Looking For I-400 Hull

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell and Trade' started by modelshipsahoy, Oct 12, 2018.

1. modelshipsahoy

modelshipsahoy Vendor

Looking for I-400 Hull(s). Built or unbuilt.

There are 3 different molds that have produced this model over the past years.

Would like to get one of each as references for our upcoming Surcouf Project.

If you have one and can part ways with it, let us know. Willing to trade a brand new hull of Prinz Eugen; Brooklyn even up or give me a couple bucks I’ll make you an Iowa

Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  2. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

I'm only aware of two I-400 molds, the one Battlers Connection did in the late 1990s and the one I made in 2010 and later sold to Strike. I-400 is nothing like Surcouf, other than also being a submarine. I don't think a Surcouf could be effectively equipped for RC combat unless it was 1/72 scale - at that scale it's a bit bigger than a 1/144 scale I-400.

My I-400 hull was accurate in top view but was deepened with a cad program - I forget how much but by at least 1/2". I did separate molds for the hangar and conning tower, which were quite accurate, in 2002 to replace the semi-scale BC items. Strike has those too. There was concern about hull copying at the time I made the I-400 hull molds so like Ralph Coles still does there were features of the hull that would identify it. (That's the reason the Iowa mold you bought from Ralph has a flattened underside to the stern.)

Imo the biggest problem with subs under IRCWCC rules is that there are no construction rules that take into account the fact that most rc subs have a removable free flooding upper hull and all the 'guts' are in a watertight lower hull. The stringer rules don't allow sub models to be built like that. I proposed a detailed set of sub construction rules in 2003 while building an I-400 from a deepened BC hull but there was no apparent interest in them. I built my I-400 under local rules that allowed a penetrable upper hull with ribs and stringers, and a mostly solid lower hull with fairly large penetrable ballast tanks amidships on either side. Penetrating one tank would at least put the model on its side and penetrating both would sink it. Points could be scored on the penetrable upper hull.

3. modelshipsahoy

modelshipsahoy Vendor

Our Surcouf plans are for a regulation hull with penetrable hull and ballistic shielded guts.

We want a quick copy of the 400 to see if we can find enough similarities to make the mechanical gun and molded ballast tanks fit both models. Will be a while before we build a 400 and would be more expensive to redesign the gun/tanks later.

Our molds will be different then all others.... this will be cut into slices for clearance templates. Not trying to make a copy of what’s been done already.

Our sub kits will be all inclusively engineered with integrated gun; ballast tanks; micro servos and ya da ya da.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  4. ship crazy

ship crazy Active Member

Here is one that I have worked on/off, for some time now

Attached Files:

Jay Jennings and modelshipsahoy like this.
  5. modelshipsahoy

modelshipsahoy Vendor

Looks pretty complete... would be a shame to run it through the bandsaw. How much do you want for it?

6. ship crazy

ship crazy Active Member

Its at sea trial stage. $200.00 shipped in the lower 48. The idea was to just float, so reverse gives you diving down, forward for surface running & shooting. Has motor, steering,cartidge gun system & cheap 72 mhz radio.

modelshipsahoy likes this.
  7. ship crazy

ship crazy Active Member

Its a Bob hull, & reworked so just the top deck comes off.

8. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

I recognized my hangar and conning tower castings but the hull looked different - now I know why.

9. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

How did you modify the upper hull section to have just the deck removable. I was looking into that but figured I would ruin the upper hull structure.
    I would love to see any and all pics of your build, if you could post them I would be very greatfull. I still have my hull and want to make it a working, static and dynamic diver.

J

10. ship crazy

ship crazy Active Member

I joined the hull in the middle, cut the top deck for access. There is one picture posted.

11. ship crazy

ship crazy Active Member

I have a IJN Yamato, I400, Mogami, Akizuki, & Mogami for sale.

12. Jay Jennings

Where is the pic posted?

If this is directed at me, funny story. I have 23ish hulls, including a Yamato, I-400 and 2 Mogamis. :)

13. ship crazy

ship crazy Active Member

Its posted in the for sale I400

14. Jay Jennings

KK, Thanks