I-400 Project

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by Bob Pottle, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Nothing's been done on the I-400 plugs in the last 3 weeks. The bow catapult Dave made from basswood was too short in height (though the right width) so I didn't install it on the upper hull plug. I might be able to beef it up by adding a layer of styrene on top but will also have to sheath the sides, which will make it a bit wide. Better too big than too small I think.
    I've had no spare time recently for the sub or any other R/C combat project. We spent the Victoria Day long weekend (last weekend) in NB removing a couple of tons of spring flood debris from the cottage grounds (there's still lots left to remove) and replacing multiple burst water pipes inside. At home the chores list isn't getting much shorter and I'm on-call for the hospital for the next week. I think I should turn over the flange making and installation on the upper and lower hull plugs to the other team members. If that can be finished next week we should be able to make the molds when I get off-call.
    I left a message on Steve Hill''s cell phone lst night asking if he could pick up the hull plugs this weekend and make the flanges.
    Bob

2. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Bob, what time do you go out tonight? We are going to Steve's tonight, he was busy last night. We may be able to arrange a meeting and I can take the plug to Steve's, we may get something done this week. We are on our way out shortly, but if you give me a call the phone will be forwarded.
    J

3. Bob Pottle

Jay,
    Missed your message as I didn't get back on the computer until late last night. I'm working on the catapult; sheathed it in styrene last night after revising the shape of the wooden original. I need to add another layer of styrene on the top to bring it to the correct height and should have it installed this evening. Will try to make and install the upper hull molding flange too, though am on call and likely to be interrupted often.
    Bob

4. Bob Pottle

The bow catapult is finished and installed on the upper hull plug but I didn't have time to make the molding flanges this weekend. I spoke to Jay and the plan is to meet at Steve Hill's Wednesday and do the flanges. Those will be tricky to make due to the rather complicated hull shape along the midline. However, once they're made, installed and waxed we can finish the molds in 4-6 days of 2 hours work per day.
    Bob

5. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Bob
    If this works, do you anticipate trying another sub hull in the future?
    Mikey

6. Bob Pottle

No Mikey. The I-400 is the only 1/144 sub large enough to possibly work as a diving and shooting combat model. A few others might work as armed surface runners but I'm not interested in making another sub hull.
    Bob

7. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Pity. I've always longed for a Surcouf.

8. Jay Jennings

There might be a Surcouf available here in town, I can check if you'ld like. But like Bob says it is smaller than the I-400 and wouldn't work as a combat model with our current ideas for construction.
    J

9. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Sure, go ahead and check for me.

10. Bob Pottle

Ralph Coles has had a mold for the Surcouf for years. I started to build one but quickly realized it would be impossible to make it dive and shoot, and would be barely possible to make it into a surface running combatant. I sold it a few months ago after warning the buyer it would be a very difficult model to build.
    I remember seeing a photo of one of Ralph's Surcouf hulls made into a surface runner but the report was that it wasn't a success, though it was able to shoot.
    Bob

11. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Whats the word on the I-400 Bob, will you still be able to make me one?

12. Bob Pottle

Hi David,
    See my post on the I-400 uild thread. I'll make you an I-400 but it'll be weeks before the molds are made, unless someone else on the team has time to make the molding flanges. I ran out of spare time after spending many hours more than expected to get the plugs right. With the arrival of warm weather the honey do list suddenly mushroomed and I think the other guys are in the same situation. It's been weeks since we last got together but I think there's a meeting tomorrow night.
    Bob

13. Bob Pottle

I-400/Tone Team,
    Please confirm if we're meeting tonight at Steve's.
    Bob

14. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Any more pictures of the mold?

15. Jay Jennings

Sorry Bob, didn't get this post until now. I am flying to Ottawa tomorrow am and was not able to make it. I misread one of your previous posts and thought you were busy tonight. When I get back on the weekend, I will try to confirm a solid day (WED?) when we can all get together.
    J

16. Bob Pottle

Sounds good to me Jay. I'm away again this weekend to lay a new bathroom floor and cart away more flood debris at the cottage. I hope to get the molding flanges on the upper hull plug and superstructure plug by Wednesday and will bring the lower hull plug to Steve's. My plan is to leave that plug for someone else to make flanges for, then take molds from the other two plugs over the next week.
    Bob