How do I wire up my motors?

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by a1476ae5-898a-43ff-b257-201169938578, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I agree with you on that. I should have prefaced my statement with: I run 12V, so my current is lower and I can run 14gage :)

That said, if you're running smaller than a Yammer or Iowa, 14'll probably do it, although I'd want 12 on the battery leads since the full speed/pump running combo will demand more :) If you're running a slow BC or a cruiser or smaller, 14 is fine.

If you're running a Yammer, go with 00 welding cable.

If you're running an Allied BB, go with 30gage wire ;) lol

2. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Craig the 14 gauge wiring comes with the drive system, its just the connectores themselves you have to supply. Go with Deans or andersons.

3. Craig

Craig Active Member

Deans or andersons, got it. I am curious though, what about the powerpole ones Tuggs? Can you discribe that a little more? That's not where you drop the batteries right in and the connecters are on a frame so when everything is lined up you have power? Or am I off base here. I also woudl prefer to solder the engines direct, I think this is the best way to handle that end of things. Should I install the pump on a seperate circuit? Just getting suggestions. I appreciate the info guys.

4. Tugboat

The Anderson Powerpole connectors are in a few pieces. The metal contacts get soldered onto the wire you're using. Basically, sit it on there, and solder. The Second part is the plastic shell, there are 2 of these, one red and one black. Stick the metal part into the plastic part and push in until you hear a click. Do this for the positive and negative, and you can either leave them separate, or use the little grooves on the sides to lock them together. There is a more formal instruction here that has a picture: http://www.powerwerx.com/assembly.asp

That's where I buy them from. If you just want enough to hook a couple of batteries to your ship, it's probably not worth buying a bag from them. I buy them in bags of 100 or 250 and you'd come out cheaper getting them from me if you want less than 100 :)

_IS_ Meg a girl?

5. Craig

Craig Active Member

Meg is. LOL Ok, got it, I've seen those before. They are a little more expense right? But, worth it.

6. Tugboat

Actually, they're a lot cheaper. I posted the price of the Deans connectors in a post somewhere in this thread, it was like 9 or 10 bucks. The powerpoles wind up being like a buck and a half for (my opinion) superior performance.

7. Craig

Craig Active Member

I'll have to check this out as Bis will be the best that I can get around here. Most hardware stores carry these?

8. Tugboat

The powerpole connectors? No, they're a little specialized, but like I said, you can order them online easily enough, or I'll sell you 10 pairs for $10 including shipping. I'd just give 'em to you, but I'm a poor med student :) But if you look at the price on that website, I'm paying .75 cents/pair so it's not like I'm gouging you :)

9. Craig

Craig Active Member

*psssstttt* how do you take payment and will 10 do a class 7 and a class 6? :)

10. Tugboat

pssstt!! USPS money order or bank check works, until I get the e-commerce crap set up :) The way to look at it is: you need one pair(a + and a -) for each battery, and a pair for the connection on the ship. SO:

If you run one battery at a time on your ship, with another battery charging on shore, you need 3 pairs for that ship.
    If you run 2 batteries at a time on your ship, with another 2 batteries charging, you will need 6 pairs for that ship.

The ones I have are the 30A sets, that fit 12 and 14 gauge wire. I sell them in bags of 10 because it's a convenient number and still less than a pair of Deans connectors :) Also, that leaves you extras for more batteries, or a new ship :)

My address is: Clark Ward, 288F Herndon Rd, Waynesboro, GA 30830 This address is good for mailing, or if you're a hot chick, stalking :) Ow! Honey, what'd I... Ow!

11. Craig

Craig Active Member

Just sent you an e-mail on this ... thanks Tug

12. Tugboat

I haven't seen the email, Craig, where'd you send it? :)

13. Craig

Craig Active Member

ummmmmmmm it was to you on the forum, through your name when I click on it... You did not get it?

14. Tugboat

I got it, Craig... it disappeared into the junk mail box! lol

I rescued it and I'll be waiting for your reply with how many you want.

15. Craig

Craig Active Member

Yikes.. Junk mail! :( O.k. I will be once again deferring to Curt on this matter as I would order and my address is going to change before months end... lemme throw it his way! LOL