Howdy from Alaska

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Anvil_x, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

Hi.

Getting back into the hobby after over a decade (Army, college, etc). Ran a Northampton when I was in High School, but didn't have anybody within driving range, so there was a lot of doodling around on ponds by myself.

Looks like it's about the same in AK, but I'm trying to transfer to another gov. job down in WI, so hopefully I'll get to hang out with some of you south of Canada in the next year or so. In the meantime, I'm hoping to use my winter off (Forest Entomologist in the summer, substitute Biology teacher during the winter) to get started on building a new ship. Already emailed RCENGR about one of his Texas lasercut kits. Looking to build wood this time, really didn't like fiberglass and I basically have from now until next may to set my own hours, hunt, and build random stuff in my cabin.

I wouldn't be opposed to other wooden models, just looking for something dreadnought or BC

2. kgaigalas

kgaigalas Well-Known Member

The closest clubs to WI are in Michigan and Minnesota.
    There is nothing like BATTLING :):)
    We are GLAS and they are PORT POLAR BEAR
    Kas

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  3. Anvil_x

Sweet! well I just applied to about a dozen jobs in Wisconsin, so fingers crossed I'll be able to snag one of them. they're in the driftless region, so I'd be the Alaskan equivalent of a hop, skip and jump from the guys in Minnesota

NickMyers likes this.
  4. Anvil_x

So Mark just got back to me, looks like I'll be ordering one of his kits from Strike when I get back to Alaska tomorrow. Pretty stoked, since I'll be finishing up Ent work for the year on friday, and will be cruising on my retirement pension until the new year when I start substitute teaching. There's benefits to living in a cabin with no phone, cable, or internet, but keeping one's hands busy when the nights are 20 hours long is a constant challenge.

5. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

no internet is really going to cramp your build thread

welcome aboard btw!

6. Anvil_x

Thanks,

Don't worry, I'm just a 12 mile bike ride from the library. I'll be running into town a few times a week for supplies, and bringing in my photos will be relatively easy

7. Anvil_x

Just ordered the Texas, plans, and turrets. I'll order the rest of the tomfoolery once I've had a chance to lurk/pick brains. I'll start a build thread once I get everything in and start gluing my fingers together.

If anyone has Texas-specific tips (motors to buy, how to deal with casemates, gun layout, etc.) I would love to have them in the build thread (next week or two should be the kickoff)

8. Anvil_x

Just had an interview with Park Falls Ranger District. Fingers crossed, I may be getting to Lower America by March

Beaver likes this.