Hull modeling in Fusion 360

Discussion in 'Digital Design and Fabrication' started by Kotori87, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Ahoy folks! How do you model a hull in Fusion 360? I have a nice set of plans for the clipper ship Ariel that I'd like to turn into a printable model, but have not been able to make something useable so far.

2. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Maybe Will @bsgkid117 is up for making a tutorial. Here are the basic steps I used to fumble through it, looking up each thing online:
    1. Get the plans into a format compatible with Fusion, correctly scaled or scalable
    2. Import profile, overhead (if desired), hull sections into Fusion, aligned to origin planes. scale to desired dimensions
    3. To make hull sections, I made up a bunch of offset planes at the correct distances
    4. Draw the profile view first, and overhead if you want to use it. Use simple shapes if possible, minimal splines. Make curves tangent at interfaces
    5. Start drawing hull sections. First be sure to use the intersect function to intersect the side view and overhead onto the plane where you're drawing the hull sections. Use the intersect points from the other views as anchor points for the hull sections. Otherwise, lofting won't work. you should be able to copy the hull section plans to each new sketch
    6. Once all hull sections are drawn, start lofting between them. I would start in the middle of the ship and work towards the bow and stern. You can use the overhead and side views as rails
    7. Bow and stern can be a PITA. I probably spent more time getting them to loft compared to the rest of the ship
    8. Once done, you can attempt to shell the whole thing. Sins of the past will come back to bite you if you don't follow the above advice. For the hull I drew up, I had to split the body several times and shell smaller portions, then cut away the 'bulkheads'
    9. Be prepared for a fair amount of frustration. I had to take a few days off between various steps to reset
    Here's the radetzky I drew up, hopefully will spend more time on it soon.

Radetzky Hull Shell v6.png

3. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Go thru advanced surface creation tutorials. There is a lot that you can do to help, like making sure you use the same number and type of sketch entities, e.g. if one section has 2 lines and a 3 point spline, make sure all of them in a single feature do.. doing that will let you make large sections of the hull at once. Other tip... Make the curvy bits, then cut out under casemates, etc. Rather.rhan trying all At once

4. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Thanks! I didn't know you could Intersect several different sketches, and so my lofts kept failing to follow the rails. I hope to make good progress this weekend :)