I-400, is it legal

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by Rownage, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Rownage

Rownage New Member

General characteristics​

Displacement: 6,560 long tons (6,670 t)
    Length: 122 m (400 ft)
    Beam: 12.0 m (39.4 ft)
    Draft: 7.0 m (23.0 ft)
    Propulsion: 4 diesels: 1,680 kW (2,250 hp) each, surface
    2 electric motors: 1,600 kW (2,100 hp) each, submerged
    Speed: 18.7 kn (34.6 km/h), surfaced
    12 kn (22 km/h), submerged
    Test depth: 100 m (330 ft)
    Complement: 144 officers and men
    Armament: • 3 Aichi M6A1 Seiran sea-planes
    • 8 × 533 mm forward torpedo tubes
    • 1 × 14 cm/40 11th Year Type naval gun[2]
    • 3 × 25 mm 3-barrel machine gun
    • 1 × 25 mm machine gun

As I'm realy fascinated by the I-400, I'd like to know whether it is legal or not, so it'd be grateful if someone could tell me.

2. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

I believe it is legal in all formats but submarines are notoriously hard to build due to hull size constraints.

3. totaldestruction

totaldestruction Active Member

Someone (can't remember name right now) built one but seeing the insides... it was extremely cramped and seemed a total pain to work on, not to mention very sensitive.

4. Rownage

Rownage New Member

Well I love difficult models, so that isn't a problem at all. Oh and Totaldestruction, could you please tell me his name/send a picture when you know who made it again?

5. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

The ones I have seen pictures of were in the WWCC Biggun club in California.

6. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

http://rcnavalcombat.com/Forum/tabid/58/aff/584/aft/442782/afv/topic/afnp/479605/Default.aspx

7. Rownage

Rownage New Member

Thanks, looks awesome! Is it yours?
    I've got 2 questions about (your?) ship:
    1. Why's the gun on the front of the ship? As far as I know the biggest gun was n the back of the submarine
    2. Why am I missing the torpedo guns? the I 400 had 8 torpedotubes.
    Again, thanks everyone for your help and those lovely pictures!

8. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Its not mine, it belongs to Frank F. Of the MWC. Torpedoes arent allowed in MWC. As for the gun placement i dont know.

9. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

What rule set are you most interested in?

10. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Most rule sets are oriented towards surface naval combat, and tolerate subs. Torpedoes aren't guns by the strict definition of such things, and only two rules sets allow them to be used: Big Gun (1/144), and Battlestation (1/96). My friend Frank Falango built a splendid I400 and used it at the MWC Nationals last year. I was the first person shot by it :) But they are very hard to build and not terribly effective in battle. I have an I400 hull myself, so I know exactly how little room is in there for everything that has to go in. Best advice, build a surface ship that you like first and then apply that knowledge under the sea.

11. Rownage

Rownage New Member

Okay, well I'm not sure yet about the rules set I'm going to play, so I'm free to change it. But, as most of you suggest, starting with a non-submarine'd be a better idea. What about the Yamato or the Bismarck?

12. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Yamato is pretty. Bismarck is pretty. Both are quite a handful for a new Captain to maintain. But I am a firm proponent of building whatever I please, so if you really like either one, get some plans and start building :) Both of those ships have a very good reference in the form of the 'Anatomy of the Ship: Yamato' or the same series book on Bismarck. I have both books and they have all the plans one would need, although some scaling is necessary.

13. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

While I would agree with Tugboats' mantra of 'build what you like', before you set your heart on a battlewagon, make sure you consider whether or not you have the room to store it, work on it, space in a vehicle to transport it and the oomph to carry it around / in / out of the water.

14. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

As a fellow new guy, my advice is to really think about the rule set you're interested in. It will effect how you build your ship, and might even change your ship choice. If everyone within 200 miles is playing 1/144th fast gun and you build a 1/96 Battlestations ship...well you are going to have to travel that much farther for battles. Same principle for fast gun vs big gun vs treaty etc.

15. Rownage

Rownage New Member

Well, unfortunately, I don't even know if there are ANY clubs in the Netherlands. But my dad's also interested in this, and I know some people here who I also may get motivated to start, so I think that the rule set'll realy depend on the one I want. Could you give me a quick summary of the differences between the rulepacks?

16. NickMyers

The quick&dirty version:

The Fast-Gun Sets: - fast gun boats have a set number of units they may use for guns or pumps, and fixed maximum speeds according to a table mostly derived from class and era. FastGun ships usually ahve unlimited rate of fire, but rule-specified magazine capacity.
    IRCWCC & MWC -- are very close to the same rule package, minor differences in unit allocation and a few misc rules
    Treaty -- a variation on fast-gun, Treaty ships have a limited rate of fire and pumping restrictions are measured by volume over time rather than use of an output restrictor.

Fastgun cannosn are generally fixed location.

Big-Gun: There are numerous big-gun clubs each seem to have slightly different rules, but the general gist is: 'Arm anything you can over 5" in original diameter', several sizes of projectiles ranging from the .177 bbs that fastgun uses to 1/4" ball bearings. Big Gun has rate of fire limitations and generally ship speeds are based on history ship trial speeds.

BigGun cannons may be fixed location, however it is very common for the main batter yto rotate and elevate. The entry cost to biggun is steeper due to the cost of cannon.

I'm glossing over a few things here and may be downright forgetting some major points, esp in regards to the IRCWCC vs MWC vs Treaty rules.

One of the first things you're going to want to do is find out if a co2 powered bb cannon is even remotely close to being legal in your country without special permits.

17. Rownage

Rownage New Member

Thanks for the summary. After some research, I found out that all BB guns that don't look like 'real weapons' are allowed as long as you haven't been in jail.

Also, after asking some people whether tey'd be interested in this, I found out I'd be able to gather at least 10 captains. As for the rule set, Big Gun attracts me the most, as I'm not realy a fan of MG-like war machines, and because I love torpedoes(or at least something that's pretending to be a torpedo). Finally, I'd realy like to know which types of ships excel at Big Gun.

18. Rownage

Rownage New Member

What's your oppinion about the Leipzig Klasse?

19. NickMyers

A few things to note:

If you go big-gun, fabricating guns would be one of your biggest challenges and costs. Here in the US, when theyre available, I think they start at $150 per turret, but I haven't seen a set advertised for sale for a while. Most groups are now making theirs in house or cannibalizing them from older ships I think.

Understand that when we say torpedos, generally we are referring to firing either a rod or (1 or 2) 1/4" ball bearings out of a downangled, fixed position, cannon at close range. As best I know, no one has managed a viable, self propelled torpedo that can impact iwth sufficient force in 1/144 yet.

Last: There is no reason you cannot adapt one of the current rulesets. Treaty was created in part because the founders wanted to retain the lower cost of fast-gun ships but also wanted the more scale speed and restricted rate of fire elements of big-gun. Since you are isolated from us, there is no real problem for you to cherry-pick the parts of the rulesets. Figure out who your most 'on board' friends are, and explore the options with them.

20. Rownage

Rownage New Member

Yes, I already knew that torpedoes're not self propelled, or realy look like real torpedos. Anyways, thanks again for your help. Like you say, I'll spend some time with my friends looking at and adjusting rulepacks. But, what's your oppinion on the Leipzig Klasse in Big Gun?