IJN Tone

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by Gettysburg114th, Jun 8, 2008.

1. ProfessorChaos

ProfessorChaos Active Member

Bite your tongue. There is noting afloat as pretty as a Japanese cruiser. Everything else looks like a garbage scow in comparison.

2. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

I think they were given the extra .5 unit for playability. The US had the large 3.5 cruisers so it was felt that the Axis had to be given something???

3. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

That's because "floating" and "Japanese cruiser" are an oxymoron.

Bob, are you going to be molding the 5"/40's for your Yamato? I will need to get some for the Tone.

4. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

I don't think either had 5"/40's. The Yamato used the 6"/50' removed from the Mogami class, when they were upgraded to 8". But I could be wrong, I will have to look it up.

5. crzyhawk

The Tone's main battery was indeed 8". The Yamato did use the 6.1 inch from the Mogamis as a secondary SP battery. I was referring to the 5"/40 cal heavy AA guns. Yamato had a bunch, and Tone had 4 twin mounts. That said, the 6.1" guns on Yamato can also be easily modified to represent the E3 8" mount used by the Tone as a main battery, so I will need some of those too!

6. Gettysburg114th

Yes Mike I will be. I am working in making the masters out of wood at this time. I can always mold extra. I am also going to be molding many other parts for Japanese ships. Just have to make the masters. By the way, Pam cooking spray is a great mold release. :)

7. crzyhawk

Awesome Bob. I'm getting more and more excited about doing the Tone. It may not be the best ship on the water, but it should probably remain fairly unique, since it can't do anything another IJN cruiser can't do better.

Do you know if that plans source you told me about in Japan has Tone plans? I'm currently copying out the drawings (hull forms/ribs, bridge details etc) from my Japanese cruiser book but there is no substitute for real plans.

8. Gettysburg114th

Mike,
    Yes they do. Go to the link on the Yahoo site. You are right, the Tone is very unique and that is how I plan to go about sinking it.
    Unique up on it. :)

9. crzyhawk

Very funny Bob, you forgot one minor detail though. We don't play in the IRCWCC anymore and your 27 knot battleships can't even think about catching my 35 knot cruiser. You gotta catch me to kill me. Cruisers aren't cannon fodder under our rules :)

10. Gettysburg114th

Very good point Mike. I go tonight to place rocks just under the waters surface. (Mikey will know what that means.) While I'm down there I'll do something with the moss. ;)
    When I get the Suzuya done that might be a fun battle. Just have to remember where I put the rocks......

11. Gettysburg114th

Mike, we need to find some of the foam that Swampy used for superstructer on the cruisers. Nice and light and easy to work with. I have no idea where he got the stuff.

12. ProfessorChaos

ProfessorChaos Active Member

Nope there is no Takao exception in the rules unless ircwcc or treaty added one recently. The ship list has just been very wrong for a long time.

Axis have Lutzow which is a much better 3.5 cruiser than Takao.

13. crzyhawk

I think I am going to use the blue foam like Mikey used on his Strasburg. By the way, that was me that hit the rock. You won't be so fortunate this time. Suzuya and Tone 1v1 would be interesting, although it's a battle I imagine I'd come out the loser of.

14. Gettysburg114th

The foam that Swampy used held up to bb's very well.

15. crzyhawk

The stuff I got with my Invincible kit got torn up pretty good. I think I should have sealed it with epoxy like Mikey did with the blue foam on his Strasburg. It would be very cool to see two of the cruisers of Sentai 7 together on the water.

16. Gettysburg114th

Mike, Did you ever get the ribs scaled up for Tone?

17. crzyhawk

I have them now!

18. slow_and_ugly

slow_and_ugly Active Member

At building supply stores they have some foam flooring. It comes in interlocking pieces about 2 feet square and 1 inch thick. I have also seen these as playmats for children in bright colors. This foam is pretty dense and makes a decent superstructure.

19. crzyhawk

Interesting, I'll have to look for that. I'm looking for light weight superstructure solutions for several ships.