HMS Sheffield Plans

Discussion in 'Ship Plans' started by Bob Pottle, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Does anyone have good plans for HMS Sheffield or other ships in the Town Class?

Those ships and the similar sized Swedish Tre Kronor have potential as CLs with quad 0.5 unit stern guns. Ralph Coles and I are considering building hull molds for them and can adapt the Sheffield hull lines for Tre Kronor, which is about the same size.

2. Boatmeister

Boatmeister Active Member

Don't know if you're interested but there is a Anatomy of the Ship: Belfast out there. Good size and great gun placements. The only other source I know of is either the old Ensign series or the Jass plans he put out a while back. I'd use the cross sections from the Belfast book and go from there.

3. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

I'm ordering 'Anatomy of he Ship: HMS Belfast' from Amazon.ca tonight. It's hull was a lengthened and slightly wider version of the Southampton/Sheffield, and the latter was very close in size to the Tre Kronor. I'll have to reduce the Belfast pre-rebuild cross-sections' beam by 13% to use them for the TK, and possibly adjust their depth.

Ralph Coles found and emailed to me detailed side and top view drawings of Tre Kronor (with the late 1940s bridge). There are no cross-sections but several hull outlines are shown for deck levels from weather deck to keel.

With those sources I can generate cross-sections for the TK Class which should be a reasonable approximation. I plan to have the drawings done by mid-November and to start the plug then.

There's interest in building the TK Class with quad 0.5 unit stern guns. I'd be inclined to try dual stern guns in each aft turret trained 15 degrees to port and starboard, but will see how well angled stern guns work in the Hawkins and Profintern first.

4. Selley

Selley Active Member

Mark41 and wfirebaugh like this.
  5. wfirebaugh

wfirebaugh Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Selley likes this.
  6. Selley

Selley Active Member

I downloaded all of the Japanese ship pdfs as well they also got the IJN TAIHO

wfirebaugh likes this.
  7. Nibbles1

Nibbles1 Well-Known Member

WOW THIS IS GREAT
    Ha I do stuff while in class to

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    wfirebaugh and Selley like this.