HMS Roberts

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Battle Squadron' started by Jonhanze01, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Jonhanze01

Jonhanze01 Member

I'm getting the hull/decks and plans for the HMS Roberts in august instead of september. Already have the rudder gear system designed. Is anyone from NABS still battling? If so let me know the date, i would love to see it again while i am building my boat. I plan to be on the water again by june. My little one gun wonder will be looking for a few axis ships to sink. Sorry it took so long to get back but i had serious health issues i had to take care of. Hope to hear from you all soon.

2. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Hi Jamie,
    Good to hear from you! I can help you build the Roberts, having started one and got it to deck, rudders and props installed stage before selling it to John C. Strike doesn't seem to be offering the hexagonal barbette for Roberts (I sold them the mould) but you could build Abercrombie instead - it has the usual round barbette. I can help with plans for Abercrombie and might still have the mould for the fiberglass deck, but will be unavailable for the next two weeks.
    A couple of guys went to NATS in the US last year but I'm not aware of any local battles since 2008. There have been some test runs recently. I don't know who's left in the area with completed models other than Jason, Paul, Steve and me. John C. has started building a new ship or ships.
    I still have HMS Gorgon and Minotaur but all of my gel cell batteries are more than 6 years old and need replacing, as do my radio and receiver batteries. I bought Hood back from Ian two years ago after helping him install a new pneumatic system. (She was disarmed before I sold her to Chris in Saint John many years ago.) I've yet to re-install the original BB cannons, which I hadn't sold, or the aft turret rotating system. Parts of the superstructure were damaged or lost since I sold her so cosmetic work is required too. If I build another r/c combat in the next year it will be Rodney. All parts are on hand.
    My job doesn't give me enough holiday time to both travel to NATS and vacation with family. I plan to retire in 4 years and will have lots of time for hobbies.
    Bob

3. Jonhanze01

Jonhanze01 Member

Good to hear from you too Bob. I'd be more than happy to get help with the Roberts. I have the plans being ordered Aug. 2. I'm just waiting to hear back from George. As for the Barbette i dont mind trying to build a mould for it. I used to make fibreglass armor and shields for a larp awhile back, so this would be just one more thing to learn. I'll let you know when the plans and hull arrive.
    Get your batteries replaced and perhaps when were done we can battle. Got a newcomer all ready to get his first boat. Sorry to hear Nabs closed down but i'm not letting that stop me from sailing. Or battling. It would be nice though if the old crew got together again.
    We'll keep in touch.

4. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Well Jamie I am still here. I have 2 boats ready to go. I haven't sailed much this year as it has either been work or out camping. I am trying to get a few evening sails in.

5. Jonhanze01

Jonhanze01 Member

Hi bb26, not sure of your name but i'm glad to hear your battle ready. Read some of the reports and yes allied captains can read...be more than happy to take the Roberts one on one with your either of your ships. I've sourced out all my materials and i'm waiting on a reply from strike models about the shipping costs for the hull. Hope to see you on the ocean in combat.

6. Jonhanze01

Jonhanze01 Member

OH just in case, I thought I should mention I will be building the HMS Roberts to IRCWCC specs. If we are doing differently please let me know before sept.

7. Jonhanze01

Jonhanze01 Member

Hey Bob I have great news, it's going to be the HMS Roberts, not the Abercrombie, Strike models is looking into the price of the Hexagonal barbette and turrette for me. They also have a partial superstructure so I am getting a price on everything. That should make things go alot easier. I'll let you know what they say and when everything arrives.

8. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Everything I have gotten from Strike Models has been top notch. I am interested to see the HMS roberts on the water. -- Paul

9. Jonhanze01

Jonhanze01 Member

Hi Paul long time no see. Yeah i'm excited to get it on the water as well. I'm building the Roberts and the V.U as a target ship for now. I'll be helping a friend build his first one once he decides on what one he wants then were going to be battling and using the VU for target practice. During the winter i'll be looking into a refill station so i can start next year or the year after on the North Carolina. The plans are being paid for tomorrow and i'm waiting on a price from Strike Models but i'm sure everything will turn out great. Hope you'll join us in the fun once the fighting starts.

10. Jonhanze01

Jonhanze01 Member

Recieved word from George that the plans for the HMS Roberts and the Veribus Unitus are on the way. I'll let you all know how they turn out.

11. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Just so you are aware, the different views on the VU plans have different dimensions. One of the OAF members had his VU plans and said they didn't line up right. Measure everything, and compare it against other parts of the plan.

12. Jonhanze01

Jonhanze01 Member

Thx for the heads up, i'll do that.

13. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Hi Jamie,
    Got your message on the answering machine and returned the call a couple of weeks back. I'm available to help with Roberts pretty much any evening now that the exam I was studying for all summer is done.
    Bob

14. Jonhanze01

Jonhanze01 Member

Thx Bob I appreciate that. Sorry it took so long to get back to you but I had to replace my computer, it took abit. I recieved the plans I had ordered, both the roberts and the VU but I still have not recieved any word from strike models about the quote i was promised. Kinda dissappointed in that but hopefull I hear something soon. I'm itching to get started.

15. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

You might have to ask again, Stephen does forget sometimes.

16. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Jamie I follow up with Stephen if I don't hear back from him in a reasonably amount of time. My computer is in the shop for repairs or replacement(hoping for a new replacement computer instead) Send him an email and inquire on the status of your order.

I am still awaiting status of my Montana superstructure and plans. I know he was away for a while so I expected a delay in the status of my order.

17. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

Hi Jamie, I'll also say something to Stephen and ask him to follow up (I'm his wife). Sorry about the delay!

18. smorgret

smorgret Vendor

Hello Jamie,

I'm really sorry about this. This means I sent the information to the wrong person (who picked up a Roberts hull at about the same time and whose name also started with a J). I'll email you details.

Stephen

19. sinkin321

sinkin321 Member

Hi guys: Still in the hunt and still planning to have a ship battle ready by spring, life and work keep getting in the way though, just getting back from a month in the US and get this, my hotel room over looked the New Jersey and Olympic, in Pennsulvania and got to spend time on both.
    Stephen - any word on the structures for bizmark, would like to get one for the little tub.
    still planning to use Mississippi for this year and she will be ready.
    I am off again for the US for a bit but will still check in from time to time when home.

20. smorgret

smorgret Vendor

Hello John,

I'm cranking out templates for the superstructure now that I have both a running laser cutter and got in the 4 units of plywood. I can have the Bismarck superstructure ready in a little over a week, as I am waiting for a load of PETG for the decks. PETG is a lot tougher than the styrene that both I and Swampy used to use (and I still have too much of). It's weird actually having most of my equipment running.

Stephen