Hull Identification help requested

Discussion in 'General' started by Jay Jennings, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I have this hull and am not 100% sure what class it is,
    It is approx 46 inches long, Couldn't find a good tape measure yesterday (still packed) and 5 1/4 inches wide.
    I used the the IRCWCC ship list and narrowed it to a Minotaur Class or a Crown Colony, I am leaning to the Minotaur by looking at the raised deck on the forward half of the hull, I think the CC has a longer raised section.

[​IMG]

Thanks,

J

2. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

3. Boatmeister

Boatmeister Active Member

Almost looks like a Swiftsure. Tom Jass had one years ago

4. Jay Jennings

If this is what I think it is, a MinotaurClass (Swiftsure) it may be one of Bobs. I remember he was talking about doing Minotaur hulls.

5. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Swiftsure/Fiji is my guess, there was someone else in Canada in 2005-2007 range that made Fiji hulls, I still have mine purchased in that time frame, refit last year

Panzer likes this.
  6. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

if the forward hull above the deck break is solid it would perhaps be one of Tom Jass. He came to Nats one year claiming everything above the stern step deck was superstructure.

7. Jay Jennings

KK, I'll check. Thanks,

J

8. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Bet that went well

9. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

It was a great debate!

NickMyers likes this.
  10. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

If it's a fiberglass hull (which I couldn't tell from the photos) it looks like one of the few Steve Hill made and sold.

Steve was a NABS member in Halifax, Nova Scotia and made a mold for the Colony (Uganda/Swiftsure) Class around 2007-2008. The hull is distinctive because of an error in the plug used for the mold - the quarterdeck slopes slightly downward so is about 1/4" too low at the stern.

In the side view of this hull you can see there is less freeboard at the stern than at the break of the forecastle.

I first noticed the error when I completely rebuilt Steve's combat model for him in 2009. (The thread should still be in the Build section.)

Note that Ralph Coles made a more accurate Colony Class hull mold in 2018 and has several hulls in stock.

11. Jay Jennings

Thanks Bob, and Hi, it's Jay.
    This ship has been identified as the HMS Newfoundland, the one that has been kicking around NABS for years and is a Crown Colony(ish) hull (as noted above in Bob's post)

J

12. Bob Pottle

Hi Jay,
    Who was the NABS member who built it? Steve's was always called HMS Ontario. He only launched it once but it had ballast problems and didn't battle. You probably remember me rebuilding it for him before you moved to BC. I think Steve made only 3 hulls from his mold, and believe one was built as non-combat model for a nephew. (I've heard rumors you're back in NS.)

13. Jay Jennings

Well the rumors are true! And my friend Dave (from the sub project) has a Graf Spee Hull and parts so hopefully we can boats combat ready. For some reason I thought John C built the Newf but I am not sure.

14. Bob Pottle

I don't remember the Newfoundland ever battling; JC is the most likely person to have built it. He started several ships that weren't completed and were sold, like the version of the Mogami with no aft turrets and catapults for seaplanes instead.

15. Jay Jennings

I have that one here in my garage, gonna return it to the non-carrier version. :)