Hopes, Dreams, and Desires? *Feeler*

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by JustinScott, Oct 6, 2009.

1. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Let's say you were a god. Someone who with the lightest touch could get exactly what you want.
    What would you want to hop up your ship? Multi-speed trannsmissions... easier to install cannon rotates
    Is there anything you do during a battle that is too slow, gets in your way, or could be done better if a machine was doing it?
    Would you want your ship to send you back any info? Motor temp, RPM, current etc...
    Is there anything that you would like to have control over, but just simply can't? Constant RPM instead of fixed voltage speed controllers..

2. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

There would be two or three things

1) A book called RCWarship Combat for dummies. Explains (with plenty of diagrams) to build and maintain our warships. A book with all the collective knowledge within our hobby

2) Cannons that install with no fuss.

3) I would want an indicator on the transmitter that shows the ammo state for each cannon. Shows how many rounds remaining.

3. JustinScott

>I would want an indicator on the transmitter that shows the ammo state for each cannon. Shows how many rounds remaining.
    That's an interesting idea... I was actually thinking about that this morning.

What else?

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Brian K is working on #3 with numeral readouts. Merry Christmas. :)

#2 - I have a thought: "The Grail!!! We seek The Grail!!!" I think it is a worthy goal; from my perspective, pre-made mounts that the cannons are pinned/screwed/slotted into would be very nice, the gas lines are pretty easy, but my mounts do not please me aesthetically. Brian K is working on muffin mags; he tested them on his Vanguard and they are getting more testing on Evstafi. I lump these under 'no fuss' because they don't require the long magazines to be threaded around. Muffin mags have had feed problems in the past, though, so it remains to be seen if they are a fix.

I think #1 would be awesome. Might be fun to do as a group project. Even if the 'Books for Dummies' people don't want it, we could self-publish via Lulu or something similar. Anyone want to sign up to rough out a chapter?

5. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

5. a one power system supply for both propulsion and armaments... either all battery or all compressed gas (I like all battery, personally).

6. a defouling system for props that actually works

7. my pivoting barrels to work (I hope I hope) for easy elevation control

I second and third the readily installable cannons. As far as the muffin mags, if brianK is still having problems with them, I've got some lessons learned from the hopper feeding stuff on my cannons that may be of value to him, feel free to have him drop me a line.

8. proper understanding of power/prop/fluid flow around various common ships to aid in the use of non-standard motors.

6. Tugboat

Brian's muffin mags worked well in Vanguard, but I think that any sharing between you two would be good for improving the breed, as it were...

The trick with the fluid flow is a lack of a "fluid wind-tunnel" to observe the effects of changes in arrangements (props, motors, prop positioning, hull shapes). Again, a cool idea... I wonder how much flow one would need to generate to simulate having a ship at speed for dynamic measurements. Also, how big would such a flow tunnel have to be?

Note: I'm off work now, so I'll be on in a bit :)

7. Tugboat

Brian's muffin mags worked well in Vanguard, but I think that any sharing between you two would be good for improving the breed, as it were...

The trick with the fluid flow is a lack of a "fluid wind-tunnel" to observe the effects of changes in arrangements (props, motors, prop positioning, hull shapes). Again, a cool idea... I wonder how much flow one would need to generate to simulate having a ship at speed for dynamic measurements. Also, how big would such a flow tunnel have to be?

Note: I'm off work now, so I'll be on in a bit :)

8. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I'd love the idea of a "RCWarship Combat for Dummies" book, but it'd need updating every few years to keep up with advances in technology, boatbuilding technique, strategy, and tactics. I don't know about any other clubs, but the WWCC is evolving very quickly right now. Boats that were considered top-of-the-line just five years ago are now considered suicide boats because of how much more reliable and destructive our weapons/damage control/team tactics are. And that's assuming fiberglass construction. Wooden shipbuilding is also a forever-evolving art.

Personally, what I would like to see the most is a reliable supplier of high-quality Big Gun cannons of all shapes and sizes. Not that I'm hinting or anything, Strike Models...

Other than that, I would like:
    9) an improved pump switch. Something that allows both manual and automatic control of pumps, with nifty features like failsafes, fail-to-prime detection, etc.
    10) waterproof servos, radios, etc. rated for deep water (15 feet or more)
    11) unlimited boatbuilding budget! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Greg, for your idea #5, I would suggest you investigate small electric air compressors. They're a little loud (the main reason they aren't more widespread in Big Gun) but they provide lots of air when you plug them into a 12v battery, and with an adjustable pressure cutoff switch, you can get whatever pressure you want out of it. And if one compressor isn't enough air, you can always use two! I remember hearing that one Big Gun Yamato, around 15 years ago or so, was a particularly deadly foe because it had four compressors in it.

9. GregMcFadden

well, simply put, at 10% conversion efficiency, a 6V 6AH battery has about the same stored energy for our purposes as 9oz of co2..... at about 1.5-2x the weight... I need to do more math on it.

10. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

If I were a god who could get whatever I wanted, I wouldn't be wasting my time on toy boats! Hello Jessica Alba!

11. Tugboat

Greg, might be fun to buy a cheap air tool and an adjustable regulator (since most air tools aren't rated for 150psi) and try a turbine-driven boat. Of course, one might have todo an ehead turbine and an astern turbine, since the lil air tool turbines aren't built for reverse. I guess you could get a reversing air tool and use the gearing from that to implement reverse. With the power that such a system could generate, you'd probably be better off in a Battleship with a 20oz tank.

12. GregMcFadden

yepo. I really am not putting any effort into that one right now, I have plenty of other stuff to do... but it is a desire of mine to pick one energy source and be done with it.

13. Tugboat

MAC's that fire BBs? Then I can call my next cruiser the "Pillar of Atumn"!! 8D

14. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

w00t! go halo!

15. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

Ah, you've just touched on an idea that I'd very much like to try if I were to ever build something of significant size in 1/72. However, I'd then have to devise a better explanation to the significant other for buying a 5200psi air compressor other than "for those boats that shoot at each other."

16. Tugboat

@Karl - Heck yeah, I LOVE ME SOME HALO! My Ipod is named Cortana :)

@Wookie - maybe tell her you want to open a dive shop? ;)

17. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Where would you battle, the cargo hold of the space shuttle? You'd have just a bit of trouble modeling Covenant energy shields and plasma torpedoes...

18. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

A book with accurate tech drawings of every warships ever designed already in 144 scale.

19. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Actually, I wrote a book years ago (1980's) called the manual of R/C combat. It does need updating but parts of it are on the IRC site under http://www.ircwcc.org/links.htm . There are also how-to's from other authors there as well.

Marty

20. JustinScott

What about onboard telemetry? Anything you'd like to know about your boat while in a battle, or perhaps beforehand?