Hybrid Cannon

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by GregMcFadden, Apr 30, 2007.

1. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

2. GregMcFadden

Wow, its been a while... well, I have been frantically working on my house (damn, what a time black hole, but it is all good) as well as trying to get some work done on the canister cannons.

Here are some pictures of the twins. I am working on another 3 sets for justin to play with. So far, they feed BB's and 3/16" bearings with just a swap of o-rings. the canisters are 2" diameter and ~2.25 inches tall, before all the stuff starts poking out the top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

DooouuuDD! They look better than I remembered! I'm so excited! They are baaadd ASssS!

---

Two requests:
    Leave the screws on the top long (or at least allow some way for me to) That way I can mount the cannons high, if I want (I probably will)

Tap the bottom center hole so people can easily mount the cannon to the bottom of the ship.

---

What does extending/reducing the flexi-hose do to the "cross talk" / timing? Nothing, right?

4. GregMcFadden

The longer the hose, the longer the time between shots since it takes more gas to fill up that area. The bottom center hole is a smooth 1/8" diameter, so I will probably let folks tap it themselves if they want(as you can drill it out without disassembly for the right size tap) so that if you want to pivot on it, you can. If I had a lathe, I would turn down a threaded rod to have a pivot and a catch so that it would just snap into a receptacle in the bottom of the hull, but as it is, I will leave the mounting to folks.

the bolts are going to be left long on the top.

5. JustinScott

Sounds perfect as far as I'm concerned... I can certainly tap it myself if need be, was just thinking about others.

To clarify my 3rd question, I will use tracer bullets:

If I lengthen the hose, I will have to re-tweak the o-ring right? (I understand that adjusting the hose is a once or twice sort of thing, I'm just trying to understand the way the system will behave)

If so:
    Will "depressing" the barrels (squeezing the tubes dynamically during battle) change the geometry of the system enough to make it hit 'softer' or worse go full 'auto'?

6. webwookie

webwookie Active Member

I have to say that not only am I absolutely impressed, I'd like to try arming a Cleveland class cruiser with a variant of those things some day.

7. GregMcFadden

elevation has no effect unless you kink the tube (which is really hard to do). The tube length is simply a time between shots issue (and not much of one from what I have played with) since it just effectively increases the internal volume of the cannon.

8. JustinScott

Sounds wonderful! :) Can't wait for my copies! :)

9. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Archer,

I am reminded of the ancient Greek belief that what is good, is also beautiful. These guns are beautiful so must be good. Very good.

10. GregMcFadden

and with a little luck and good sourcing, I am hoping that I can sell them for under 80$ per turret (maybe significantly under).

11. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Excellent!

12. rowboat captain

rowboat captain Member

Nice let me know when you are going to put them up for sale.

13. Droidling

Droidling Member

Has there been any progress lately? Do you still plan to sell these?

14. GregMcFadden

we will see. I am working on tooling and other projects right now to keep me from getting burned out on them... If the tooling works well enough... then it will be good.

15. JustinScott

He was totally burnt on them the other day. He called me up and tried to dump the whole thing on me. "I'd give the whole thing to the first person who wanted it"; he said. Of course he didn't mean it, he was just frustrated.