I-400 Stuff

Discussion in '1/96 Battlestations' started by Tugboat, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Mark

Mark Active Member

that was one of the pumps I was looking at, its also one of the cheapest ones, some of the watson marlow pumps are $$$ triple figure:( I need to find out more on the tech for the slim line, ie... max operating pressure, and size of the unit.

2. Mark

Mark Active Member

I can't believe that I just found this supplier of hobby wood. National Balsa Co. they make everything one would need to build ships plus they're so much cheaper than mid west or anyone else for that matter. the worst thing is, is that they're located 40min. away from where I live. they ship everywhere and their web site is, http://www.nationalbalsa.com for any who are interested. (this might be helpful since Lone Star Balsa is out of commission due to a fire)

3. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Mark,

Thanks a bunch for the tip. I had not heard of this place before, and I didn't know about the fire at Lone Star.

Carl

4. Mark

Mark Active Member

well, all the wood I need to build the I-400 will be here tomorrow at some point so if all goes to plan I'll have all the ribs, stringers, keels and deck cut by this weekend. I'll post pics of the progress and use the Yamato hull for a scale reference in the background.

5. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Mark,

I forgot to ask: are you doing a one-off hull, or making a plug and mold to reproduce these hulls?

Thanks,

Carl

6. Mark

Mark Active Member

I'll be the first to admit that I'm no good with fiberglass and I've never made a fiberglass boat, so that said it's going to be a "one-off" wooden hull. however, after the frames are finished with all the cut-outs made, I'm going to scan them all in to the computer and make photo copies also as a back up. I'll probably send them to Tug via e-mail so he can put them in the free plan section.

7. Mark

Mark Active Member

Added some pics of the subs progress

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Nice work :) What are the brass tubes for, and what are your plans for that center section between the solid frames?

I will be posting some pics tonight of the secondaries for your Yammer (even though you're doing a Shinano, which will be a BEAST! How many 1/4" cannon do you get for aircraft? (I forget how many she was supposed to carry) It will be my goal to NOT get ahead or astern of it! Or, to look at it differently, Woe unto those who would cross your T!

9. Mark

Mark Active Member

the brass tubes in the bow are where the TT guns will go. The tubes that run between the solid frames near the bilge keels are to run battery wires and servo wires through the MBT. the center section is the main ballast tank where the CO2 bottle is stored (if you look at the top of the frames you can see a built in cradle for the bottle, locking straps to be added later)

10. Tugboat

Ahhh.... that explains it! I'd been doing some calculating on ballast tank volume requirements, but hadn't thought of stashing the bottle inside it. Are you using a 3.5oz bottle? And how does it get in/out? Now that you've mentioned it, I realize that I hadn't thought about how I'd do that on a sub if I built one...

11. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

If we use the 1 gun for 10 planes rule the Shinano would have 4.
    She was planned to be used more as a replenishment ship and had a very small airgroup.

12. Mark

Mark Active Member

the bottom in that area is removable, and the bottle is a 9oz. I wanted to make sure I had enough gas to operate the tt, deck gun, and balast tank (enough gas to fill the MBT 4-5 times during a battle before refueling.

13. Mark

Mark Active Member

just realized that if done correctly when the frames are cut out for the Iowa there'll be enough scrap wood to build 2 more I-400:) and when I cut the new frames for the "new and improved" Yamato, I'll be able to build a destroyer or two.

14. Mark

Mark Active Member

the 400 is moving along nicely, will post some pics after the web site move. hull planking complete, deck cut (will add hatches soon), MBT area near completion, starting to mount servos and control surfaces. weapon systems will be added later. SS will house all electronic goodies.

15. Mark

Mark Active Member

hey, I just made captain:)

16. Tugboat

Rock the house!

Totally unrelated note, I figured out why my casting has been crappified the last several attempts... The Smooth-On 321 has been exposed to air for too long! They really mean it when they say it doesn't last long! I ordered more along with some foam for casting superstructures, in smaller bottles this time.

17. Mark

Mark Active Member

that mean the turrets not too far off?

18. Tugboat

That is correct. I need to get your stuff and Carls stuff done so I can play on my own projects.

19. Mark

Mark Active Member

just added some more pics of the I-400

20. Tugboat

She's a big girl! I wonder if a Surcouf would be fun against her?