IJN Mutsu - The Beast from the East

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by McSpuds, Nov 19, 2011.

1. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

RE: IJN Mutsu 10yr build project
    Stokamoto, go back to the first few pics on the thread you will see the hull deck being made...

2. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

RE: IJN Mutsu 10yr build project Thanks. I remember doing my decks like that too. Boy been a long time. I like how you cut out your decks. What kind of tool are you using to get the recessed area for the hatches to sit on . I think I wll have to scrap my decking and make an entirely new deck system like yours. I like your approac to the stuffing tube and rudder alignment set up. Ok I like the entire build process here. Is the pump connected to the ESC? I see there is a ESC for each motor? Learning all I can from this thread for my Nagato build.

3. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Deck building the Spudsy way.....

I use examples from both my Mutsu and the Baden here....

First I lay down a sheet of 1/4" thick sheet of plywood and trace the "INSIDE" outline of the hull onto the plywood.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then I cut the pattern out and fine tune the fit by sanding the edges where needed. After I am done the piece of wood will fit snugly into the hull top.
    Be sure to use spacers or braces inside hull to keep the original beam width as most glass huls will bend inwards

[​IMG]
    You can see here where the plywood is fitting just inside the hull.[​IMG]
    Now here is the step tp plan the access panels..... I make sure to have room for all my batteries to fit into the hull plus any other large things like the CO2. I also mark off all the turret barbett and other areas that need to remain solid like bracesw ect... I use a compass and mark along the edge a new mark that is as wide as I want the edge to be. I normally use 5/8" here. Once the new line is traced I can then cut out the panel access. This leaves a nice 1/4" "subdeck" that fits into the hull.
    You can see the access areas here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now I glue the peice into the hull. Yes INTO, the hull... it is a 1/4" thick, so that leaves me with 1/8" more thickness (I will explain later how to use that 1/8")
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here you can see where it fit into the hull.... I dont have many pics of this process for the Mutsu but I think the Baden refit shows the same process... I will check.

[​IMG]
    Now I take the hull and once again lay it upside down on a new 1/8" piece of plywood that will acctualy be the top deck. I have no photos of this step but it is the close to the first step... I mark the "OUTSIDE" edge of the hull this time, and then I carefully mark the cutout areas on the inside. The access areas that I cut out of the subdeck!
    Once that is done, I can now go back with my compass and trace the lines of the cutout access areas leaving a lip for the "Deck Lids" to sit on... I use 1/4" or 1/8" depending on the ship....

When I cut these acesss/deck lids out of the "top plate" I use a fine blade, cut through the top deck lid in one place so I can use these cutouts as the removeable decks...
    here you see the top plate sitting on the subdeck and you see the 1/8" lip I made witht he compass.
    [​IMG]

Once the top plate has the removeable decks cout out, I then glue the top plate onto the hull. Be carefull to place the deck back onto the hull exactly as you traced it! This way your pieces you cut out will fit nicely with just a little sanding...

I will make another thread with some good pics explaining this process better later on. I hope this helps some... Basicly what I do is make to decks, 1- subdeck, and 1- topdeck. I cut out areas in the subdeck that I want removed... I then glue it into the hull. I then mark the topdeck and cut the openings just a little larger than the trace lines... this leaves a nice shelf for the decks to sit on... You can also adjust this subdeck so you can use all kinds of different hold down methods..
    Here is a drawing I just did for ya...
    [​IMG]

4. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

RE: IJN Mutsu 10yr build project Thank you for that wonderul explaination. Perfect. Looking forward to seeing the tool used and how you used it but this is very very helpful. I have a Nelson, Pow and a Dunkerkue and Tirpitz that is going to be needing this kind of setup here. Thank you again!

5. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

[​IMG]

6. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

RE: IJN Mutsu 10yr build project Geez I walked into that one didn't I ...doh! Thanks for the visual. I do need this tool .

7. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

[​IMG]:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

8. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

RE: IJN Mutsu 10yr build project I must say , Mcspuds, your build is beautiful! Now I'm just wondering, how do you trace the inside of your hull for your sub-deck?

Beaver

9. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

What he does is lay the hull upside down on the subdeck material w/out any sheeting, but after windows are cut out. Then you take a really sharp (small point) pencil and trace through the window cutouts. :D

10. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

RE: IJN Mutsu 10yr build project Ahh, I see! I'm not sure if I would be able to do something like that, because I don't think my hand would fit. :)

Beaver

11. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

RE: IJN Mutsu 10yr build project I remember how hard it was to get all the poles in place on the Nagato structure. I thought I would never have to do that again. Well now that I have my own I guess I will have to face that devil again.

12. jch72

jch72 Active Member

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    RE: IJN Mutsu 10yr build project I kind of cheated putting the masts in my superstructure. I did the central mast first, secured all the decks to it, then used a spare tube to drill the holes for the other six masts through the stack of decks at something approaching the correct angle.

Ron Hunt

13. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

LOL, I WILL NEVER BUILD A NAGATO PAGODA EVER AGAIN!

That was such a pain in my butt! I actuall put off building the pagoda a year because I did not look forward to it!

She is almost done now,,,:laugh:

14. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

RE: IJN Mutsu 10yr build project Hey Ron I used the same approach with a Nagato I built for fellow Nabs member.

15. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

I am cleaning up the wiring on the Mutsu and made a short video of her new rotate system.. The barrel rides over Anton turret and forces ther gun to elevate till it passes the turret, then back down again. I need to add a 1/4" strip of brass as a skid across the turret to make the transition a liitle smoother, but it works great!
    www.youtube.com/watch

A must see for those wanting a rotate... :woot:

16. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

I was not happy with the top two levels of the pagoda so they have been rebuilt. I also did some more detail on her this week... All thats left is adding a few more deck supports underneath, and some small gun control turrets/fire control. A little detail work before I paint the darn thing. I think I will fill in those ugly holes in the firecontrol arms.. ugh!

[​IMG]

For a larger view click here!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

RE: IJN Mutsu 10yr build project Thank yoU for the great close ups of the details on the pagoda tower. I really appreciate those kinds of shots. They help for referencing when building. These pics will help when I get to my Nagato and begin buliding it.

18. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

I have spotted a couple very small errors, but in our scale and hobby they are very minimal, and those who do not know it will never see it...

I definatly dont like those firecontrol scopes.. they are getting scrapped!

I would cut off my $%&& before building another Nagato Pagoda... :woot: Man it sucked... but I only had my books and things for reference. I had no real close up shots of anybody elses builds to compare to, so that made it hard. I will continue with the close ups, and once finished I will post up detail shots from bow to stern and also the running gear, guns ect... that way somebody will have a complete reference to look at up close.

It's not perfect.. but it will be close to scale throughout.

19. Hovey

Hovey Admiral (Supporter)

RE: IJN Mutsu 10yr build project That looks like a lot of work, but very nicely done!!!

20. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

My new LifePo4s are due in today... yeah :woot:

Now that I have a new bottle/regulator and different batteries, I am going to "Rip out" the old water channel and re-install it to fit the new components.

Ugh I hate sanding!