Hopes, Dreams, and Desires? *Feeler*

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by JustinScott, Oct 6, 2009.

1. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

I would like onboard gps/position/direction on all ships so that one could replay the battle and see what could be done better...

2. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

i would like to have someone to get my ship when it sinks

3. MWC13

MWC13 Member

We have that now. His name is Steve.

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Steve is handy to have around. If you can clone him I'll take one.

@Greg, sounds like the onboard telemetry they use at Red Flag.

5. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Hmmm.. Gps? Not a bad thought... Interesting.

6. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Yep, we've got two primary Ship Recovery Devices and one backup. Bitondo Bros Productions operates two 6' long ROVs with two five-jaw manipulators and propelled by two flippers (for improved maneuverability). Dual Mark 1 Model 0 cameras in the visual spectrum for following float strings and two low-power hydrophones for locating running motors and pumps. One is being modified to carry an auxiliary air tank for improved underwater endurance (he's taking the test in Monterey Bay this weekend). The WWCC's backup is not operated by BBP. Thebackup is an older model, but includes a greater underwater endurance and can be fitted with an auxiliary air tank.

I would be interested in GPS and recording of some sort. I'd like to see a GPS module on both the bow and stern of each ship. It would be fascinating to watch the tracks of the ships as the battle progresses and see how the ships actually maneuver and how the various tactics work out.

7. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I don't think a unit in each end would give us that; the accuracy is not that good. +/- 15'

But a single unit can give you position (within margin of error), course, and speed. And of course, altitude, but that would only change if... ;)

8. GregMcFadden

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9171

2.5m accuracy(would be interesting to know the difference in a small area of random and systemic errors, as one could calibrate out the systemic)...

Might be sufficiently usable, depending on the nature of the accuracy.

Would also be usable (in straight lines at least) to do speed testing, as 0.1 m/s should be accurate enough for our purposes.......

9. GregMcFadden

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=9436

I should add, that any suitably fast gps setup would allow one to know ship heading well enough via its own internal heading algorithm or just doing some calculus on the position data....

the one I linked to says 4hz, which sounds slow for our purposes but seems fast for gps...

10. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

What about an on board smoke generator that emits smoke every time the cannons fire. Simulate the gun powder.

11. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

1. I'd like a recovery unit I could install in a ship that would re-float it after a sink, and then automatically return it to port.
    2. I'd like a robot that would repair my ships after a battle.
    3. I'd like a repulsion field that could be fine-tuned to prevent rounds from hitting anything above deck.
    4. I'd like a self-sealing pneumatic system for guns.

Rob

12. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

I would like everyone to be able to build more reliable ships that function how they are supposed to when they are supposed to. I think if we could achieve that then the hobby would be a lot better off. To many battles people have to sit out or sink early cause something isn't working right, that is not as much fun.

13. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Hehe, that's a good one, snipe. I'd like to see some zero-maintenance ships. no labor required once construction is complete (no loading, no patching, no refilling gas bottles, replacing o-rings, re-greasing propshafts, removing rusty ball bearings, and no fixing those tiny superstructure details that got blasted off last battle)

14. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Rob, I guess you haven't seen my robot. It's got two fully articulated, multi-function manipulators. It's great for patching, sanding, painting, providing an extra hand when soldering. It occasionally complains if I apply too much heat when soldering, so I've gotten better about working quickly with the right heat levels and avoiding drips (it REALLY complains of I drip on it). It's especially useful at the pond for reloading and taping over holes. It's got a pretty good AI, though it has it's limits, and can be expensive to keep powered on. Overall, I'd give the robot four of five stars. Unfortunately, I think the store is out of stock now, but you should be pleased to hear that I just completed an upgrade on it that should help insulate it from cold water and improve it's underwater endurance.

15. Rob Wood

Rob Wood NAMBA Rep

Dang! Oh well - but wait a minute! Gascan, consider this: my need is actually greater than yours. I'm old, and you're young. My eyes don't work so well, my knees are shot and I have arthritus in some of my fingers. I'd buy a robot lke yours if I could, but alas! They are out of stock, as you say.
    I feel it is only fair if you loan me your robot until the factory produces more of them. I promise to take good care of it. I'll store it in the closet in my hallway, and keep it charged and oiled, only taking it out when I have a task for it to perform. What do you say?

Rob

16. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I'd love to take you up on your offer, but I'm hard at work on some much-needed after-market upgrades to the AI. Now that I've improved it's resistance to cold water, I've sent it to the CSU Chico Mechatronics Dept. for upgrades to it's logic processes. I think I can let you try it out at the LMS salvaging your boat after I sink it, but I don't think now is the best time for any long-term arrangements.

17. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Hi Marty;
    Just tried that link and it does not work.
    It goes to local clubs.

18. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

BDE R/C has this on their website http://www.bderc.com/howto/index.html. This was one of the assets that we purchased, so we'll be putting it up on our website soon, and also have a .doc version available.

Keri

19. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

try http://www.ircwcc.org/manual.html

The links page works but it does have problems with some broswers - - - I use internet explorer.

Marty

20. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I was just thinking back to my original dream of a steady, reliable supplier of Big Gun cannons. There might really be a deity watching this thread, because look how fast my wish was granted!