IJN Yamato

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by ish311, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Stuffing tubes even have grease fittings, sweet!

2. ish311

ish311 Active Member

IMG_0344.JPG
    balsa arrived so i'm starting the waterchannel. need a draw knife to do the shaping simply but exacto works well enough.
    stuffing tubes where to long so i got some balsa shaped it and soaked it in epoxy thoroughly not going anywhere not nor rotting.
    IMG_0345.JPG
    tenative placement of the pump and bottle with the second bottle being farther forwards facing back if the boat will handle the weight that far forward.

IMG_0346.JPG

got an order for solenoids started at $20.55 each as long as you order 10 or more. and 10 gives me enough to convert the kongo if i feel like it later.

3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Where from?

4. ish311

ish311 Active Member

us plastics. for the spartans

5. ish311

ish311 Active Member

IMG_0347.JPG
    motor mounts placed
    IMG_0348.JPG
    IMG_0349.JPG
    rough water channel in needs the final bits put in and pockets routed out but now waiting on parts again.

6. ish311

ish311 Active Member

going to use printed mags for at least the forward guns. nothing but trouble trying to route regular mags there so going experimental. the gun on the kongo is testing nicely and is significantly more compact than either a copper coil or a straight coil. printing 7 new coils will still probably order guns from bc and modify them the same way i did the bow gun on the kongo

7. ish311

ish311 Active Member

gun building starts next week was able to order enough parts to build 10 guns for $120 usd. cost me 3$ more to get more stuff parts due to bulk pricing. will require some lathe work to get the firing pin working but nothing serious.

well everything works accept i didn't order plugs to make the mag caps..... or enough caps to just make parts... so january before i finish the guns but solenoids won't show up before then anyway.... dealing with US plastics takes a really long time......

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  8. ish311

ish311 Active Member

Progress
    IMG_0351.JPG
    IMG_0352.JPG
    IMG_0354.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG still need to drill the vents on this one but not much left for functional cannons.

Panzer likes this.
  9. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

Very nice looking ant farms you have there, I was thinking of trying out some ant farms myself someday.

10. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Why the long length between coil and tee?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  11. ish311

ish311 Active Member

50 round coil and i needed some extra room to move the fill port somewhere where it wouldn't stick up through the deck in a bad spot (wrong picture that is actually one of the replacements for my Kongo going in the aft dual.) copper holds another 10 rounds so it's almost the allowed 75 round at that point.

12. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Going to be interesting getting it to feed. The long straight piece needs downangle, but the coil needs to be relatively level.

You got a part number on the Spartans? :)

13. ish311

ish311 Active Member

3827-070-FA81A

and yea the feed will be interesting there but i have the room and need the room it provides. sometime this weekend i will test fire the first gun as i broke my bit and can't finish drilling the rest of the vent tubes now.

14. ish311

ish311 Active Member

IMG_0356.JPG
    adjusted and fitted to the ship. just need to install the new rudder controls and Kongo is finally going to be 100% again. pressure tested one of the cannons and it works finally. some issues with blowby in the fitting but that was adjusted down.

...again wrong thread... i should just start putting all my boats in a post call Ish's never ending project pile.

15. ish311

ish311 Active Member

test fire says i messed up........ springs where to strong so i borrowed some from a working gun and it either spurt fires or doesn't. i think the piston is not returning to center now will polish it down and test more later. need to build a gun test rig. tired of wasting lots and lots of bb's. also need to just hook up my compressed air tank so i can not waste so much co2 as well.

16. ish311

ish311 Active Member

well i got it to only double fire but it double fired EVERY SINGLE TIME. stronger spring actually seemed to help my feeding issue but now i think the issue is that the rivet is sitting far enough down that it loads 2 bb's at once. will try a slightly longer rivet next. at least I got 50.

17. ish311

ish311 Active Member

cannon build stalled. if i take the rivet and springs out of another gun they work. but not with the stainless rivets i bought. anyone have a good place to get springs i can fix the rivet issue but the springs are just about impossible to find now.

18. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

You can get springs (and pistons) from Strike Models. They sell them separately.

19. ish311

ish311 Active Member

aye but at $3 each i'm looking elsewhere first. got 5 springs for $1.50 on the last try so off to somewhere else to try again

20. ish311

ish311 Active Member

IMG_0358.JPG
    started cutting the windows so i can put in the reinforcement. planning on putting some aluminum molded to the backsides of the ribs to keep as much internal volume as possible while still reinforcing the fiberglass well enough to keep it from being damaged. stalled due to weather.