Ideas for bringing more people to the forum?

Discussion in 'Website Suggestions' started by JustinScott, Feb 13, 2007.

1. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

I want everyone for your support so far, it has been wonderful.

I pose the question, how do we get more people on here to talk to? How do we pull more people onto the forum? How do we get the people who are already here to be more talkative?

2. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

I put it on our home page as our forum it links to the local clubs, New England task force

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I'd thought about a contest that you have to sign up and be active to enter, but I couldn't think of a good standard for 'active', that would also exclude people just jumping on and typing short messages to get in a certain number.

4. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

I think you need to try to get some of the old timers like Marty on here too

5. Powder Monkey

Marty is a real person I thought he was just a legend [:D]

6. JustinScott

I think we've done quite well as "word of mouth only" so far. But you are right... it would be nice to get some real pull.

One problem we have is "old timers" tend not to want to learn new things... They stay with "what works"; and this forum is different than the mailing lists.

7. Powder Monkey

It’s OK if they don't want to learn No skin off my nose and not all old timers refuse to learn my local “old timer” is always trying to pick up new tricks however I wouldn't mind picking their brains I love to combined other peoples ideas together along with my own thoughts and see what happens there knowledge is what will help us rookies from getting lost and discouraged hence the sport Grows [:D]

8. JustinScott

I totally agree. Any ideas on how to bring more on to the boards?

I guess I can send out a advert to the mailing lists.

If we all reference forum links in the mailing lists more often, people will start getting acclimated to the forum being a good thing.

9. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

In the past I have always heard more requests for "How-to" articles. This forum is already awesome in that regard. As for old-timers not wanting to do anything new, they will eventually as everyone else around them adapts to new tech. One hesitation is the failure rate of new stuff as we find the learning curve. Some would rather wait a few years and see how stuff works out before adopting it themselves.
    I myself am interested in new solenoids that cost a lot less then Kips. Also other ways to "bullet-proof" my ship so I have the maximum amount of fun on the water.

10. klibben

klibben Member

Just keep talking about it. I mention the site at least once at every meet we have, although most of the BBS is already on the forums.

11. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Whenever I'm answering questions on my YouTube videos, I try to point people here. I can't link directly due to YouTube's anti-spam filters, but I always suggest that they "do a google search for RC Naval Combat". I only wish I knew how many people have successfully found the forum because of my comments...

12. JustinScott

Your vids are probably the #1 thing that are bringing people into the hobby (and to this site).. I thank you for that.

13. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

I have to agree on the videos generating a lot of interest in the hobby, possibly one of the biggest since you tube has grown to what it is now. If everyone keeps posting videos like they have been, and as Kotori said, mention RCnavalcombat.com in the post or comments, popularity and interest will continue to grow.

How about the possibility of offering RC Naval combat vehicle window stickers for purchase (without the infamous "pee on" kid!!)?? Would a short run of something like that be too cost prohibative??

14. JustinScott

Hmmm... Not sure. I could look in to it. Would anyone be interested?

15. klibben

klibben Member

Not that I don't think it's a good idea, but I wont be putting one on my car... but then again, the only stickers I allow on my car are parking permits and one college sticker.... so to each his own!

16. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I'm not sure I'd put one on my car (same reason as the above poster) but I might be interested in some to adhere to other locations.

17. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

How about sending out regular reminders? Remind people that the forums are here. Include brief summaries that list the current topics under discussion. You do collect e-mail lists, don't you?

JM