I-400

Discussion in 'General' started by cosworth, Mar 24, 2007.

1. cosworth

cosworth Member

Hi guys, I am in australia and am thinking about building a sub but need a bit of help. I want to do I-400 and would appreciate any help ie can a ready made hull be purchased or a set of plans maybe...

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

I have seen a fiberglass version of the I-400, in fact there is a photo of a sub made from the hull:
    http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/rcnavalcombat/PhotoGallery/default.aspx?Image=27

The guy who makes them can be contacted on the Yahoo Big Gun discussion group:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BigGunsModelWarship/

It is a top-quality hull, super-thick in the rib sections, lighter (but still nice and sturdy) in the keel and includes a molded-in subdeck. I think it includes plans as well. I would recommend getting several, because your second submarine will be infinitely superior to your first, no matter how good the first one comes out.

The particular model in the photo saved my butt by taking a torpedo hit in my place. Unfortunately I didn't get any photos of it sinking :( It is that particular captain's second submarine, and the third armed and diving submarine to fight in my club. When I finally get around to building a sub, I would like to use that hull.

3. cosworth

cosworth Member

thankyou for your reply. I think you may have seen my battleship in the best of the best It finished at no.15

4. klibben

klibben Member

Bob Pottle has a mold, not sure if thats who Kotori was talking about or not - his email is on the IRCWCC website.

5. klibben

klibben Member

now that i think about it i should add that his mold is 1/144. he probably has plans he can copy for it as well.

6. cosworth

cosworth Member

thankyou for your reply. I should tell everyone that I am the CO of the local battle group and currently battle Uss North Carolina and have 2 merchant ships. currently under construction FNS Richeleu (90% complete) all of these ships can be seen somewhere on our website Ausbg.org If anyone can help with a mould and plans it would be much appreciated
    Regards Tony Scott

7. klibben

klibben Member

Tony, forgive me for my ignorance but what scale? 1/72, 1/96, or 1/144? if i recall its one of the first two...

8. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Ausbg sails 1:144

9. cosworth

cosworth Member

so correct . It is in fact 1:144

10. klibben

klibben Member

ah, well that works out just dandy! Bob Pottle can be reached at: kap.rap@ns.sympatico.ca
    I actually have been emailing him about it before i heard you were interested, i was considering making a convoy out of her.