Hulls and Ships for Sale

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by Bob Pottle, Aug 20, 2008.

1. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Bob, whats the story on my hull, has it shipped yet? Thanks

2. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to you completing the Iron Duke mold. I think that's a ship that really has a lot of potential, especially in the fast gun clubs where she's 26 seconds and shorter then the QE, with only 25 rounds less but an extra turret to spend them in.

3. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

If I read the Ircwcc yahoo group correctly, it was mentioned that Battlers are working on the Iron duke

4. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Hi David,
    Your M.O. arrived today. It'll be Friday before I can cash it because I'm on-call this week and don't get out of the hospital until after the banks have closed. The hull will be shipped Friday evening or Saturday AM.

Bob

5. djranier

Ok, sounds good Bob, not really in a hurry to get it, I just was wondering if you had received the M.O. or not.

This will be the Battlers plug for the Iron Duke if I ever get the time to work on it, I had planned to last night, but made 50 gun barrels instead since I may make it over to Rick's on Sunday if I can squeeze in the time.

Before Nats we made up 70 guns, amd another 20 after Nats, and those are just about gone now, so he wants to get together and make up another batch.

BC thinks the ID will be a good seller, I know that at least 6 or 7 hulls are already spoken for. She has the lowest freeboard of any British ship, casemates, twin rudders, 26 sec speed at just about the shortest hull length allowed, with elevated turrets for the haymakers, I think she will do great. I started making the plug, just to make one for Don, and myself, and when Rick heard about it, he asked me to do it for BC, so I said sure, bad news is I'm already about a month behind schedule on it. Hopefully I can get on it tonight.

6. crzyhawk

Looking at the dimensions, it looks like it might be possible to build Revenge class ships out of the ID with some mods as well. Can someone with more knowledge on British BBs confirm or deny that for me?

7. djranier

Hull is about the same length, but the width is not very close and the casemates on the Revenge are alot farther back from the bow than the ID.

8. crzyhawk

Numbers on the beam are really only terribly dissimilar if you're wanting to build the bulged version of the Revenge. If you build the WW1 version, according to the MWC shiplist, the difference in beam is a foot greater for the ID then the Revenge, which I'd say is close enough for government work.

I personally, wouldn't build the bulged version of an R for a variety of reasons....the primary reason being I have zero interest in sheeting bulges. A secondary reason being IIRC (and I may be mistaken), the bulged version lost their aux rudder, and thus should have less rudder area then the WW1 version.

That being said, for combat, I prefer the ID for a couple of reasons and were I to acquire a hull, would probably build one of that class rather then an R. But man, those R's what what a battleship SHOULD look like! But if the ID hull could be modified to represent an R (filling in the area forward where the casements go in the ID), it would have even more appeal I think...not because the R is any better, but someone might just WANT one.

I've always been a big fan of hulls that can be used to represent multiple different "looks" such as the Colorado and Cleveland hulls from BC which can both be used to represent multiple different ship classes.

9. djranier

With that approach it could be done, you would have to add some additional casemates further aft to the forecastle deck, but doable. And your right the R's are a great looking ship for sure, I like the tandum side by side rudders myself, so it will have to be a ID for me.

10. crzyhawk

I agree with the side by side rudders, I think that's one of the best things about the ID...great weapons placement, shorter then the QE, same speed and rudders. What's not to like?

11. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

I've just confirmed purchase of a Mogami hull. Im only building one Class 3 Axis model so my Graf Spee hull is being sold to John Cofill of the NATCF.

That leaves me with an HMS Furious hull, 2 HMAS/HMS Albatross carrier hulls and 1 Krasni Krim/Profintern CL hull for sale.

I'm trying to decide which battleship hull to sell - I don't need more than one - either HMS Rodney with fiberglass deck, main and secondary turrets and plans or HMS Vanguard with fiberglass deck and plans.

Armoured cruiser HMS Black Prince (Duke of Edinburgh Class) will be for sale in the spring after a refit.

Bob

12. djranier

Well I was going to spray primer on it, but when I opened the can, it had already gelled up, so I will have to get some more and give it another try. The pictures are a bit blurry, I guess its about time to get a new camera, this one is 5 years old or so.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Update, I guess my primer is still good. I just talked to moldcraft, and next Saturday they are going to let me come over, and he will spray the primer on, then I will sand, and he will spray it again, then I will have to buff it to a gloss. So hopefully in about 3 to 4 weeks, ID's will finally be available.

13. crzyhawk

Awesome, that's a great addition to the hobby. I think that they will be very popular ships.

14. djranier

Bob

I received the SA hull today, great job. Let me know when you decide to take on the Finnish Coastal Defence boat, I will get one of those for sure.