How much does it cost and can you build a cruiser for 500 or less

Discussion in 'General' started by Alfred Jarvis, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Alfred Jarvis

Alfred Jarvis New Member

is there any way you can give me a rough estimate of the costs?

2. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

It is hard to estimate how much it would cost to build a Cruiser as the choice of equipment varies.

If you build it with a club there are many things they already have that you buy what you need rather than a minimum order elsewhere. Epoxy, small wood pieces, etc.

If you build on your own it can be more expensive depending on what you buy.

So a quick run down:

Today's Cruiser
    Hull up to 150
    Wood decks 50
    Guns - 80
    hose /fitting 20
    bottle 55
    regulator 55
    motors 10
    esc 30
    solenoids 2x55 (I only use recommend KIP)
    firing boards 2 x 25
    pump relay 5
    Pump 30
    batteries (4.5ah nimh) 30 each need at least 4
    charger 30 - 50
    Radio like we use 140
    Receiver 30
    waterproof rudder servo 45

So you are looking at about $1050 approx.

You can save a little money using poppets you could shave off maybe 110 but would have to add servos and poppets.

If you build it to drive around only you can drop all the air parts but I would keep the pump just in case.

That is based on the products that all the guys in Texas use right now.

If you use the cheapest of cheap products then you might get the price down another 200.. but you get what you pay for.

Sometimes you can get a good deal on a used ship but they usually need a TON of work to be viable.

Hope this helps you out.

Johnny

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2015
  3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I'd note that @jadfer's list illustrates nicely my view that its more worthwhile to build something with more guns, because the additional cost for a few more guns is marginal compared to the basic cost of the platform.

I would definitely 2nd the buyer-beware warning on used ships - ask an experienced captain to check it out before you throw money at it if at all possible.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I would say a poppet-armed cruiser can be done without great drama at about $500.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2015
  5. Alfred Jarvis

Alfred Jarvis New Member

Ah ok, what i meant with the single gun is it only has one installed, and id put another in a different place later. but I heard about strike models and saw that they had a few "rookie" kits for about 600

6. NickMyers

You still need to pickup batteries and radio with those kits.
    For TX/RX I argue that we're not flying the ships, and that a chinese < 50$ 2.4ghz radio is perfectly fine for our application. Others will dissent. YMMV.
    On the battery front you can go with Nimhs, LiPoly, LiFePo or in some cruisers old fashioned lead bricks. they all have different pricepoints and performance levels, and in the case of LiPoly's a minor risk of your ship becoming an inferno (really quite small).

7. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

I fully agree here, especially for a new captain. Hobbyking can be your best friend on a number of fronts, one of them being well featured, affordable radios.

If you have some tools and are handy, you can scratch build a hull and save quite a chunk of money too. The cost of all the supplies to build a wood hull should fall in the $75-ish range, and that would probably leave some leftover supplies for the next hull.... and yes, just ask Tuggy.... there is ALWAYS a next hull.. ... :laugh:;)

8. Alfred Jarvis

Alfred Jarvis New Member

I have access to some basic tools (like id probably be hand sanding pieces and hand cutting them) as for building one, its what id prefer. The radios i understand as being a big principle (it holds the same in RC planes).

9. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I wouldn't suggest the kit... we usually don't use any of the hardware in the kits as they don't do the job as well as other things. You can make your own drive train cheaply, easy to make rudders, we can show you, easy to make everything and its less expensive. In addition to that I know Doug and myself keep scrap boxes which rookies can raid for small pieces of brass, wood, metal, plastic in the construction of their kit.

You DO need turrets at a minimum which are hard to make on your own but most else.. a few pieces of scrap wood is all you need.

As far as the hobby king radios.. as others have said some like them others don't. The one thing for you to consider in the quest to save money... there is NO ONE in Texas runs a hobby king radio except perhaps in big gun. If you have a problem... there will be no expert at the local battles to help you OR have a spare ANYTHING to loan you in the event of a failure. If you travel much further like Georgia of Florida (15-16HRS from you) to battle then you would find folks that are using the equipment they are recommending and could help you 0n-site.

The guys in Texas use mostly Spektrum (old DX6, DX6i) and a couple futaba or other. AND we already had an issue with a rookie with a Futaba radio... needing a battery pack... nobody else had any batteries for him to use, but thankfully I had one but not two. When that battery ran out it was the end of the day for him as the used NICAD pack would not hold a charge. I like the DX6i as it can use cheap alkaline... I don't have to worry about charging it.. just throw in some new cells I buy at Walmart. Another rookie had a radio that none of the Texas guys new how to program or work with but thankfully Bob from Minnesota attended the event (because it was a regional.. a travel event) and was able to loan him a SPARE receiver for the weekend. At a local battle .. we wouldn't have been able to figure it out until he bought the right receiver.

Nearly everyone in Texas uses Kip Solenoids.. they cost more but will last you the life of the hobby, however you may need to replace O-rings and plungers from time to time.

I cant tell you enough about the VALUE of using the same equipment as the battlers in your immediate area. If you use the same connectors, chargers, batteries, radios, gun systems.. there will always be somebody with a part to loan you in the event of an emergency. Most new guys wont spend a bunch of money for spare parts.. and spares are a BIG part of our hobby.

So for me... I say decide what you want to do and then get with the local group for selection and building assistance.. you wont be the first Captain on a budget we have met and we are all ready and waiting to help out the next new recruit and get them on the water.... so we can shoot them. ;)

IF you want to do Fast Gun in Texas.. we are your local group.. www.texasnavalbrigade.com - and the guys in Houston are most set up to help you out.
    If you want to do big gun then you would have to travel to the Dallas area (Kaufman) for everything.

Trust me .. come out to Rosenberg in July and you will have a good time.

10. NickMyers

It sounds like you'd be best served making use of your schools shop facilities (I bet they exist if you ask the right people or take the right courses) and/or hitting up work days and build sessions. Its a little bit of a trek for sure, but the is a rather singularly unique hobby and you'll get a ship built 100x faster and much cheaper with a local club's help than going it alone.

11. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

On the radio, make sure it has servo endpoint adjustments on the radio. Many of the low cost options do not and require a separate PC to make these adjustments. End point adjustment allows you to easily set your max speed (very important in all rule sets).

12. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

That sounds awesome. Do you mind sharing the breakdown? What parts are made by the builder vs. purchased? Perhaps we need to re-think this a bit if we can build ships for this cost.

13. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

I'd love to have your feedback on how we could make the kits better. Drop me a PM here, or send an email over to us at sales at strikemodels dot com. Thanks!

14. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

A ready-to-battle Yamato with a ten year supply of bb's and co2, charged battery's, and a gang of roadies to launch and retrieve the beast, all for three easy payments of $39.99?

Scharnhorst56 and absolutek like this.
  15. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

As some of the commenters said, it's best to use the same materials as others locally, so there is commonality of spares. That being said, I really like the "battling kit" option you've got for some ships. Makes it much easier for people new to the hobby to see what all is needed, and for those who aren't near other battlers, gives a good starting point.

One suggestion would be to make the website kits more... customizable. Have multiple-choice dropdowns for pump, esc, gun options, etc. Perhaps give a brushless option for motors & esc's. You could default to basic with upgradable options for all that.

Sethie likes this.
  16. Alfred Jarvis

Alfred Jarvis New Member

wow you guys are EXTREMELY helpful, i didn't know that this place was very active.

17. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

This week we're actually doing a major overhaul of all of the ship pages. The Brooklyn page is the one we've been testing with some of these improvements at USS Brooklyn | Strike Models. Hope this helps, and any comments are appreciated.

18. Tugboat

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    GeekSpeed likes this.
  19. NickMyers

There aren't thousands of us, so it can be a bit quiet now and then.

20. Tugboat

Johnny of Texas.... since you asked, I oblige!

The most expensive parts are the bottle and reg, as you've noted. So, for a DKM Leipzig 2.5 unit cruiser...

Bottle, 2.8oz $42
    Regulator $65
    Transmitter and Receiver $49.00 6-channel 2.4GHz fully programmable on the fly. You can change programming settings while you boat drives around on the lake.
    Waterproof standard servo for rudder $4.32 each, hell buy THREE and call it $13. (need one for rudder, one for MAVs, and call the third a spare)
    Wood, 1/4" 12"x48" $15
    1/8"x6"x48 $13 (5-ply)
    Titebond III waterproof glue $8
    550 motor (brushed for you luddites out there) $5.50
    45A car ESC for drive motor $10.45
    8" stuffing tube and propshaft $9.50
    1/8" to 1/8" coupling $8.00
    1.5" 5-blade prop $22.00 for a pair (only need one! Hooray for spares!)
    Rudder $4.00 I recommend ordering RUD300, and cutting it down to a legal size.
    5AH 8.4 LiPO battery $15.40 (You can battle all morning on this battery, charge it over lunch, and then battle on it in the afternoon)
    Battery Charger $36.99 Has LCD screen, allows one to set voltage and charge rate, and as a bonus can run on AC or you can connect it to your car battery at the lake!
    10' of red and black 14-gauge noodle wire $12.50
    1/2-unit pump $29.50 (always on, or splurge on a second $10.45 car ESC to run the pump)
    2-unit cannon kit $115.00 (includes hoses, valves, etc AND GOGGLES! :) )

Total cost: $473.84 not including shipping

For your shopping convenience, I included hyperlinks to the relevant online stores. Apart from the hull itself and the MAV mount, pretty much everything is bought pre-made, if not pre-assembled.

You're welcome! :)

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    GeekSpeed likes this.