How does a rookie know what ships to shoot?

Discussion in 'Scenarios / Gameplay' started by Don Folk, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Don Folk

Don Folk Active Member

I've watched many videos while trying to track down a ship... I see some with flags and others without. Other than getting yelled at by team members, how do I know who to shoot at?

2. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

It can get confusing at times. The ones acting together in a pack, will be the Axis, the ones running around by themselves, will be the Allies.

3. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

As a rookie, if they shoot at you, shoot back. If you shoot at them and they say 'hey you're on my team,' stop. It's expected for new guys. At smaller battles there will be 6-12 ships so its usually pretty easy to know the sides, there will also be time to tour around the pits, and you can stand next to someone on your team and they can guide you if you really want. You will pick it up eventually

Don Folk likes this.
  4. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Good question. Best answer is to learn your ships. Once you start looking through the battleships of different countries you'll start to notice general characteristics that will help you recognize a German, British, or American ship from the rest. If in doubt you can always ask a teammate or just avoid the ship and ask the captian before next sortie.

5. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Looking from a broader perspective, there are a lot of things that someone has to do / have to go right to be in a situation where you worry about which boats to shoot.

At a high level, those steps include:
    1) Purchase materials and build a functioning boat
    2) Make it to an event
    3) Have boat functional at event
    4) Make it on the water and don't go immediately out of control/sink
    5) Have guns that work, fire semi regularly, can be tweaked
    6) Have the confidence to not run away from everyone else
    7) Get in position to actually shoot someone (with the potential of damaging them)
    8) Execute

None of steps 1-8 should be taken as a given. In general, I recommend working through 1-8 first, worry about ship ID once those others are complete :) There will be plenty of help along the way if you want it. Making the trip to the Bradford battle will be worth more than 1000's of forum posts or videos

ZARUBA1987, kgaigalas and Beaver like this.
  6. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

None of steps 1-8 should be taken as a given. In general, I recommend working through 1-8 first, worry about ship ID once those others are complete :) There will be plenty of help along the way if you want it. Making the trip to the Bradford battle will be worth more than 1000's of forum posts or videos

You forgot:
    [​IMG]

Don Folk and SteveT44 like this.
  7. kgaigalas

kgaigalas Well-Known Member

getting a boat and battling it will do wonders for your identification ability.
    You will never forget a ship that comes up next to you and sinks you.:bang::bang::bang::bang:
    I like walking around the pits instead. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Pick a ship and join the fun :):)

Anvil_x and Don Folk like this.
  8. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

I still shoot whoever comes near, just to be safe?

Nomercy and jadfer like this.
  9. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

Most local events are much smaller than the big events you see on videos. This makes ship identification much easier. In our club we break up the fleet by ship capability (this could mean many things) and captain skill & flag as needed.

For the National Events see above.....

"It can get confusing at times. The ones acting together in a pack, will be the Axis, the ones running around by themselves, will be the Allies."

Lou and Don Folk like this.
  10. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

Ship identification is one of the skills to the hobby, you'll pick it up once you get battling.

ZARUBA1987 and Don Folk like this.
  11. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Knowing that that ship is Axis or Allied is one thing.
    Knowing that that ship is a VDT is better.
    Knowing that that ship is a Nagato with a bow sidemount on each side and a stern side mount on starboard is even better.
    Knowing that that ship is Mark L's, he's from Texas, his dad is Jeff, Johnny is his wingman, and his guns are set up like this and you should avoid being on this side but his other side is currently empty because he just sank Tom. That's the best thing to know in battle.
    When you can look at a ship and know who is running it and have an idea of how to battle against it, then you've been around a while.

12. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

That Nagato runs out of ammo? ;)

Nomercy and daisycutter like this.
  13. Nibbles1

Nibbles1 Well-Known Member

I, being a history nerd, just knows the silhouette of most ships.