How to describe an rc warship--PERMIT REQUIRED?

Discussion in 'General' started by donanton, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Your best bet is to show them photos of the ships and their systems. www.westernwarshipcombat.com/gallery/ has some great photos of ships in action and under construction, which would demonstrate the systems pretty well. The other important part is to describe the safety tests involved, and what they mean. Basically, the Big Gun foam test is designed so that if you pass, your guns cannot pierce the average human's skin. Now some people do have thinner skin (especially older folks) and others simply bruise easier, but basically you will never have serious injuries as long as everyone wears their safety glasses and passes the foam test.

I have accidentally shot myself in the past, so I can assure you that the foam test works. It's actually kinda amusing, both times I shot myself, I was actually aiming for my brother's ship. The first time my volley passed UNDERNEATH his ship and curved back up, to hit my leg, groin, and neck. The second time my volley of torpedoes skipped off his deck and hit my neck and chin at a steep upward angle. Both times, no blood no report. Heck, there was hardly even a bruise :)

2. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

klibben,
    wally world = walmart,
    they dont sell bbs here, least not the ones Ive checked, they used to but no longer. ordering online maybe what I resort to or driving to NY which isnt that far from me, or buying some when im out of state and bringing them back with me. still its retarded.

Donanton:
    If I walked into the sheriff's office and told them i recently moved to the state or bought this ship from a friend that lives out of state and it popped into my head that I might need a permit of some sort in NJ to have it and I was just there to find out and try to be a law abiding citizen i highly doubt they would have a problem. they might make you get a permit if they think they are against the law but. as I said before I dont think they classify as guns since they do less damage then paintball guns which i can buy at wally world (walmart) without a permit. which is why ive never worried about it. Ive shot myself at point blank range with them and yeah it doesnt feel good but ive never drawn blood or left a mark that hung around longer than a day, cant say the same for paintball and ive never been shot point blank playing that(dont want to be either).

3. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Paint balls are exempt from that section of the law because they are bigger in diameter than 3/8".

4. SnipeHunter

ohh yeah didnt think about that, hmmm, that sucks

guess that leaves us with talking to the 5-0s

that really sucks, i hate this stupid state.

5. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

How far are you from Pennsy? You could always cruise to your neighboring state...

6. donanton

donanton Member

hey snipehunter, where are you in nj? And did you get that name from ren and stimpy?

7. donanton

donanton Member

That and I can get a copy of the rules from the ircwcc site regardingpellet velocity.

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Don,
    Snipes are sailors in engineering :)

The building for us at Great Lakes was (is?) called "Snipe's Castle"

9. klibben

klibben Member

snipe hunting is a trick you pull on people, telling them you are taking them out hunting for snipes, then consecuently leave them in the woods in the middle of night.

As you can see, there isn't much of a reason to actually hunt them.
    http://www.johnsonmill.com/images/Common%20Snipe%201.jpg

10. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Donanton, the IRCWCC doesn't have a maximum shot velocity, only a max operating pressure. If the sheriff doesn't like the cannons, you can probably apply for an exception. I know the Australians had to do this, as their country defines an "assault weapon" as any projectile weapon that fires more than one projectile with one pull of the trigger. That includes most Big Gun cannons, so they had to apply for a special waiver to play. As long as you describe the necessary precautions and asssure the politicians that nobody will get hurt you should be fine.

Remember that it's more dangerous to drive to and from the battle pond than to actually fight a battle at the pond.

11. SnipeHunter

"snipe hunting is a trick you pull on people, telling them you are taking them out hunting for snipes, then consecuently leave them in the woods in the middle of night."

ahh someone that actually appreciates the nickname

actually snipes are small furry woodland creatures that only come out at night. they are scared of light so you cant take a flashlight hunting with you and you have to use a burlap sack to catch them with. you can attract them with the proper snipe call. or thats how the story goes anyway. [;)]

12. klibben

klibben Member

Glad to see its not just a local trick!

13. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

There is a whole raft of rules here regarding firearms. Too many to go into. Our warships "cannon" are classed as adult toys, along the same lines as paintball "markers" - we try to avoid calling them "guns", it's not a word that politicians or police like to hear.
    BTW, We don't have the common snipe here in Australia, but we do have it's somewhat more aggressive cousin, the dropbear. This creature closely resembles the well known koala bear, but is carnivorous. It hangs from tree brances above walking tracks, and drops onto it's victims (usually american tourists), biting and scratching with razor sharp teeth and claws. Wearing a large brimmed hat with corks suspended around it can confuse the beast and prevent it attacking. Shining a light at one will cause an immediate and vicious attack.

14. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Now that sounds just like what the Michigan Wolverene will do, stay up in a tree, till you walk by, then drop on you. Very nasty creature, in the last 10 years, there has been 1 reported sighting in the lower pen.

15. Tugboat

Hehe David. You can also fend off the fearsome dropbear with a left-handed smokeshifter 8)

16. SnipeHunter

Ive sent many a young scout looing for one of those on camping trips back when I was younger.. or a right handed bacon stretcher, or even a sky hook of which ever hand is convient at the moment. but yeah those smoke shifters are a real life saver, to bad they are so hard to find.

I declare this thread officially hijacked!

17. Tugboat

Take thees thread to Cuba!

18. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Viva Fidel...viva Fidel!!!!
    [xx(]

19. Tugboat

I am among those who think old Fidel has been room-temperature for some months ;)

20. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Maybe he and lenin are in the same walk in cooler in a 1 horse town's 7/11