HMS Queen Elizabeth superstructure 2019-02-23

complete SS for late war HMS Queen Elizabeth

1. bkoehler

bkoehler Active Member

bkoehler submitted a new resource:

HMS Queen Elizabeth superstructure - complete SS for late war HMS Queen Elizabeth

Read more about this resource...

Maxspin, Xanthar and absolutek like this.
  2. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

Well done! You guys did a great job of separating the parts and orienting them to get good prints with out supports.

3. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Do you have a picture of these parts assembled?

4. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These are spy photos I took of @bkoehler 's Queen Elizabeth. He has extra details added but you can see the 3d printed stuff assembled.

Xanthar, Caractacus Patt and Lou like this.
  5. bkoehler

bkoehler Active Member

Thanks for posting those. I was trying to see if I could post a single picture of my QE assembled in the Discussion comments of the resource itself, but it appeared I would have to link to an external photo (no option to upload photo into the discussion comment there that I could see). You got these posted before I could get back to the resource section to look again.

6. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

erhm, wheres this? We're in the discussion section right now? If you can snap a screenshot and send it to me of where you are looking at I can check in to it

7. bkoehler

bkoehler Active Member

Oh, sorry. I was thinking this was that thread I had started saying I would be adding this to resources. When I to add an image here, it only asks for URL (no upload option). I had been intending to find an image in the SAS photo albums and direct a link to it (but no real need now thanks to Will)

8. NickMyers

oh, thats weird. There's no 'Add Images' button down by 'Post Reply' and 'preview' for you?

9. bkoehler

bkoehler Active Member

Oh drat. OK. That's how it works!
    I noticed first the little photo icon in the toolbar above (as you type a post) and assumed that was the add photo button
    -- and that photo icon only allows for a url to a photo

The Add images button works fine. Thanks.
    Brian

10. NickMyers

Yeah, that icon has been the source of a lot of frustration. There is a decent subset of Xenforo forum owners and admins who don't feel it is very intuitive, but the developers disagreed.
    My 'solution' was the 'Add Images' button - it is actually 'Add Files', I just changed the text since people upload images more often than files - you can still upload files with it though despite the text. /confusing narrative...

11. Commodore

Commodore Well-Known Member

12. NickMyers

I modeled the QF 4.5" but didn't get around to the rest. Its a little different from Brians's model but I can push it to the Resources later if there's interest.
    https://rcwarshipcombat.com/threads/wip-4-5-qf-mkiii-bdii.444821/

13. bkoehler

bkoehler Active Member

I do, but I think Nick's have a little more detail than mine.

Nick: Could you push yours to resources?!

I have the 8-barrel pom-poms you probably saw in the photo of my QE that Will posted. I will push those to resources as well.

I did not do the main turrets as I have the cast Vanguard turrets I thought looked like a good substitute on QE.
    Brian

Panzer likes this.
  14. Commodore

Commodore Well-Known Member

Cool. Someday, I will get around to fixing up the ol' QE, and it would be nice to have the good stuff on board.

15. NickMyers

16. JRC123

JRC123 Member

Your photo of the hanger deck shows 3 parts that are not modeled. One is the stack addition. Did you incorporate it into the main stack or does a section need to be added? If so, how tall. Also what is the wedge shaped piece that is oval at the bottom (not modeled) and the oval piece with the tall round part which is modeled? I do not see them on the final photos. The pieces print wonderful.

Thank you, Johnny

17. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

Just out of dumb curiosity, how close is this to Warspite? can I print one via shapeways and then tweak it a bit with a bit of hand work?

18. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

The main structure and hanger is pretty much identical, so close nobody could tell, but the side pieces on the hanger are quite different. Warspite retains casemates and has dual 4.1" mounts to comprise her heavy AA battery so the arrangement of the cranes and decks for AA mounts is different. You could just cut those parts off, they are pretty small, and use the tower, hanger, and funnel though.

Anvil_x likes this.
  19. bkoehler

bkoehler Active Member

Hello Johnny,
    I ended up in a hurry and did not model the launching tracks (just used some N-scale plastic I beam laying sideways - looked decent enough)
    The stack addition was because, after I assembled mine, I realized the stack had been too short and just added the extra ring (I did not feel like re-printing entire thing at the time.. It's never come off or loose after all theses years of regular combat).

The wedge-shaped piece and part next to it are two options for stack-floats. Either one glues to the underside of the stack rim (I print it in black) That way when sunk it will float up as a marker (sits down inside stack - don't glue to top of the stack)
    -- glue fishing line to the float
    -- or put spool of fishing line on the rounded post-shaped one

I also forgot to got back and add the pompoms to the resources - guess I better do that!
    BrianK

20. JRC123

JRC123 Member

Thank you. The float idea is great and makes a lot of sense. Do you know how much extra height the stack needs? I can create it if you can tell me the height to add or the total height from the Hager deck 3. It looks awesome and has been fun printing. Did you find a printer file for the walrus plane? It is on I think shapeways but expensive for me for just 1 plane.