HMS Roberts

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by sinkin321, Oct 2, 2008.

1. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

I will be picking up the Roberts from Bob this weekend and the build will start ASAP as this is a ship I have built before and know it well. I will be gathering stuff for the ship today and making the shafts and rudders, structure and detail even before I have the boat, should be a quick build and I hope to do trials by the battle on the 19th. I have a new camera now and can put some pics of this build up.
    I'm looking forward to this ship, as it is small easy to run and turns like no other ship does, just need to figure speed and units and I'll be all set.

2. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

John,
    I have the Abercrombie/Roberts hull, 12-sided barbette, turret and plans for both ships at my office. You can pick them up this afternoon.

Abercrombie had a round barbette. If you decide to build her instead of Roberts buy an ABS 2" pipe coupling from Can. Tire and cut to height. The outside diameter is within 1 mm of the scale diameter of the barbette.

Will have the Suffolk/Cumberland plans for Mack this afternoon if I can get away from the hospital at noon and have them enlarged.

Bob

3. Bob Pottle

John,
    We had several new admissions today and were at only 50% staff level so I couldn't get out to copy the plans. Got your message about 4 hours after you left it. I brought the monitor hull and plans for Roberts, Abercrombie and Suffolk home so you can pick them up this weekend. Call me Saturday PM after 1530h - I should be home from the MC run by then.

Bob

4. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

OK Bob: I am building as Roberts.

5. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

OK: I picked up the hull on Sat. the 4th and so far the progest has been slow.
    Hull is cut out - rudders are in - water channel is in - shafts are in - deck is cut and ready but won't go on til the armour is in - ss is almost complete and ready for putty and paint - all radio gear is dipped and ready - balsa will be doped tonight and the sheeting will start on Wed when the deck is screwed in place and filled. Trials will be this weekend and ship will be battle ready for the 19th. The wainbee order will get here on Fri and gun will be tested but it is a new BC and should be fine. I have picked up a new camera and will try and put up pics of the build.

6. Bob Pottle

john,
    Slow progress? You've only had the HMS Roberts hull for 3 days!!

Re the Sri Ayuthia hull the mold is waxed and ready for your hull to be laid up. Can you let me know if you plan to arm it, use it as a towed target (disabled and under tow to Japan for repairs) as we discussed, or convert it to a generic cargo ship? If it isn't going to be armed I don't have to worry as much about the hull's weight and can make it thicker so BB hits won't break the ribs.

Bob

7. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

i want your kinda slow

8. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Bob: The hull will not be armed so go ahead.
    Slow yes, I can usually be a bit quicker.
    The Roberts is now ready for paint and is water tight. Just have to atach the ss and install the rest of the gear for trails. I am going to atempt some pics but a'm a bit slow at this as I'm still on dial up til Dec.

9. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

You mean John that you will finally get some high speed in December? It will be nice to see some pics.

10. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

roberts starts:[​IMG]

11. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

hull cut, armour in, deck on[​IMG]

12. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

sheeted[​IMG]

13. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

sort of figured the camera out 35seconds to up load at office 35min. at home

14. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

ss started[​IMG]

15. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

these were taken on tue and there has been some progress since then. I will post some more and better pics of the trials this weekend, now that i know the camea better.

16. Bob Pottle

HMS Roberts is looking good John! You build fast. Your SA hull is done - if you can build an armed model that quickly you can finish an unarmed one in a day or two.

Bob

17. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Bob: This one went faster than normal only because it is the second one of these i have built. and when i can spend 6 hrs per day on them things go quite fast.

18. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Looks good John, wish I could do as well.
    J

19. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Ship is done and tested. It is fast but not to fast, I can slow it down by resisters. Ship sits well in the water and looks good from the road. All that is needed now is detail and this will be done over the winter.
    Pics will come soon.

20. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member