How much rudder throw?

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by Cannonman, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Plenty good :)

What kind of gearbox and motor is that?

2. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

Cool! :cool:
    I was hoping that would be enough to work with. The more I mess with this Turnigy radio, the more impressed I am. Its awesome to get 140° travel from a standard servo without servo mods or a servo stretcher!
    The motor and gearbox.... The motor is a.... ummm...one of those..... hummmmm... it was scavenged off of a 98¢ pump I bought off of ebay, but its identical to the 365s I picked up from battlers connection for my Emile Bertin. Hopefully its got enough gusto. A test run of the motor/ gearbox/ prop shafts in a cup of water seemed pretty impressive to me, but I dont really know what I'm looking for either! :eek:
    The gearbox I made from scratch. I'm not really happy with it tho.... it was my first one and I didn't quite have as much expertise on the subject as I really needed. :confused: I should have left just a tad more clearance.... Oh well, its just a little noiser and more particular about assembly than I wanted...... thats what makes us human I guess..... we learn from experience! ;)
    I'll post a better picture in a minute, I have to take one and get it resized.... and I had a heck of a time posting that last pic for some reason. Speaking of which, looking at that last pic, it doesnt really show just how small that darn boat is!

3. Cannonman

[​IMG]

Side View

4. Cannonman

[​IMG]

View from above

5. Cannonman

[​IMG]

Top view from rear of gearbox. Sorry pics arent the best, I'm having a terrible time getting them posted :(

6. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Looks quite the business! I would go with a small brushless motor from HK, if only to save the power consumption in a small ship. But it looks quite good from here :)

7. Cannonman

Good suggestion.... at this point I wish I would have done some research on brushless and considered it. I don't really know the first thing about them.

Any suggestions on a good starting point for a motor and esc? Any chance I might be able to find one that would mount to the gearbox with minimal mods? This little boat is wearing me out, it seems like I've designed, built, and bought everything at least twice...... some things more than that :( and of course, I already have the esc... The Admiral in charge of the treasury is getting a little cranky on the subject! But I like the suggestion and would like to look into it more.