IJN Yamato Big Gun style

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by HTMills, Mar 5, 2015.

1. HTMills

HTMills Awesome Member

Hello everyone this is my build of the Yamato. I bought the hull from Battlers Conection and what a beuty she was or so I thought. Started laying out the systems pumps batterys guns etc. and noticed a rather large crown in the bottom. So I started to level out the bottom 3/4" of fiberglass layers later and the outside bottom of the hull was flat. Moving on to the inside of the hull I found that the 3/4" deduction was a lot. so if you buy this hull be prepared to do fiberglass work. skip my first step and cut the bottom out. Then replace it with 3/16" about 5 layors of fiberglass. I used a jig saw to cut it out leaving 1" all the way around the bottom. l then taped wax-paper to the outside bottom of the hull. Take your time on this step smooth is the key here. Then I clamped the hull right side up to a flat surface and started laying in the layors of fiberglass. The finished product is great and it only took one afternoon to complete.
    image.jpg image.jpg

2. HTMills

HTMills Awesome Member

While waiting on supplies for propulsion I started on the superstructure. The prints from BC made this job easy.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

3. HTMills

HTMills Awesome Member

Propulsion parts arived and installed I might regret not putting grease tubes in. Installed motors and gearing. Thank you dewalt cordless for the donations. At the same time built a box for the rudders and servo. Then finished it up with props and rudders a little paint.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Tugboat likes this.
  4. HTMills

HTMills Awesome Member

My next prodject was the cap-rail. This was straight forward fiber-glassed in no problems. I kept the pieces cut out of the middle with the gun layout to be use later.
    image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    CURT likes this.
  5. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the issue with the hull bottom. Chris Osborne's hull had no such issues. What is the main super structure made out of? Is that part of the kit ?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  6. HTMills

HTMills Awesome Member

Borrowed a set of guns from a club member so I could reverse engineer and build some. Started gun construction and casting molds for deck hardware/fitting.

image.jpg image.jpg

7. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Very nice. I love when people do topside detailing

8. HTMills

HTMills Awesome Member

Recently purchased some 75 BB canons from Striker. Started fiting them into superstructor.
    image.jpg

9. HTMills

HTMills Awesome Member

That bring the build up to date, well almost. Scrapped the bb canons for an earlier version of the Yamoto. Now in the process of adding 3/1 turrets on each side. Time to remake superstructure.
    image.jpg

10. HTMills

HTMills Awesome Member

Added speed controllers and charging system to boat. Now my main focus is on guns.
    image.jpg image.jpg And here some pics of my accumulators pieces and drive systems for turrets.
    image.jpg image.jpg

11. HTMills

HTMills Awesome Member

I will be using flex 80 to cast these parts. This material is like termite armor from battlers conection

12. HTMills

HTMills Awesome Member

The main superstructure is made out of foam for flower decoration. green pick it up at Wall Mart. when I get the desired shape I will cast it in Alumilite's flex foam. This should withstand several battles. but I don't know how well it will do being submerged havent ran the texts yet. hopefully it wont absorb the water like a spunge. The reason I was looking at it is for its weight/flexibility.

13. Cannonman

Cannonman Ultimate Hero :P -->> C T D <<--

Looks very nice!! Keep the pictures coming!

14. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Ahh. Look forward to the test results. Don't worry about weight of superstructure. That hull can take a lot of topweight.

15. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

That beast could take two full-sized car batteries and still be underweight. Of course, he's building for big-gun, so in addition to 9 main-battery guns, he could also arm the 12x 6.1" secondaries. Not sure if under big gun he can arm tertiaries, but if he can, that's another 12x 5" guns. Even that hull might get close to max weight with 33 gun systems in three different calibres in it. ;)

CURT likes this.
  16. Cannonman

5" cannons can typically be armed in big gun. I *think* anything over 3" can be armed in several of them. These small guns are only allowed to be armed with bbs though.

17. HTMills

HTMills Awesome Member

image.jpg this is the club chart. The Yamato pre 1945 had 9 x 46 cm/ 18" (3x3) and 12 x 15.5 cm/6" (4x3). Those will be armed. The 12 x 127 mm/5" (6x2) guns were AA and seeing as I already have to many guns to keep up with. I didnt fill the need to arm these. Most people only arm the main 9 and thats seems to do well. Mainly for intimidation I'm arming the additional 12 guns. I hope the headaches are worth it.

18. HTMills

HTMills Awesome Member

Ok did some work on guns today thought I would share some pics
    image.jpg This is a rough sketch of wht I hope to achieve.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg These are pics of my drill jig. It allows me to drill hole with amazing precision.
    image.jpg image.jpg This is stage one router jig and what it does.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I added lexan cover & bolted it down.
    image.jpg I used my bandsaw with my circle jig to achieve the outer radius. image.jpg image.jpg This is stage two router jig it does the bottom side.
    image.jpg image.jpg These pic show hole placement.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg and a few departing shots.

Attached Files:

Swiss Cheeze and Tugboat like this.
  19. Cannonman

Very impressive improvisation on cannon making!! Nice job!

20. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

MIND BLOWING!!! My lower jaw hit the floor and is at the other side of the room.