How to describe an rc warship--PERMIT REQUIRED?

Discussion in 'General' started by donanton, Sep 19, 2007.

1. donanton

donanton Member

I live in NJ.
    I am trying to find out if an ircwcc or big gun ship is considered a "gun" in New Jersey.

How should I describe the ship and it's cannons?

I ask this because i need this information to write a letter/ email asking if an ircwcc or big gun warship is a gun.

2. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

It would be considered a CO2 powered BB gun is all I would think, not a real gun?

3. lalimerulez

lalimerulez Member

I think it would be more of a bb gun than a real gun

4. klibben

klibben Member

"air rifle" at the most.... even then, most air rifles shoot ball bearings or at least larger caliber rounds....they do alot more damage than our do. I guess i would call it a CO2 bb gun.

5. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Unfortunately for you, BB guns are classified as Fire Arms in NJ (check out section f of chapter 39-1 of the NJ criminal code, available from the BATF or other sources). Which means that you have to conform to the laws governing firearms.

here is the offending section from my BATF big book o firearms laws

f. "Firearm" means any handgun, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, automatic or semi-automatic rifle...(abridged for clarity and sanity)... It shal also include without limitation, any firearm which is in the nature an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter with sufficient force to injure a person.

Now I have been hit by our stuff, even the lowly only penetrate 1" of pink foam cannons and they definitely injure. I still have a mark from an impact on my leg two years ago.

6. klibben

klibben Member

what?! 2 years from a fast gun?!

7. GregMcFadden

Yep. I still have the little mark on my leg.

I doubt it will ever go away. And yes they are Firearms in NJ per the statute.. and since they are fired remotely there are probably a whole host of other laws in that state that we run afowl of.

8. donanton

donanton Member

Sounds like fun.

9. donanton

donanton Member

Now i just have to find out if i need a permit for each gun or one for the ship.

10. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Most states, if you get a carry permit, it's for all the guns you own or buy. They're licensing YOU, not the weapons.

11. GregMcFadden

I believe NJ requires a permit to own firearms and then that each one be registered with local law enforcement... You should just go talk with your local sheriff or police department.

12. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

As a fellow NJ resident my arguement is that they dont fire with sufficient force to injure a person and hence arent firearms. If you dont believe me go play paintball which I know for a fact is Legal in NJ. the really stupid thing is i cant buy freakin bbs. how the whoha does neither Dicks sporting goods nor wally world have bbs. NJ is such a stupid state, oh well at least I get paid to design real guns and ammo(155mm) at work!!!!!!!

13. donanton

donanton Member

Yeah, I play paintball too. That can cause internal hemoriging, not a small hole in your skin. And snipehunter, you got any pictures of your work? I'll take a trip to the local law man to check on the classification of rc combat warship

THANKS!
    Anthony

14. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

not of guns, and id take a real ship with you with cannons to show them in person so they can really understand what you are talking about, and velocity data for the cannons (they actually fire pretty slow, the fastest at MWCI NATS this year was like 270fps but they were trying to shoot as hard as possible, not at a battle tweak which is lower, i think the average fast gun cannon fires about 190-225 fps, but thats more of a guess. actually I live by the dont ask, dont tell, dont do it in public, when it comes to this kind of stuff.

15. Tugboat

LOL Don... I'd say bruising vice internal hemorrhaging. OMG it's a subdermal hematoma!!!

16. klibben

klibben Member

Snipe,

Try Walmart, they usually carry BB's...

otherwise you can order online.

17. donanton

donanton Member

I still wont want to get shot in the neck point blank. My friend got shot in the neck. It didnt look good.

18. Tugboat

Internal hemorrhaging has a very different meaning to most ears than a big nasty bruise :) It's like real honest-to-god internal bleeding that you want to go in and surgically correct :)

19. Boatmeister

Boatmeister Active Member

To all this is a joke....
    Question for you, can you move to another state? It seems the eastern and western seaboards are losing their minds on this stuff. I'm waiting for them to pass a law saying you can't break wind for fear of offending someone who may be walking by 10 seconds later....This is political correctness is maddening....

20. donanton

donanton Member

Quick question, if an rc warship is a gun, what happens I am in posession of an unliscensed gun in the middle of the sheriff's office? Bad idea. Maybe bring someone else with their warship. :)