IJN Nagara class

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by ish311, Jun 6, 2016.

1. ish311

ish311 Active Member

While waiting on parts for kongo and not wanting to do a full redesign on the shimakaze yet i have started in on a Nagara class using some Kuma class plans lengthened by 1mm to get to a Nagara.

KUMA HALF CUT.png KUMA HULL MK3.png

and i have to redo the whole thing..... somewhere my forward section got tilted 3degrees off center and the aft is 2-4mm high depending on where i measure. but hey only about 6 hours of farting around with cad.

Regardless I plan on modeling in the subsets to make the deck held down with magnets and tape to seal. planning on also modeling in the drive as a drop in sections. guns will be modified in depending on how much room and where i can place it after printing. .

Panzer likes this.
  2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

really?

3. ish311

ish311 Active Member

10-40 feet depending on which ship to which ship. but the where kuma class hulls with different torps. that is about it

4. GeekSpeed

GeekSpeed Active Member

I have one that I started scratch building. I am going to have to redo it because the shape of the hull is VERY sensitive to weight distribution. You have to get it just right or it floats on it's side.

5. ish311

ish311 Active Member

going to have it so there is a groove in the bottom of the keel wide enough to put some lead but not much. few extra grams. keeping the topside printed and thin will help the top weight as well. shimakaze at 6" shorter in 1/144 completed was about 2.6 pounds with all parts and a double spurt. think the hull weighed under .5 pounds.

6. ish311

ish311 Active Member

restarted with much much better plans. ones that the water line and the side view don't change dimensions over 15mm

autocad issues preventing me from getting screenshots like i would like.

7. ish311

ish311 Active Member

restarted again and might as well document what i'm doing this time.
    nagara 2d start.png
    redesigning my 2d layout to get things done spending less time in the 3d environment. autocad doesn't like super complicated small models.

8. ish311

ish311 Active Member

nagara half finished.png
    just need to model the stern in now and find where i have to split for printing and add supports across the cuts
    nagara nose.png
    first time i got the nose that smooth and that close to the 1" limit 1" due to issues in penetrability% if i take the 2"

9. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Looks good, Ish. Nice design work there.

10. ish311

ish311 Active Member

nagara aft.png
    aft got truncated about 3/8 due to a measurement being off somewhere. total length is good but something is off in rib 1-2.
    nagara aft2.png
    whole boat is sectioned 5 prints at 230mm long or so each just need to model in the stuffing tubes and a motor mount and then wait for prusia to catch up and ship my printer. probably start akashi up then

Beaver likes this.
  11. ish311

ish311 Active Member

nagara aft v1.png
    stretched whole model 3/8 in z axis for stability issues. modeled in stuffing tubes but will probably have to cut in the next sections tubes as autocad keeps crashing

annnd i put the step in the wrong place. so cutting that out and putting it back it it looks like

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
  12. ish311

ish311 Active Member

and first test print is out and last 2 parts of the aft starting tommorow.
    IMG_0712.JPG

and step is in the right place for the isuzu in the nagara class.... yay plans from to many sources

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Beaver likes this.
  13. ish311

ish311 Active Member

IMG_0718.JPG
    still having a slight first layer issue with my prints on this low warp abs that im playing with. will rebuild the stuffing tube holders after i actually build some tubes to go in there.

Beaver likes this.
  14. ish311

ish311 Active Member

IMG_0721.JPG
    some reason every slicer i have puts that perforation on the infill in the aft so i'm just gonna fill it in

IMG_0720.JPG
    gorrilla glued some 4043 aluminum welding rods to the spars as a test after cracking one on a 3 foot drop. droped it 6 feet after and no crack also wacked it with some pliers and didn't crack it but same force broke the ribs on my shimakaze which got some destructive testing done today.

IMG_0719.JPG
    pre-modeled supports came out weird due to my z-axis enlargements but still work well enough

15. ish311

ish311 Active Member

IMG_0727.JPG
    that 9.52mm (3/8) extension is making for a very deep destroyer....

NickMyers likes this.
  16. NickMyers

Looks pretty cool, I like the reinforcing rod idea.

could be a mesh error. Might try running it through netfabb to fix and then look at the re-slice.

17. ish311

ish311 Active Member

netfabb actually introduced that error but removed a layer de-lamination so i kinda gave up on it. easy post process fix vs complete failure.

NickMyers likes this.
  18. NickMyers

Interesting

19. ish311

ish311 Active Member

ok e6000 works better than gorilla glue on abs and aluminum. no new pictures for today but should have the back 1/2 assembled tomorrow barring printer failure.

20. ish311

ish311 Active Member

aft got distorted so reprinting that. but that did allow for some more destructive testing. the 4043 1/16" rod i used did not deform or detach, crack, or mar from whacking the crap outa it with pliers. only cracked after 3 inches of inward deflection and only after the white gorilla glue separated. so 1/16th 4043 aluminum rods are not going into my printed hulls as backers.