how many channels for a richilieu ?

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by burnzy232, Mar 14, 2010.

1. burnzy232

burnzy232 Member

lol, peppered!:laugh: haven't heard that one before.
    funny he didnt think of that himself, use the rears on the transport and fend of any ships that come in from behind with the mains.
    oh and did those stern guns rotate or were they fixed? my guess is fixed seeing as he had to turn around

2. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Au contraire, mon ami. his traverse just fine. But to get all 3 turrets to bear, you have to be near directly astern, and I was at his 2 o'clock when he arrived, as I recall - out of the range of traverse of any of his stern guns. So he had to change position to put me at about 5:30 o'clock at the minimum to gain effectiveness.

One reason stern turrets are not needed (and often not desired) so badly on the Richelieu/Dunkerque type ships. The forward turrets have a great range of traverse (around 270 degrees, more or less), and you can bring them to bear at the extreme ends by a quick kick or the rudder. The stern turrets are more limited in their traverse range as a unit (the offside has very little traverse except in one direction). And, the stern turrets add more complexity and failure points to your mechanical/RF/co2 systems. And more sink points for those clubs that use them. Thus, many who take the trouble to arm them just set them for fixed astern.

Cheers,

3. burnzy232

burnzy232 Member

cool, so they did rotate but he just wanted to fire them all at once, but then again if i had the chance to fire them all at once, i would.
    oh and with the side turrets, thats why i want to put them on three channels, or use that ratchet system i though of, so that they can be used as a unit at the 6 o clock postion and as french sandwich deterant :laugh: