HMS Roberts

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by sinkin321, Oct 2, 2008.

1. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Basics are done and tested, details to do, but she has teeth

2. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

3. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

4. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Well there you have it Roberts will see battle on the 19th. Pics will follow of the details when see comes up from the bottom and is dried out.

5. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

The Roberts is looking good John, but I think the bridge and funnel are taller than the plan. The interior layout is very neatly done. It'll be great to see the little beastie in action!

Maybe I'll use HMS Gorgon on the 19th so we can have a monitor squadron. They both have approx. 4' turning circles. I can see Roberts leading with its bow cannon and Gorgon following close astern with its stern gun.

Can you post directions to Uniacke House?

Bob

6. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Good eyes Bob. The funnel is taller that plans but is only there for the battle. The real ss will be made during the winter and is still on the bench.

7. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

looks good, but that hull shape is insane. Good job.

8. Bob Pottle

Boomer,
    That's the actual hull shape of WWII 15" gunned monitors HMS Abercrombie and Roberts. They were an improvement on WWI monitors Terror and Erebus (which also fought in WWII). The WWI monitors had different bulges that went straight into the hull side a bit above the waterline.

In the WWII monitors the hull sides sloped up from the outer edges of the bulges almost to the deck at 35 degrees (effectively doubling the armor thickness as in the T34 tank), and carried 5" armour plate, heavier than most if not all WWII heavy cruiser armor.

Bob

9. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

And when Bob says it's tricky to lay up, believe him!

They are very cool little ships, and John, you've done nice work on that one :)

10. Bob Pottle

Tugboat,
    When I laid up Abercrombie/Roberts hulls I started the two halves separately, gelcoating almost to the midline of each, then glassing the sides, bulges, and part of the bottom.

Each mold half will sit on its bulge with the deck edge down. This helps keep the glass laying flat over the narrow strip of vertical side just below deck level until it sets. I figured that method out after struggling with the first hull.

Bob

11. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I can't wait to see this little thing out on the water.

12. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Roberts had its real test today and worked great. speed needs to be slower as it was about 26 seconds or more but it ran for two battles and never missed a beat. Now i will detail it and pick up the adaptor for the guns.

13. ChuckR

ChuckR Active Member

That is an awsome ship John. Joy loved it too and said she wouldn't mind having one.

14. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

15. Bob Pottle

Chuck,
    If Joy wants a Roberts/Abercrombie I've sold the mold to Tugboat. He can probably make a hull for her. I should have a new British 15" turret mold soon to replace the worn-out one, and have a couple of spare 12-sided barbettes in my basement.

Bob

16. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

It sinks very nicely. Goos pics, good ship