Hobbywing 60A esc help.

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by bb26, Jul 22, 2019.

1. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Hi there. I am looking for help with a Hobbywing brushed 60A esc. I am getting a flashing red light. Not getting the notification that the set up is complete. I checked the troubleshooting guide. I have ttied every channel on my radio and it is still the same. Am i missing anything. It is set for 7.2 Nimh batteries. Mode is fwd/rev.

2. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

What radio are you using? Does the receiver work if you hook it up to a servo or something? Could you take a picture of the setup? Sorry to ask the obvious questions

3. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I am using a Spektrum dx5e radio and receiver. I have connected the rudder servo to the receiver and it works fine. The motors are hooked in using bullet connectors. The guts have been mostly removed as this is a runner for my wife to use. I will get a pic the next time i am working on the boat

4. Kevin P.

Thanks. Do you have the throttle set at neutral when you turn it on? Throttle trim at 0? It typically makes a couple beeps (don't move throttle stick until you hear the last beep). They have been very plug and play for me

5. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

The throttle is set at neutral when i plug in the esc. The minute i add the receiver battery the esc flashes red. I don't get the beep. It could be my receiver batteries dont have enough power for the esc. 20190722_232754.jpg

6. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I'd skip the rx battery and just hook the ESC up to your main battery, let it provide the RX power, then try again

7. Kevin P.

I agree with nick, try it without the receiver battery. Also if you want to use the receiver battery then be sure to remove the red wire from the servo lead going from the ESC to the receiver. Leaving both plugged in typically results in burning up the ESC

8. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I removed the receiver battery and hooked up to the main battery. The esc still has a flashing light but there is no power in the receiver itself. I am charging a bew battery to see if that is the problem.

9. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I discovered the problem. It was a bad nimh pack. The pack is either bad or there is an issue charging it. I purchased a new pack yesterday and charged it this afternoon. I just plugged it in and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the assistance.

10. Kevin P.

Great. Remember to pull the red wire from the ESC servo lead

NickMyers likes this.
  11. Charley

Charley Vendor

As noted above if you do not plan to use BEC remove red lead. Not doing so can and will cause ESC to burn at anytime

12. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I run mine off my main batteries but Yes as the guys suggested Paul about removing the red lead .