I need help choosing batteries for my Baden

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by JBJjustJB, Jul 7, 2020.

1. JBJjustJB

JBJjustJB New Member

I will be running 2 T12s off a BC gear box. I also have BC mb and a BC pump. Any help would be appreciated.

2. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Not sure what you mean by T12, I'm assuming you mean a 12 turn brushed motor? Regardless, I'd recommend a Zippy LiPO pack, either in 2S or 3S 8000AH. Would probably only need 1 per sortie, but that boat could easily fit 2 and not have to change batteries until lunchtime.

3. JBJjustJB

JBJjustJB New Member

Thanks for the help Will what voltage should I be looking for 7.4 or 11.1 20200707_150314.jpg

4. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

I'm running 2 5200mah 3s Lipos in my Baden, with a 550 brushed motor for both pump and drive. I have yet to have it out in combat, but I did use the same battery combination in a battlecruiser and was fine there as well, that was 2 drive motors and the same pump.

5. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

Either would work, the Titans should survive at 11.1v as drive motors but you'll need to make sure your pump motor will survive that voltage.

11.1v in my opinion is the way to go, more watt hours in the boat, and it's a better voltage to settle on for a standardized battery to use in a number of boats.

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  6. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

I always try to standardize on what people I battle with are using. Then things are easily shared if there is a breakdown. If your the only person using 11v you can’t be helped by others. Most people run 6v some are at 7.4v not many run higher than that.

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  7. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

I would definitely not say that most people run 6 volt. Maybe 10 years ago.

Most new builds that I've seen are running closer to 12-volt some even more. There's no reason to run 6v batteries with modern electronics.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  8. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

There are some still clinging to 6v. I wouldn't, unless someone gave me a free 6v ship with modern electronics that was combat effective, then I'd run it lol. But that would also have to include the batteries as well.

I couldn't see building a new ship with a 6v system.

9. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

My ships are all 6v but could just as easily be 12v with a simple rework of the distribution buss. I run 4 3.2v bricks in series/parallel for 6.4v nominal. And can go all day and then some without charging or changing batteries.

10. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

I’ll have to look around more at Nats this year. I have not noticed a change, but maybe I am not looking for new tech as much as I did in the past. Since I have 55 6v 10a NIMH packs that are still good I’ll stay with them for a while.

Panzer and rcaircraftnut like this.