HMS Malaya

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Tugboat, Jun 21, 2013.

1. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

Oooh, I like that! We'll have to try something similar too.

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I like it, but I'm not sure what it's got to do with Malaya ;)

3. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

It's supposed to get this build back on the top where it belongs. ;) How is Malaya coming along?

4. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

The Malaya better be ready to receive the Mutt's rath this weekend....:pinch:

5. Tugboat

Did some minor work arranging stuff tonight. Also, added drag props. I heard that some mangy mutt will be sniffing around looking to get shot at ;) Unless of course, we do flag/no-flag, and I wind up on the Mutt's team. Then, we shall clear the sea of the enemy!

6. Tugboat

Got the stern guns wired and tested the circuit. It was raining hard earlier, so I didn't go outside and test the guns. But I have the mixes set and all circuits tested! Assuming that the guns work like they did in testing, I've got a ship that'll be ready tomorrow night! I need to add the waterline tape, but that's not that hard :)

The weather peeps say that tomorrow and the weekend will be dry and in the 80's! Bring sunscreen!

7. Tugboat

Argh!! The brushed motors were WAAAYYY too slow. I guess it looked faster on the pool. We swapped in a pair of titans with tiny gears to test, but Malaya was so fast then as to be uncontrollable. Yes, faster that that Lutzow that I did years ago that was banking 90 degrees in the turns. REALLY FAST. So, I ran Lil Scharnie this battle (hooray Lil Scharnie!) and will be putting in Malaya's brushless motors this week.

8. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Heh. The first time Clark put power to the Titan motored Malaya, there was a collective "WOAH!" from the pondside people watching the test. The ship seemed to almost plane from a dead stop. :)

9. jstod

jstod Well-Known Member

That would of been a cool thing to see

10. Tugboat

It was insane. funny but insane.

11. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

And what part of this hobby isn't?

12. Tugboat

Got in the shop last weekend. Not much energy, but I got the brushless drive put in and tested. Running a pair of 2250kV motors that I had, with 48P gears on the 5mm shafts driving regular 48P big gears on the propshafts. Got to print an impeller for a 5mm shaft. That needs to go in before Sunday when I plan to take Malaya to the lake for speed testing. I also applied some marine grease to the gears, and made sure that the lash was set a tad looser than I usually do (normally have gear lash set with a piece of paper), and the gear drive sounds awesome. Not cranky, not grindy, but smooth.

13. bugler

bugler Member

Looks really good. Enjoyed the Thread.

Reading the section about the rules and the distance between the stringers, etc... My thoughts as a complete novice reading all that is... who cares really? I know there are rules... but looking at the ship there are plenty of places an enemy can potentially punch a hole. If everyone knows there is an armoured belt... or whatever... then just shoot lower... or higher...etc. Maybe if you were fighting for some trophy wife... like say an Anna Nichole look alike.... well honestly I would try to figure out how to make my ship's guns into flame throwers.... (oops!) I mean I would be a true gentleman and play by the rules etc...etc....(ahem!) Also... win or lose... a nice looking QE like the ones being built by these two... I am sure the hot supermodel prize would simply jump in one of their cars after seeing the fine boats they've made....Even if the Axis sunk them both with one salvo....

As far as the battling goes.. It seems to me that there is tremendous fun to be had building a ship, and win or lose duking it out on the water... Looks like a lot of fun... and the beer and hotdogs, boat chatter would be awesome. So from Canada... Have Fun Eh?

14. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

it is poor form to trivialize... but its easier said than done 'just shoot lower.. or higher'. Recall that we don't look down the barrels of our guns to aim. We're commanding from a 3rd person point of view, a weapons platform that is moving and bobbing, against a target doing the same thing, from a distance.

15. Tugboat

There have been enough people whinging about how close the stringers are that Malaya has been shelved. Might put her on top of the next burn pile. I'm ******* tired. The stringers are centered on the edges of the armor belts, where the rules say to put them. But apparently there's an unwritten rule that I must move the stringers from where the rules say they go so that a BB can pass between them.

16. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I thought you had cut a gap wide enough for a bb between them earlier in the thread?

17. Tugboat

In a few places, it's tight, but you can push a BB in. but I got some feedback from people that stated that the gap wasn't wide enough. I can guarantee that the stringers are no wider than 1/8" and in most places are a hair thinner, as the tape I was using was 3mm, not 3.17mm. But it's not worth the stress. I'd rather drive a convoy than have someone ranting about how they think my ship should be built.

18. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

No stress, no worries Clark. The fine Southern Gentlemen of Region III Mwc (and by adoption the IRC people unfortunate enough to live in Yankee land to the North of us) are 99% more interested in comradeship and shooting at boats than at breaking out micrometers. Don't fret about the 1%, it's never worth the angst. I, for one, am eager to see your Malaya (with it's 3d printed SS) on the water, even if you forgot to cut windows out entirely!

19. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Sorry to hear that Clark, mine will be on the water next year. Long live frankenship!

20. Tugboat

Thanks guys, no one in Region 3 gave me grief. Brian K will probably browbeat me into finishing it. If only so he gets HIS 3D printed SS... of which there are shortly to be some pictures of new pieces... the hangar is a beast!