfortable with the technology and the price then they do offer some advantages over SLA, mainly increased capacity for similar or reduced weight.

My Invincible runs on a single 12Ah 6V SLA battery and she slows down significantly by the end of the second sortie. Yes her batteries are getting a little bit old now but they still showed that behavior when new as well. Since the hull can't fit a second 12Ah battery inside, IF you can afford it I would recommend going with a higher performance battery from the start for this boat. If she were a little bigger I would recommend just using two 12Ah SLA batteries.

19. marsman1993

marsman1993 Member

Well for the price, I'm thinking the Headway batteries would be the way to go. They don't cost much more then an SLA, and the performance would be much better. For those, I'm guessing I would have to get two cells and make my own battery pack? How do you go about making a battery pack? BTW I appreciate the help!!!

20. marsman1993

marsman1993 Member

UUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I can't stop flip flopping!!! I think I'll just get one 10Ah 6volt NIMH and a regular pump motor. I can just upgrade later on, and going this route I will be able to mess around with it and figure out what I want to do once I get a bit more experience.