HobbyKing HK6S 2.4Ghz FHSS 6Ch Tx & Rx (Mode 2)

Discussion in 'Product Review' started by Rob Wood, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

Thoroughly tested this radio yesterday as a low-cost way to outfit a loaner convoy vessel. Installed it in my Cimarron on a lake with a very noisy radio environment with multiple model boats on ground frequencies, air frequencies, 2.4 GHz and even 27 MHz. Not a single glitch, even on the far side of the lake:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp

This is a $27.75 6-channel 2.4 GHz transmitter and matching receiver. I'm going to leave it in the Cimarron for next Sunday's battle, and hand it to a visitor or prospective recruit to give it a thorough workout in combat. Then I'll report back here,

Rob

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Yep, seems to work fairly well...

[​IMG]

I-boat's was installed at the start of last year.

3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I do see that in the newer version they've gone with a built-in antenna in the radio. Depending on how they did that may be a cause for some concern. I do not believe that a chip antenna or a PCB trace antenna will get you anywhere near the output power and range capabilities of a proper external antenna like previously used, though whether or not HK was actually using the external anywhere near capabilities is a question I am not able to answer...

How far is it to the far side of the lake you were testing on?

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I have one for a convoy as well. My only gripe is that it has to be connected to a PC via special cable to program it. That said, it's a programmable 6 channel radio for $27!!! I have a laptop for programming, and really, for a convoy, does it matter once it's set? Other than minor speed adjustments, anyhow. I have the older receiver that has the separate antenna unit that plugs into the receiver and it works fine, as Rob says.

5. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

The range was over 200 yards - way beyond my ability to see the ship as more than a moving blob of shadow - even without an external antenna.

On programming this radio: It has no programmable functions. Basically, this is an analog radio in digital disguise, but it does have physical reversing switches and digital trim tabs.To me, the simplicity of these radios is actually a preferable trait in a loaner convoy vessel. Set the throws mechanically, and you're done. My suggestion to my club is that we build 6 identical small convoy vessels, each with one of these radios dedicated to it. Maybe get a couple of spares while they're available, and some spare receivers. Give each ship a unique color scheme, but otherwise, set them all up with identical equipment, installed exactly the same. Have these on hand at every battle for visitors to run, and presto! Instant fleet action with fun for all. I think it's an excellent way to recruit, and to get new people into the hobby with the least hassle.

Rob

6. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Yep, The one Tug is speaking about is fully programmable, and has EPAs, etc. but you need to hook it to your computer to program it with a cable. hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__904...de_2_.html built by FlySky and also available here: www.hobbypartz.com/79p-ct6b-r6b-radiosystem.html where, unlike the Hobbyking version, actually comes with the programming cable. The advantage in Rob's use as visitor radios is that the visitor cannot screw around with the settings once the radio has been "tuned" to the ship (every ship, no matter how identical you try to make it, will have some slight differences from the next in my experience).
    For a bit more, Hobbypartz has the same radio with 20 model memory and a built-in programming interface (and a bit nicer looking, I think), for under $55 here:www.hobbypartz.com/79p-t6-6ch-radio-lcd.html no hooking up to a computer to set end-points etc.
    Not being to set endpoints etc. on the radio Rob was talking about is a non-starter for me, even if it is, counting cable, about $5 cheaper. I like to be able to adjust speed and endpoints on my servos.
    I note the newer integrated antenna model is actually more expensive than the programmable one.
    Cheers,

7. gunner250

gunner250 Active Member

how many channel radio would I need for a Missouri if I have it rotate to the same side and have one button to fire the front cannons and one for the back cannon plus have it where the cannon will go from level to a down ward angle at the same time (front and back cannons)

8. wrenow

wrenow RIP

For a Missouri, you could get by with a decent 6 channel, but, for the way I plan to set up a 3 main turret ship, I plan to use 11 (3 for each turret - rotate, depress, fire; one for throttle, one for rudder) minimum once my Taranis comes in. Even a Turnigy 9XR can give you 16 channels, but the FRSky Taranis gives you 32 channels controlled for not that much more ($200 for TX, battery, carrying case, and 16 channel RX).
    However, most would consider this way overkill, even for Big Gun (even though it is cheaper than some 4-6 channel radios I have bought in the past).

I DO suggest 2 things.

1) you will want a radio with adjustable endpoints.
    2) buy the radio LAST, after the ship is built and armed. This area is still quite fluid and best bang for the buck changes rapidly.

Just my .02, ymmv.

Cheers,

9. gunner250

gunner250 Active Member

ok thanks

10. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Hey Guys.
    Dose the radio have the EPA to it? I'm looking to it for my carrier.
    Thanks.
    Nikki

11. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

I might be old school or just plain cheap, but for 30 bucks thats my next radio! :laugh:.
    I'm in the MWC, and most ships never use even 6 channels! My Mutsu uses 5, 1- Drive Motor, 1- stern guns, 1- Bow gun, 1 - bow rotate, 1- rudder. She uses a auto switch for the bilge and a system built in to auto depress/raise barrel when rotating to oposite sides. Even If I ran a standard Fastgun set up with a rotate/elevation in the bow, I would not need more than 6 channels. Even the largest unit ship in MWC runs with 8 units as the Iowa, the channels are 1 for sidemounts, 1 for stern guns, 1 for bilge, 1 for rudder, 1 for drive motor. The only reason I would use more than 6 channels in a radio is if I had all kinds of extras like running lights ect...
    Now thats speaking for fastgun, biggun fellas do things in a bigger way :laugh: they need a radio made by NASA with 48 onboard satilite uplinks to run a pt 109..... :crying:
    With that said, I see the radio as a big plus. It doesn't have all the mixers and other things a pilot uses.... I dont need them, I pust a lever, shoot a gun.... I push a lever, I move left or right... too easy and I dont need a expensive radio to do it.
    I do know having the nicer radios is good for those who can afford them, but for getting new people in the hobby..... this is the ticket, a very low cost radio that anybody can use.. I am all for cheap!!! :woot:

12. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Hi Nikki,
    As per my earlier post, there a re two very similar radios with similar prices, one with and one without EPAs.The one Rob originally mentioned does NOT have EPAs - only servo reverse and manual trims.
    The one Tug is speaking about is fully programmable, and has EPAs, etc. but you need to hook it to your computer to program it with a cable. hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__904...de_2_.html built by FlySky and also available here: www.hobbypartz.com/79p-ct6b-r6b-radiosystem.html where, unlike the Hobbyking version, actually comes with the programming cable.
    For a bit more, Hobbypartz has the same radio with 20 model memory and a built-in programming interface (and a bit nicer looking, I think), for under $55 here:www.hobbypartz.com/79p-t6-6ch-radio-lcd.html - no hooking up to a computer to set end-points etc. as you just do that on the radio.
    Cheers,