HMS Renown

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by slow_and_ugly, Nov 13, 2008.

1. slow_and_ugly

slow_and_ugly Active Member

Hi,
    I have decided to build the Renown this winter. (Even though it is neither slow nor ugly)

I wasn't really planning to build a ship this big and awkward but it's fast enough to stay out of trouble and will have a decent punch.

The first part of the build thread is posted on the NABS forum, but since this will be set to treaty rules I will continue the thread here.

I will start planning the internal layout tomorrow and hopefully will be marking and cutting it next week.

I hope to post pictures as work progresses.

2. the frog

the frog Member

Mikey deskin ran a renown this year and loved it he was never in danger of sinking and dished out much more than he took

3. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Rob,
    Any chance I can get a Renown hull from you? I was going to build the Furious as my fast BC but Renown is less than an inch longer, has twice the displacement, the same 31.5 knot speed, 0.5 more combat units, and 3 turrets vs 2, allowing 3 quadrants to be covered.

I think the Furious hull could be put to better use as a carrier with 5.0 units if there's a rule change to allow sidemounts in Class 4+ carriers. If that happens I'll modify the bulges to match those on the WWII carrier (same beam but greater volume).

Bob

4. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Mike Deskin's Renown did very well this year, I think you'd be surprised with it provided it was set up correctly.

5. slow_and_ugly

Sure Bob, but it will have to wait until the spring - I am out of resin and the cold weather has set in.

6. Bob Pottle

Any chance I could borrow your mold and pay a fee to lay-up my own hull? Kim will be away for a weekend soon so I'll be able to fiberglass in the basement instad of outside.

Bob

7. slow_and_ugly

Sure - you can just make a hull - but I cringe to let you see the hack job I did of the mold -- I did have some trouble with the gel-coat so there are voids to fill and stuff like that. After pulling the first hull out I also broke off some of the gel-coat on crease of the bulge -- just needs to be filled before laying in the FG.

8. Bob Pottle

Rob,
    I should wait unitl the mold is fixed before borrowing it. I'm afraid more gelcoat will break off along the bulge. Alternatively I have a lot of gelcoat in stock and could try to repair the mold for you.

Bob

9. slow_and_ugly

Hi Bob,
    I made temporary repairs to the mold over the weekend and got some more resin this morning. I will try to lay-in another hull this week.

10. Bob Pottle

Rob,
    Suggest you use a thicker layer of gelcoat this time - 2 applications 12-24 hours apart if you're using the thin OP gelcoat. I have lots of the thick OP paint-on gelcoat which is the opposite extreme - too thick! I can bring you some tonight or Wed. night. I mix it 50/50 with the thin stuff and get about the same consistency as Ashland gelcoat, which was fine when we could get it.

I'm using the thin Bondo fiberglass matt from Can-Tire which is easier to lay up. I paint on a thin coat of OP resin (which is OK), then apply three layers of matt, using a roller to spread the resin evenly and painting on more as required for saturation. On large hulls I add a 4th layer from the deck edge to 1.5" below the waterline.

Bob

11. slow_and_ugly

Hi Bob,
    Thanks for the advice. I will by a roller before I lay down any FG. I have the thicker gel-coat and it seems to be setting even with the colder temperatures.

I am also using a different brush which seems to make a big difference. I was applying my gel-coat with a small disposable disposable, but they just work well for this. I am also using a darker colour which shows up missed area much better than grey-on-grey.

As for the FG -- I have been laying down separate layers and letting them set before adding the next layer. The rough surface of the first layer keeps the FG of the next layer from laying flat - trapping air. I will definitely try to lay them down as you suggest.

12. Bob Pottle

Right, standard practise is to apply all layers of fiberglass matt at once. This eliminates the problems you encountered with applying successive layers after each cured and reduces the amount of resin used + the hull weight. I use the cheap disposable brushes from Can. Tire - usually 1" for small hulls and tight spots and 2" for large hulls.

Bob

13. slow_and_ugly

Hi Bob,
    So far - so good. I have the gelcoat in. The tight area near the bow was glassed before I joined the halves of the mold. Right now I am waiting for an the right time to glass the rest of the hull.

With the cold weather the fumes go right through the house and cause some er....controversy. I think I'll have the opportunity late next week.

One more question - what is the best way to handle the stringer along the top of the bulge? It makes a sharp crease which is a bit hard to layup with a single piece of glass. I have been putting multiple layers of FG to build up the bottom edge so it meets the top. When the FG is even with the top I then continue glassing to the top of the hull. It seems to work, but takes many many layers of FG.
    Should I just build up the area with gel-coat to make smooth it out. This should work, but will the thick gel-coat make the stringer weak?

14. Bob Pottle

Hi Rob,
    Good idea about glassing the narrow bow before bolting the mold halves together. What I also do is add a slurry of chopped matt and resin to the ram area after glassing the rest of the hull. I leave the hull bow down until it hardens.

Bob

15. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

I love the Renown, as others have said, Mikey did quite well with the Renown this year. It was really nice to see one on the water.
    Thanks,

16. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

Is anyone planning to build one Rob?

17. slow_and_ugly

I am planning to build one. I've got the first hull from the mold and although it's not the greatest quality it is usable. The next hull should be better - as I learn to work with FG.

Under treaty rules it will be faster than most BB's so I can run away. Cruisers and Iowa can catch it, but Iowa is also allied and cruisers can be out-gunned. I think a Kongo would be as fast, but there are none on the water here.

Also - under treaty rules I can mount 4 guns (although it keeps a class 4 rudder).

Big roomy hull, relatively simple setup. Why not go for it?

18. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

I hope it works out for you Rob.

19. Bob Pottle

Chris,
    I plan to build a Renown too. I was going to build my Furious hull as a BC but Renown is 3/4" longer, has twice the displacement, 3 twin turrets versus 2 singles, and another 0.5 units. With the ability to cover 3 quadrants vs only 2 it makes more sense to build Renown.

The Furious hull will be converted to the 5.0 unit WWII carrier. With a possible Treaty rule change to allow bow and stern arcs on carriers to be 90 degrees instead of 30 Furious could have a 4-cornered gun arrangement with all BB cannons trained out to 45 degrees.

Bob

20. slow_and_ugly

Bob,
    I finished laying up your hull -- unfortunately there are major voids running along the top edge of the bulge. I will try to address these this week before pulling it from the mold.

Other than that (!) the hull is better than the one I made previously, but still a long way from real good quality.