How do I sheet a ship?

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Julian Barbera, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Julian Barbera

Julian Barbera Active Member

Hi, I've been reading mike5334's guide to ship building, but he doesn't cover sheeting the ship. I've been having a hard time finding a thread about sheeting a ship with photos, so if anyone knows of any please tell me. Thanks!

2. Mark41

Mark41 Active Member

I use 3" or 4" 1/32" balsa sheets and use modelers dope (50/50 dope to thinner) and sheet one side using silkspan. Place the silkspan side towards the hull. I use CA glue, but others use contact cement or other means to fasten the balsa to the hull. I cut several pieces to size and dry fit with clamps before applying glue and adding piece. Clamp and let cure. You can do several pieces on the ship at a time while glue dries. Then sand the joints smooth. Once both sides are completely covered with balsa, add another layer of silkspan to the outer sides of the balsa. (Hopefully this will help from splintering when hit by bbs). Before I glue balsa to the hull, I paint the hull with primer paint to help when I have to remove balsa and re-sheet.
    I hope advice this helps.

Attached Files:

3. Julian Barbera

4. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Most of us have been using contact cement for the past several years. Heat gun helps removing the sheeting after a year of battling. Grinding CA produces fumes which get into the eyes and is somewhat unpleasant. I use spray contact cement to put silk span on the balsa and liquid to put the sheeting on the ship.

5. Julian Barbera

So the general idea is: glue silk span to balsa with spray contract cement or molders dope, glue balsa to ship with normal contact cement or molders dope. Is the contact cement just DAP weldwood? or is it a special product. Also, where is a good place to but silk span? Thanks!

6. Sinkazuki

Sinkazuki Active Member

Mist water on the outside of the balsa before you glue it to the hull.
    Helps it bend to contours without cracking.

Use the lightest silkspan you can find. I've been using brodak light. Its not as light as the old sig 00 but that's not available any more apparently.

Weldwood is what I use but thin it with mek 50/50 for penetrability.
    Randy