Hybrid Cannon

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by GregMcFadden, Jan 30, 2011.

1. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

All, due to an upcoming great constraint on hobby time, and a firm belief that I need to get other folks looking at these parts, I've decided to put up drawings of the hybrid cannons I've been playing with for the past few years. Feel free to do what you want with the drawings, modify, make, etc.

let me know if you see anything that needs correcting (type-o's, dimensions that you really need, etc) or is unclear. the drawings are at a stage that they can be built if you know what you are doing. read the notes on the first page.

Hopefully someone out there can get something useful from the drawings and the work I put into these. I'm still making a few for a current project but there is no way I will ever make them again for others, just due to lack of time. so I officially "open source" everything I have developed on them, and that is all in the drawings. I am sure they can be improved and I hope that someone out there uses this to make even better cannons than we have now.

the drawing version is as follows:
    • feeds either 3/16 or BB (O-ring change needed to change shot size)
    • rotates
    • elevation control on top of turret
    • needs a few things that are noted on drawings
    • contains turret ring that makes rotation easy
    the file is located here:
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B-hrOyNxHdMPOGRkMDY2NzEtNDQwNi00NTI2LTg3N2MtMzcwMDZkZGQ1Mjdk&hl=en&authkey=CPzz5_QE
    LINK TO PDF FILE

-Greg

2. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Gorgeous cannon, Greg. The elevation design is very innovative and compact. Very nice!

3. GregMcFadden

Thanks. the elevation fits entirely within a Baden turret, coincidentally enough

4. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Absolutely awesome.
    Very nice work Greg.
    Mikey

5. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Are there any detailed photos of a comleted cannon? Did you get to battle one of these?

6. GregMcFadden

I've battled previous variants, this one incorporates the things I learned from the previous variants, with the biggest change being a single feed line to the cannon rather than two smaller feed lines and the rod for elevation control rather than the sphere used on my karlsruhe . this one is going in my baden, which is not done yet.

check out my baden thread for some pictures, I need to get some more recent ones once I get them mounted with rotation enabled.

http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/Forum/tabid/58/aff/566/aft/441268/afv/topic/afpgj/2/Default.aspx

7. treemagnet

treemagnet New Member

Awsome work Greg I have been looking at doing something very similar but your design is farther ahead of mine by just a couple of years :). I have just purchased a taig mill (cnc) and have a compact 5 lathe which I converted to cnc. I would like to machine up one of you cannons and put it in my KGV. looks like you are using Solidworks for your drawings great program I have been using it for the last 10 years. here is a link for my build and were most of my updates will be how ever I will put some updates here

http://ontarioattackforce.multiply.com/photos/album/107/HMS_KING_GEORGE_V

Tom

8. GregMcFadden

I'd love to see others build them. let me know how it goes for you.

-Greg

9. treemagnet

treemagnet New Member

Thanks greg I will start drawing them out tomorrow
    Tom

10. GregMcFadden

I should note that all those parts are made on a taig mill. with a lathe, you will save yourself boatloads of time on the round parts, although I would suggest that you mill/drill the angled holes FIRST and use square stock for the center disk, as that removes the need to make a bunch of fixturing to enable you to zero, if done right

-Greg

11. treemagnet

treemagnet New Member

great thanks for the tip

Tom

12. GregMcFadden

An update is coming soon.... although I do have to warn you about the mcmaster ground 6061 aluminum rod. it may once have been ground, but they are not kind to it. with my last order I will have to use a stone to take out the nicks and other abrasions that will make it bind.

13. WaterSide

WaterSide Member

This is a very nice design. , a quick question how do the barrels stay in place ?
    And has anyone else had the chance to make one of these ?

14. GregMcFadden

Barrels are a press fit. I've been playing with an update to this design of late to make it easier to manufacture (and figure out the details of a 1/4" variant), but I no longer have access to the appropriate tooling, so all I have is the final prototype of this design on the shelf. Life has prevented much toying with them of late, unfortunatly.

15. WaterSide

WaterSide Member

Id love to see it once completed,