HMS Nonsuch D107 / Z38

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Battle Squadron' started by sinkin321, Oct 26, 2009.

1. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Over the winter I will try and build the Z38 kit that I traded for last year. The ship was taken over buy the British in 1941 and renamed HMS Nonsuch. So depending on how i want to build it, it could fight, Axis or Allied, right? not sure on this so if you can let me know the rules, it would be great . Anyone know who has light weight regs for capsules.?

2. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

She wasn't taken over by the British until the end of the war. She wasn't even comissioned into the German navy until 1943, so I think your 1941 number must be wrong. I don't think she'd be legal as an Allied ship (this would also allow other ships such as USS Prinz Eugen and USS Nagato) since she was taken over AFTER the war and not during it.

3. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Ok that answers that Axis she is. With that out of the way i still need to know about the capsule regulators. Anyone know where to get them.
    These little bitty boats are a bugger to work on. I thought Mogador was tiny but this is silly. Hull was cut last night shafts will be installed as well as rudders this week. Deck are ready/ SS is there and is bare bones. I will be making a light weight gun for her and a half unit pump that should be it.

4. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Haha.
    I know where you are coming from on the Mogador, and the smaller destroyers, being a challenging build. After a Mogador, I decided to build one of the LeTerribles, and even though it is only a little smaller, and lighter, it seemed like a lot more thought, and work was put into it.
    I have always liked the German destroyers. Lots of history, and very cool.
    Mikey

5. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

I have been hearing a lot of great things about the new light regulators from Strikemodels.
    I would think that they will have one that accepts the capsules, but am not sure.
    Mikey

6. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

If Strike doesn't have regs that directly mate to capsules adapters are available, but in a DD any extra weight is a bad idea. You might have to use a Palmer 'Rock the Boat' reg though I've had two fail after limited use.
    The Z Class DD is the only one of my early hulls I didn't try to build as a combat model. At the time I didn't think I had the ability to build a model that light. Other people were more confident because Ralph and I sold about 18 hulls before I sold the hull mold to Battlers Connection. BC sells the hull with a lt. wt. superstructure so the project is a little less challenging.
    Bob

7. Bob Pottle

8. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Yes it is a challenge. I will be hollowing out the light wieght ss to save some more weight making the choice of batteries a bit easier. So far the rudders and shafts are in and the decks are made but will not be installed untill the ship has all internals in and set up. Bob if you can piont me in the direction of the rock the boat it would be great.

9. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

A little tidbit about palmer regulators: they must be oiled to keep operating correctly. Palmer recommends 2 - 3 drops of oil placed into the ASA bottle adaptor before screwing on the first bottle of the day. I have done this for years with three diffrent Palmer regulators, including a regulator I bought in 1995. I didn't have to rebuild the 1995 regulator until last year, 13 years later. Works great. :)

10. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

We will be carrying regulators that accept the capsules, but they aren't in stock just yet. In a week we'll have a better idea of when they will be available.

sinkin321, we're also soon by carrying some new types of batteries (lithium iron phosphate) that are lightweight and have some different form factors that may make things easier for you, too. I don't want to hijack the thread and make it a commercial, so if you have any questions send Stephen an email at stephen @ strikemodels.com.

11. Bob Pottle

Mike,
    Thanks for the tip about oiling Palmer regulators. I bought four around 1999 - 2003 but wasn't aware they needed regular maintenance. I don't recall getting instructions with them and can't find any in my R/C combat files.
    Bob Pottle

12. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Ok, light wieght shafts and the rudders are in. motor mounts will be built and fitted today as well as the armour

13. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

wow that is a small boat John. I hope you pull it off I would like to see more destoryers on the water.

14. crzyhawk

I agree, more destroyers would be nice. I have an intense desire to do an American 4 piper, but I think that's nearly impossible.

15. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Small but I like a challenge. I have the shafts made and in 1/8 shafts. everything is about the weight. The shafts are in with pc7 as well as the rudder posts. The leight ss is being hollowed out and the gun is being made of brass tube but anything that can be shaved is being cut. I have weight all material minus the batteries and it comes to 3.7lbs but doesn't include glue or paint so it will be tight. ant wieght loss sugestions ( boat only smart a$%#) would be great.

16. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

ask Bob Pottle about his lightweight cannons John.

17. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

18. crzyhawk

What are you running for batteries Evil? You might want to look at LiPo batteries. they're expensive, but have a lot of power available for a very small/light size.

19. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

power sonic 6 volt 2.9 ah 1.30 lb

20. smorgret

smorgret Vendor

I would be leery about running LiPo batteries in any of our boats. If they are shorted, it is bad. If they get punctured, it is bad... If you look at them funny, you can watch the pretty flames come out of the battery packs. While it does make for spectacular naval recreations, most people don't want to go that far. For getting the weight down, I would go with either LiFePO4 (LiFe) cells or NiMH. Either one is safe and significantly lighter than the SLA you have in there now.

Stephen Morgret
    Strike Models